Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

newbie where should i start

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

newbie where should i start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 06:44 PM
hpiracing07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie where should i start

Hey fellow poll men and women,

I started in this rc 2 years ago my first rc was a hpi savage, well its my only. But ive dropped almost 2500 dollars in it so i didnt have much more for another. But now I do, my parents have a house on the sasafras river in MD. One of my fathers freinds has a cigarette top gun 38 and i ABSOLUTLY love going over there and wrenching on it. I love the look of the cigarette and fountian marine boats, and also of the catermarans. My father owns Horst Group a construstion masonary....etc and i've grown up in the lifestyle of doing it my self so i would love to work from scratch on a boat as a father son project. I'm also a bit of a speed junkiy I race motocross and my pops and i love running his 2005 porsche 997 convertable. Reminds me that were on the cigarette or our chapperal. I don;t mind sspending my hard earned money working this summer for the best. Since we are on the Sasafras there are alot of calm inlets and rivers to run rc's on. I'm looking for speed and quilty. I would love to talk to anyone who lives in the lancaster pa, or earleville md area to talk about boats if yuo know anything. Or if anyone of yuo would be kind enough to list links that would be awesome if yuo would like to email me with pictures of yuor builds and parts lists my email is [email protected] my name is Evan but everyone calls me dirt for some reason.

thanks everyone in advance
Old 08-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Raylon

Default RE: newbie where should i start

Welcome, Dirt, to the wonderful R/C side of boats. It all depends on mainly two things. Budget and you preference of Electric or Nitro. I have one Nitro and I love it, but I am also looking forward to getting a fast electric soon. So answer those two questions and we can help you much more.

Ryan
Old 08-27-2006, 07:18 PM
hpiracing07

nitro,gas,nitro,gas,NITRO,GAS EITHER IS FAST[>:] ELECTRIC IS COOKL BUT NOT FOR ME
Old 08-27-2006, 07:19 PM
hpiracing07

sorry, and money doesnt matter but ive hear a gas or nitro boat is tons cheaper building than buying rtr
Old 08-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Raylon

Okay, it seems you wnat a Gas or Nitro. Still, a budget would be nice. If you say money is no object then I would recommend a $10k boat. So give us a budget and we can go from there. If you've got the money, gas is the way to go I think. Much cheaper than nitro, less tuning. More power for the bigger boats.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:21 PM
hpiracing07

well yeah i knew a sarcastic person would suggest a 10 k boat what is resonable fora boat i dont really know anything about rc boats 1grand 1500?it does have to be the fastest ive seen the shockwave55 that does 44 mph and that was 1000$ and it is and rtr how much cheaper would it be to build instead of buy a built one.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Raylon

Built, not sure. But I do know you can get a lot better boat than the shockwave for the money. I have been recently looking at Aeromarine Apache's. They are very nice looking boats. Warehouse Hobbies sell nice boats as RTR also. Thay are around $1000.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
hpiracing07

sorry typo it doesn't have to be the fastest
Old 08-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you say money is no object then I would recommend a $10k boat. So give us a budget and we can go from there
Not sure why anyone would recommend a $10k boat.

Welcome the the forum Dirt.
Looking to build something yourself. Good challenge.

Pick a style hull you like. In reality a deep Vee will be the most functional boat in basically all running conditions. Budget $200 - $350 for a good Vee hull and look in the 45-65" length range. Length being determined by the look you like, the price that works, and the length that will fit in your car.

Pick a reliable motor. A stock Sikk or Zenoah with tuned pipe will set you back around $350 with mounts.

They are the two big ticket items. You will also need to assemble the rest of your shopping list.

Heres a pretty comprehensive list (some items you may not need)

1 Hull
2 Engine, Collet
3 Engine Mounts, w/Throttle Bell crank
4 Fuel Tank
5 Fuel Line
6 Fuel Filter
7 Water Line
8 Bulkhead & Outlet Fittings
9 Exhaust Flange
8 Exhaust Header
10 Exhaust Pipe
11 Muffler
12 Pipe Mounting Bracket
13 Butch Block or T-Bar
14 Stuffing Tube
15 Flex Shaft
16 Drive Dog
17 Prop Nut
18 Strut Assembly
19 Rudder Assembly
20 Trim Tabs
21 Blind Nuts
22 Push Rods w/ Ends
23 Radio Box
24 Push Rod Seals
25 Servos
26 Servo Brackets
27 Receiver
28 On/Off Switch
29 Switch Mount
30 Antenna
31 Antenna Mount
32 Battery
33 Battery Indicator
34 Cowl Mounting Hardware
35 Floatation
36 Turn Fin (If Needed)
37 Fuel Tank Tray
38 1/4" collet for shaft
39 Tie-Raps
40 Decals
41 Extra SS Screws
42 Silicone
43 Zap CA glue
44 Boat Stand
45 Prop

I like the [link=http://groups.msn.com/JustaddwatasRCBoats/56apache.msnw]Aeromarine Apache (the 50" and 56[/link]" are both great) as well as the [link=http://groups.msn.com/JustaddwatasRCBoats/65inchouterlimitsgtsxxx.msnw]Expresscraft/XXXBoatworks 65" GTX[/link]. Any of these hulls setup with a stock Zenoah or sikk motor will give you speeds into the mid 40's. Total budget needed will be in the $1100 range (depending on some radio and hardware selections/options). You can spend more and you can also build one for less but you will have a good boat for $1100 if you DIY.

Dont hesitate to let us know how we can help
Old 08-28-2006, 04:49 PM
hpiracing07

Wow thanks a bunch just add wata does anyone have recomandations on any of the manufactures of any of these products. im going to start this not tell my dad how much it is going to cost him time wise we were going to build up a motocross bike but i wanted something new. Were both really good builing things and we know alot about real boats but links would be greatly apprecated! and yeah post pics!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:54 PM
hpiracing07

I also know from my boat expierence that cats are faster but vees r more stable guessing same with rc how much would a twin engine vee or cat cost with the hulls just add water suggested thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Raylon

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

Not sure why anyone would recommend a $10k boat.

Very true, I wouldn't either but it was just an example of why a budget is probably a good thing to know.[8D]

Justaddwata knows a ton more than I do. I learned quite a few things from that post.

Cat's are more stable in general because of their design, but they can't handle as many waves as Vee's can. So in rough water I guess you could say to a point they are more stable. They are nto likely to catch air and flip. Twin engine is probably not recommended for a first boat, but it can be done. Will probably need a much larger hull that 40" though.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want to build your own you can still look at the Warehouse Hobbies boats as they do offer them either built or as a complete kit. The savings in money isn't that much but at the same time you learn how to assemble and disassemble it for maintenance.
Seeing how you asked this question in the Gas forum people should assume that you want a gasser.
I have to look to see where I'm at sometimes also.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To setup a twin motor powered boat with the GTX or Apache hull your probably looking at around 60% more in price (about $1600 or so) but as mentioned. It is not recommended for a first build as there are many additional challenges in building and tuning that may need to be overcome. Twin engines are generally considered three times the amount of work and do not gurantee any gains in performance. Another option that will be more cost and effort effective may be an inline twin Zenoah similar to what VSOP is using in his 70" Phantom thread. It is not going to save you a considerable amount but gives you significantly more performance/power and the "twin" sound.

I am in the early stages of mounting a pair of these twins into a 65" GTX hull. I may have to opt for a single twin due to space and weight considerations but presently am on track for a pair. Not a recommended build though

As Ron mentioned. Warehouse hobbies have some good DIY options. For shopping for parts I would recommend looking at places like Rocketcityracing.com, Bonzisports.com, Warehousehobbies.com, BHHanson.com to get a feel for what you may need with this build. Should be a fun father son project though. I never did get my father involved in any of my hobbies [&o]