Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunderbolt glitching

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Thunderbolt glitching

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
mharvey1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunderbolt glitching

My new Thunderbolt has a fairly significant glitching problem - it cuts out intermittently at various locations then will pick back up. The boat was built by Tom at Expresscraft and the antenna is mounted inside the hull. I assume fiberglass does not interrupt the signal, but should I mount the antenna externally ?, or other ideas ?. The failsafe seems to be working properly. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Thunderbolt glitching

Do you have this issue at various ponds ? Could be outside interference. Could be an issue with the concealed antenna (though I have run antennas below deck on many boats without issue).
Old 10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
mharvey1

I have only run it on my lake and dont have the same problem with other boats....
Old 10-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Justaddwata

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you use the same radio with the other boats and have you tried swapping out receivers with non glitching boats ? Just to humor me - swap out your on off switch (had a friend with a T-bolt with same problem and it was his switch).
Old 10-10-2006, 01:21 PM
mharvey1

Do you use the same radio with the other boats and have you tried swapping out receivers with non glitching boats ? Not yet .

Just to humor me - swap out your on off switch (had a friend with a T-bolt with same problem and it was his switch). Will do. Thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 01:46 PM
xxxboatworks

Does it glitch on land when you walk away from it? Does it only glitch when the engine is running?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:49 PM
02f350psd

Yes, try the on/off switch!!!! It took me like 3 months to find it was the on/off switch on the thunderbolt. If you can, try to run the boat on a stand at your house (if you can run water through the engine) and walk away from the boat with the radio. This is what i did many times so i would not have to go after the boat when it died on the pond. Good luck! I feel your pain.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:06 AM
xxxboatworks

If Tom built the boat, you probably have servo lead extensions on your throttle and/or steering servos . Check the connections on the extensions. Maybe blow them out or spray with corrossion-X or wd40. The extension leads are a common source of the glitch you are getting. Hope this helps
Old 10-12-2006, 12:10 PM
mharvey1

Thanks for the replies. It appears I corrected the problem ..the receiver was just flopping around unprotected in an aluminum radio box. I secured and protected it and seems to be working okay now. I will, however, take the advise from this thread.