Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Hey, those look like my pictures![X(] I was going to upload them in here but those were too dark. The place was kind of dim.
We couldn''t get too close to the boats as they had them on tables behind ropes.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM
misshydro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha Ha Ha!!! I beat you to it!!![:''(] I''d copied it from you!!! Remember the pic of me and you together and you shown them to the guys on INTL chat room???? Well I saw more pics of that blackJack and saved them!! Man aint I a little stinker!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Old Mongoose

So after digging through all the posts I found yours and you seemed to be pretty knowledgable on the Blackjack 55's. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the boats. The BJ55 will be my first boat but I decided to make a project out of it anyway. I'm still trying to figure out the correct prop to use though. I also wanted to throw out a list of all the stuff going into the boat so maybe somebody can catch any potential problems that might arise. And does anybody have an idea of the potential of this boat with this setup..like speed wise? I really appreciate any help you or anyone else can give. Thanks again.

BONZÃ I2Zr Inline Zenoah w/ clutch
2- carb stacks
2- water pumps
extra water pick up (or should i just use the pickup off the stock rudder on the BJ55?)
have both the quiet pipes and racing tuned pipes with cooling collars
new Bonzi' kill switch
fail safe
2-Bonzi' fuel filters
electronic bilge pump
and of course the Blackjack 55 boat completely stock
Old 04-17-2008, 08:18 PM
theking549

hey, mongoose

inline engines will not fit on the blackjack that easy because its too long about 12 inches or so and also the stock engine is at an angle, you will have to modified the hull and the canopy. make space for a bigger gas tank or for two. i dont think it will look nice i tried to do the samething until i realized it was not going to work. instead i moded my engine all the way, i'll be posting new pictures tommorrow. if you want to see the pictures i posted when i was doing the engine work go to the bottom of page 8.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:20 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

whats the best flex shaft lube to use..didnt no if they were cheaper stuff you could buy from say autozone.

also whats best mixture to use with gas/oil mixture. and what oil everyone use?

thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM
theking549

hey, guys

check this out i was playing with my boat in the lake and the prop shaft snapped right in the middle of the lake, no i didn't hit a rock, or catch sea weed it just broke off. has any one had this happen to them. thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58879.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	934828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75214.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	934829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81081.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	934830  
Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 PM
stempak

The hot motor should be the qd35cc, Next with a qd25ht it will do over sixty mph with 25ht and is said to get flighty at about 60 with throttle to go. I would also switch the stock rudder system to a single setup such as speedmaster and that should give the boat better handling and better speed, 2 rudders add a lot of drag. And from my experiance have seen them reduce boat handling to the point of spinouts and roll over's. Also a fully modified 26cc zen proped and trimmed correctly should push the boat in the mid to high fifties.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Ron Olson

Theking549, it could have been a couple of things. The first one that comes to mind would be that you didn't have any space between the drive dog and strut for cable wind-up so when the cable shortened under load, it broke. Number two would be that it broke where the propshaft was notched for the drive dog.
I'm putting my money on the first one. More than likely it happened about the time that you were runnnig wide open or close to it.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 PM
SPAZTIXSIGN

whats the part number for the good spark plug. took the stock one by advance and they said didnt have a NGK that would match up
Old 04-25-2008, 10:04 PM
SPAZTIXSIGN

Old 04-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Ron Olson

I got my spark plugs at Advance Auto but you can try Auto Zone. NGK CMR7H with a Mfg. number 3066 on the end of the box. I paid around $16.00 for 4 of them but I had to wait about 2 days for them to arrive.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:37 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spax, that last pic is pretty cool. If you can get one at speed then
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 AM
SPAZTIXSIGN

ORIGINAL: GRANT ED

Spax, that last pic is pretty cool. If you can get one at speed then
thanks!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:16 PM
nverhulst

well, i was happy for the first two run with my bj55, then the clutch exploded and about cashed the crank on the motor. after seeing the way the boat handled to that point i decided to modify the boat the way it should have been when it came to the door in the huge box i so waited for.. i totally ditched the clutch for collet drive and moved the motor 2 inches forward, an d also ditched the water pump. has been running great, although i'm on my fourth gas tank from proboat, they tend to leak and crack alot, so im building one out of aluminum. the radio box does flex(depending on what kind of water you run it on) i run mine in just a about as water gets, and it leaks. i'm not scared to jump it over a 2 foot wave its great and fun. i was also unhappy witht he graphics ont he boat they are falling off and it hasnt even been 6 months. i also had problems with the kill switch fallling apart while running. note to the moving the motor.....i did have to redo the hull. i never wanted to modify the boat or the hassles but it seems you need to do the dirty work wether its a rtr or scratch built. and i agree with probaot being hit or miss with there boats. over im happy with it, draws a crowd athe the lakes where everyone runs there boats in my area.. i think i like it on the rougher water which cant be good for the hull but sees to cut right through the wave with the motor mounted forward balanced nicely.. good luck with your boat,, another boater friend nickoli
Old 05-03-2008, 10:23 PM
nguy0951

i'm also from illinois, where are you running your BJ55?
Old 05-03-2008, 11:31 PM
nverhulst

i run it in oak forest IL.. and int Michigan on the some weekends at my fiances parents place.. where do you run yours... be nice to have some one close with the same boat, thanks nickoli..
Old 05-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Ron Olson

Do you run at that forest preserve kind of SW of O'Hare?
If you ever get towards my city, let me know. I see a lot of Illinois plates here on the weekends.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:27 AM
nguy0951

wow you are way down south, i run mine in lake county up by wheeling forest preserve. theres a pond there called pawtowatomy
Old 05-04-2008, 04:04 PM
nverhulst

its off of 167th and cicero(rt 50) on the corner. we are like 30 min south of midway airport on rt 50. what carb are you running on yours? thinking of going bigger possibly this year. in the process of putting it back together modded the radio box to delete the screw down lid. was looking into pipes with a silencer and or possibly making the fake exhaust oulets actually work. dont think it would be all that hard maybe tig it up at work.. the aluminum tank im building should be done this week and should have some posting of my boat hopefully. im live in the lansing area in illinois, not mich..
Old 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM
nguy0951

hey maybe you can help me out with this problem, my zen260 has been dying on me when i put about half throttle to it. have you encounter this problem with your bj55? I think i'm gonna try to replace the spark plug with an ngk cmr7h to see if this fix the problem. help me if you can![]
Old 05-04-2008, 06:01 PM
nverhulst

well i have yet to have a problem with my motor running good, but a friend of mine had a torn diaphram that did something similar, possibly the power valve clogged up.. definately a carb issue.. this is my first gas boat, learning as i go. tired of the nitro hassles.. the first time i flipped mine and it sucked all that lake water inn, i had problems like that and i thoroughly cleaned it and i was amazed what i found in there.. ran fine after that. have you dry ran it with the hose one the water intake and does it do the same thing. i would try that. my friend keeps chanting at me power valve issues so i would check it out. hope i helped..
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 PM
TypeRC
My Feedback: (153)

ORIGINAL: misshydro

Ok found some more!!

Ok anyone have any more information on the twin drive setup? Price, website that sales the units. I've got got money to burn! Just picked up a BJ55 New RTR for $750.00 shipped. Plan to add some extra fiberglass to beef it all up. Not sure on the motor but would like something better then stock that would go good with the twin drive. Any more information would be great.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 10:12 PM
stempak

I think you'll find that. If you remove the clutch get your motor fully moddiffied. Also get the correct prop balanced and sharpened your boat will be doing near 60! and will probably be at the hulls limits. It is said to get (flighty at about 55-60) Adding some fiberglass is definately what this hull needs and might make the hull handle alot better? You can also if you get there move weight up front. By moving the gastank forward aswell as possibly the radiobox.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 AM
suomalainen

Center of gravity is too much in rear,mayby if change that fuel tank place front of the engine it would be more stabile to handle and drive.
And second what i have found is that rudders are to short,so it wont turn as good it should,but drobing those original rudders 5mm lover it
is whole new boat.I do recomend all owners do that
Or buy this ready made stuf by aeromarine laminates http://www.aeromarinerc.com/
One thing is also little bit annoying,drivecable is not 1/4inc,it is 6mm,and whats really is not good is that prop saft,thats 5mm...
Easyest thing to modified those broplems is buy prop saft,flex cable,flex ferrule,drive dog and new strut like a bonzi sports shop.
So you dont nead any more to think where to buy props,because that prop adapter what comes in original whit boat is 6.5mm,so you need to dril biger hole those 1/4 inc props..
But if you buy those parts example for bonzi you can use all normal size props,and it would be much stronger made that broboat material.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:26 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Mannymach1, or anyone else....

How did the 6717/3 blade prop work out on this boat? I had a AC BC 40 with a mid mod Zen at one point and boy that prop was something else. Ron saw it run at the last fun run, Boat would do 30-35 with a p270....switched to a 6717/3 and she was in the 50's!!!!!

Just thinking it may be to much for this motor...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.