Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

clutch or no clutch?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

clutch or no clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:51 PM
jonnygofast15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch or no clutch?

hi im jo and im 15 im building a 46-48 wild thang type hull and im putting a 25-35cc weedie and was wonderin if i should use a clutch or i shouldnt use one? and would it be neccesary to change props?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:12 PM
tazmaniaboats

Default RE: clutch or no clutch?

hello
a clutch is extra weight +less power +more items to break and this means less speed also you need a 3 channel remote etc .remove evreything and fix acollet directly to the crunch .
on the other side if your boat is heavy you will enjoy a clutch as you start on land gently put the boat on water and there you go .but i like the old way start throw it in the sea and run.
some times starters are fixed to engines and no need to bring boat to shore as a push button on the 4 channel remote will do the job.[more complications ]
Old 10-18-2006, 04:13 PM
tazmaniaboats

hello
by the way what is the prop issue.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:34 PM
tractor1964

WHY WOULD YOU NEED A 3 CHANNEL TO RUN A CLUTCH??? I DONT. YOU HAVE ASK THIS SAME QUESTION SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Flabum

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4808234/tm.htm
Old 10-18-2006, 05:10 PM
gasfreak
My Feedback: (13)

If you are a beginner boater and looking at your age you almost have to be the clutch is the only way to go not sure what the hell taz is talking about you only need a basic 2 channel radio and they do not rob power the only problem is you have to run a water pump well this is not a problem all you need to do is keep your pulse line that drives the pump 5 inches or shorter if possible if you run a marine specialties clutch they are less than a pound and they are very good clutches I own 2 of them with no problems you should just save your money and get a zenoah you will not be dissipointed
Old 10-18-2006, 06:30 PM
xxxboatworks

ORIGINAL: tazmaniaboats

hello
a clutch is extra weight +less power +more items to break and this means less speed also you need a 3 channel remote etc .remove evreything and fix acollet directly to the crunch .
on the other side if your boat is heavy you will enjoy a clutch as you start on land gently put the boat on water and there you go .but i like the old way start throw it in the sea and run.
some times starters are fixed to engines and no need to bring boat to shore as a push button on the 4 channel remote will do the job.[more complications ]
There is never a shortage of useless and incorrect information here. If you don't know the answer, please don't guess...it does not help anybody.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:38 PM
jonnygofast15

ummm... does anyone recomend electric start and how would u make it work from the radio (for in the water starting)
Old 10-18-2006, 07:42 PM
bconway

I have a clutch on my Zenoah because I always thought it was neat to have the option to sit and idle. I have no intrest in electric start because it rarley dies out on the water, and I'm sure it would be heavier with the starter/battery.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:55 PM
jonnygofast15

yea that makes since umm how much is the cheapest clutch for a weedie and where?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The cheepest weedie clutch will depend on the motor your using.

Clutches are great for sport boaters and larger models. The added weight is not significant and they are very reliable and low maintainence.

I have to agree with XXX on the post from Tasmaniaboats. It does not sound like advice from someone who has ever run or seen a gas boat being used. []
Old 10-18-2006, 09:11 PM
jonnygofast15

does any one recognize this motor its a homelite and came off a blower.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35048.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	543619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32430.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	543620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62850.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	543621  
Old 10-18-2006, 09:22 PM
crazyotto
My Feedback: (2)

start the boat and throw it in the water and go !!! thats my philosophy
Old 10-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Flabum

That motor looks like a 23 or 25 cc motor, hard to tell without knowing the bore and stroke of the motor. Look for a decal on the motor or the blower it came off of, sometimes the model # of the device will incorporate what cc the motor is. If it's a free-bee motor, it will be a good start with your boat, just ge someone to stick the flywheel in a lathe and knock the fins off. You could add a clutch to it or just go with a straight shaft off it. I'd leave it air cooled unless you want to turn it into a hopped up marine engine but I wouldn't put any money into that engine. Just clean it up and use it till it dies, don't expect great speed from it since it likely is a low horsepower engine. Your better off saving your money for a Zen or Sikk.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:47 PM
jonnygofast15

r u talkin about the fins against my fingers? so i dont need to jus take and grind them off because there would be a risk of it being off balance so i need to remove that back plate and take jus the shaft and finned part to my good buddy with a lathe and let him remove them. or could i knock em off as even as possible with a grinder cause it wont be spinnin fast enough to worry bout ballance that much or will it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31770.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	543658  
Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 PM
jonnygofast15

if this helps which i dont think it will the ut no. is 0811 whish i dont think its a 11cc motor. is the last two of the serial # the year model because if so its an 86 which is beleivable but it still runs fine jus the primer buble busted but itll crank and run a few seconds off a squirt of either(starter fluid) and it sounds good.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 AM
tazmaniaboats

hello
justaddwata in malta only 2 boaters use clutches and they use 3 channel remotes why i don,t know and i can asure you i see a lot of boats running and by the way my job at the moment is a auto electrician-mecanic so i think i know what is a clutch etc and the chanches of power losses.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:24 AM
tazmaniaboats

hello johnnygofast
in malta a guy bought a starter system for about 250 dollars but the space in hull +weght issue was a problem
Old 10-19-2006, 12:39 AM
tazmaniaboats

hello johnnygofast
i think it,s better to invest in a zenoah than that engine as that engine is less than 25 c c for sure and i,m not sure about the pull start.also see the way the engine turns so you dont get disapointed
Old 10-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to hear your " job at the moment is a auto electrician-mecanic"

Being a licensed diesel technician and design engineer who has run weedwacker motors in boats for better than 20 years and I currently own more than 30 gas powered boats. I have seen plenty run too and I think I can also qualify that I know what a clutch is, how it works, and a thing or two about RC boats

Tazman - If you revisit your comments quoted by XXX I think you will find that the advise you are providing is unqualified, unfounded, and unusable. Personally I believe it is better to give no advice than bad advice.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:47 AM
crazyotto
My Feedback: (2)

if im a shoe saleman .....can i tell you about clutch shoes???
Old 10-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Flabum

The serial # will not give any information of the size of that engine, either way, I would not expect anyting other than using it to have fun with in the boat you are going to put it in. If you are looking for speed, you will need a Zen or Sikk or any other good motor out there, simply put, the Homies are old news.
Also, you will need a lathe to get those fins off properly to keep that engine balanced. One other thing.... since those are the fan blades that normally keeps air going across the engine, you will not want to idle that thing around too much... you will need to keep the boat up to speed for good air flow.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Flabum

ORIGINAL: tazmaniaboats

hello
justaddwata in malta only 2 boaters use clutches and they use 3 channel remotes why i don,t know and i can asure you i see a lot of boats running and by the way my job at the moment is a auto electrician-mecanic so i think i know what is a clutch etc and the chanches of power losses.

Three channel radios in a boat are only needed if you are controlling another function other than throttle and steering in the boat, I have seen trim tab set-ups using the third channel. You can get creative with boats using more channels like makeing hatches open, adding lights, winches etc, but who wants all that extra weight?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Flabum

Al Bundy is here?

ORIGINAL: crazyotto

if im a shoe saleman .....can i tell you about clutch shoes???
Old 10-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Davcruz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jonnygofast15

r u talkin about the fins against my fingers? so i dont need to jus take and grind them off because there would be a risk of it being off balance so i need to remove that back plate and take jus the shaft and finned part to my good buddy with a lathe and let him remove them. or could i knock em off as even as possible with a grinder cause it wont be spinnin fast enough to worry bout ballance that much or will it
If that came off a blower, it would be a 25 or 30cc, most likely a 25cc. The citical part you are missing is the housing that covers the crank trigger/flywheel and it also holds the pull start.

The fins that get machined off IF you want to add a water cooling cap to it are the upper 3-4 fins on the jug. This is best done by a machine shop using a lathe. You would also then need a cooling cap for the jug. I suggest you just run it as is and do not run a hatch. The motor will stay nice and cool and you will not have to put money into it.

Also, you can get a clutch for it. You will need the crank extender and then all the clutch pieces. I think that WHH has what you need, also Marine Specialties has the parts also I believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.