Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Maiden Voyage Redux

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Maiden Voyage Redux

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:52 AM
The_Bishop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden Voyage Redux

Here it goes, again.

First and last time out with the Homelite 30cc motor in it. I'm going Zenoah!

After a lot of trials and tribulations, I finally got my WHH Manta Ray built and in the water today. It was *super* windy, and there was a decent amount of chop with some whitecaps in the water.

The Manta Ray hull ran over the chop like it was glass. I still haven't mounted the trim tabs, either - Just adjusted the drive a bit to get the bow down. The wind didn't seem to make too much of a difference; this hull had good aerodynamics, too.

She ran pretty quick, even though it was powered by a homelite. Somewhere in the 35 MPH range, but running very wet with the drive angle set to bring the bow down.

But my EBay Zenoah 260 PUM showed up in the mail friday... And aside from having to get a new exhaust (Will overnite it from WHH tomorrow - Gotta get back in the water!!) it's 95% installed already. Gotta feed that need for speed!

I would've had pics. The other guy running with us had a digital cam going and also shot some movies. *BUT* he mounted it on his boat so he could shoot movies while running. Great idea, except for when his boat flipped, the mount came off, and sent his camera to Davy Jones's locker. So my pics and some video are sitting in the bottom of the Passaic river.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:35 PM
The_Bishop

Default RE: Maiden Voyage Redux

Well, finally got a chance to run the boat with the Zenoah...

HOLY CRAP!

It looked twice as fast. Of course, my friend picks that day, of all days, to forget his radar gun.

Being as we got to the water just before sunset, there wasn't a lot of time for tweaking or tuning.

I will say something - The Warehouse Hobbies hull kicks ass. It handles like a dream. It's also quicker in a bit of chop; It slowed down noticeably in smooth water, but when I stirred things up with my own wake, you could hear the motor pick up.

It also didn't help that my Octura X572 was bag-raw, either. It had arrived that morning and I didn't have time to do anything to it.

However, if all goes well, I'll be able to run again Sunday. This time, the prop is sharpened, balanced and polished. I previously had the drive just slightly negative with the trim tabs positive (was playing with the trim tabs to get the nose up a bit, hull was running wet), now everything is dead level, zeroed out. I'm going to leave it that way and get the motor tuned right before I start playing with the other settings. The motor is still running rich, on the stock carb needle settings.

Any power tips/bolt on mods? I'm running the Warehouse Hobbies wet tuned pipe, stock Zenoah with a Walbro WT-257 carb, which looks almost exactly the same as the stock Zen carb, minus the choke and primer bulb.

Any prop ideas? I E-Bay'd an Octura 1475, thinned, sharpened, balanced and modified (back cut, pitched up, tongue removed) from Redline. While I can do props, I don't have the patience or the practice to mod them that far.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:18 AM
old salty

This is good news as I am going to get a whh boat with a mod zen, manowar or manta ray just dont know yet, how bout some pics of the boat now that it is done [8D]
Old 11-04-2006, 06:03 PM
The_Bishop

As soon as I get out of work in the morning, I will.

Hopefully, I'll be able to shoot some action pictures of it tomorrow. We'll see.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:18 PM
The_Bishop

Well, here are some pics, finally. The quality isn't so hot due to them being shot with my El-Cheapo $100 digital movie/still pic cam.

First - The mighty recovery vessel!

7.5 feet of pure luxury powered by 12 volts of amazing power. It flies right along at the speed of a fast walk. It may be cheap but it brings the expensive toys back to shore when needed.

Getting fueled up and ready to go.

In the water.

Here we go!

And two movies, Both short. It's not easy shooting pics/video and driving at the same time!

[link=http://fireandsteel.com/boat/boat1.asf]Video 1[/link]

[link=http://fireandsteel.com/boat/boat2.asf]Video 2[/link]
Old 11-10-2006, 12:11 PM
The_Bishop

Here are some more pics from another run. My 10 year old nephew shot these pics for me while I was driving, and he did a great job.

Slowly but surely sneaking up on the right tune and/or drive adjustments, it keeps getting faster and faster.

And another, longer video.

[link=http://www.speakeasy.net/~kmezzina/boat1.wmv]Video[/link]
Old 11-10-2006, 03:48 PM
saleens7

niiiiiiiiiiice!!!![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-10-2006, 04:42 PM
The_Bishop

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Flabum

Nice rooster.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great keith,I guess i'll save the homie for a cabin cruiser [:-]
Old 11-12-2006, 08:18 PM
The_Bishop

Hah - Don't count the Homie out - It runs strong. I'm just a speed freak.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:40 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the vid, that is amazing! I love the rooster, looks like it's 15 feet high! Was it that high with the Homie?

Ryan
Old 11-12-2006, 08:51 PM
gasfreak
My Feedback: (13)

I ran my Super G hull today and this is about all I could get out of it dont know if it will go too much faster it was really really lose on the water at that speed and I was by myself what amazes me is how little time it took to put almost 5 miles on the water I reset it every time I put it on the water
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74125.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	559123  
Old 11-12-2006, 10:07 PM
The_Bishop

It was pretty decent, but not that high with the Homelite.

Gasfreak, what are you using for a motor? That's pretty fast for that hull as far as I can figure.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:54 AM
v8master

well i like those videos it sounds like ur not runnin an exhaust lol. i made a exhaust at school but it not that good not many stuff at school 2make 1 with but its better then the stock 1 it will be goin on a 25cc im still buiding the boat ill post pictures when it looking better lol its my first build so not the best

catch ya and well done with your boat
Old 11-13-2006, 07:10 AM
gasfreak
My Feedback: (13)

it is one of warehouse hobbies first stage modified motors he only charges 50 bucks to do it I bet you could tell a big difference in your manta ray if it is stock now the motor is very reliable and easy to tune
Old 11-13-2006, 08:12 AM
The_Bishop

Well, there just might be a new jug in the mail from a certain place *coughredlinecough* that'll give me a few more MPH.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:23 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wicked video and a cool looking boat,what exhaust you running?,the europeans and brits use dif pipes to the americans and i gotta say they are pretty quiet compaired to the ones in the usa.what size homie did you have in it before?.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:55 AM
The_Bishop

That's the Warehouse Hobbies tuned wet pipe. I'm probably going to put one of the T-Mod mufflers on it to quiet it down a bit.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:04 PM
martno1fan

hi it wasnt meant as a negative i was just pointing out some of the pipes used over here are quieter even without the silencer .what size homie did you have before?.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The MPBA and NAVIGA have tighter restrictions on their dB levels than what we do here in the States. This is something that the sanctioning bodies here are looking at to help us keep our racing sites and hearing.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:22 PM
cwaterhunter

ok here is a question i got a mean machine hull on e-bay,, i plant to use a trx 2.5r in it i am going to put a marine head on it... i am wondering what sixe cable and prop yo use the out drive that came with it is a GROUPNER best nr. 3341.. thanks mark
Old 11-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

cwaterhuner, you're in the wrong forum. Note that I edited your posting. Please read the site rules. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:32 PM
The_Bishop

It's ok, I didn't take it as a negative - Even I think it's a bit too loud.

Losing access to water due to noisy boats is slowly but surely making it harder and harder to run here in NJ.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:06 PM
martno1fan

if the silencer doesnt work you may want to try the european pipes they are very quiet just dont get one from the uk or you may get a shock [X(] big mega bucks lol.i know what you mean about the noise hehe but a bit of noise is good pitty the neighbours dont allways agree lol.loved the videos by the way but you need to get that kid taught lol just kidding!!.mind you anythings better than letting the wife use the camera haha.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.