Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

COMPLETELY HOME MADE BOAT

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

COMPLETELY HOME MADE BOAT

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:17 AM
tatolazo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COMPLETELY HOME MADE BOAT

Hi:
This is my completely home made boat, using plans provided from Jan Polestra.
The hull is 132cms, the beam is 42 cms, the weight is 8.5 kilos ( 17 pounds) the engine is a standar ( out of the box) homelite 25 ngine with the 8-9 mm venturi carb, the prop is a prtaher stainlesssteel 275.

The drive is custom made by me. in stainless steel. Just the prop shaft, the ferrule and the drive dog are from prather.

I built model airplane since 1986 and the last 6 yeras I have been using gas engines, just for the sound of this homelite it sounds like it would like some more rpms. What do you think to bolt on a prather 265 - 260 prop???

What mods could I make in these props.

I´m planning to switch to a 257 walbro carb. In this case i think the 257 prop will be correct or not??

I´m asking because i´m quite sure this is the only one gas boat running in Chile, so I have no further experience from any R/c pal.

Hope you enjoy it.

Tato Lazo.

P.D.
Thanks Jan for your plans, I modified the deck, as you can see, but it loons quite well in the water.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25742.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	557603  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:21 AM
tatolazo

Default RE: COMPLETELY HOME MADE BOAT

Another

Name:	Xv64057.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	557618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14547.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	557619  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:40 AM
tatolazo

Hi:
Another pics closer

Name:	Zx72099.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	557628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46413.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	557629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48911.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	557630  
Old 11-10-2006, 02:06 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi the boat looks fantastic what speed you getting from her?,id love to see some pics of the build and the hardware you made?.also if the plans are available id love a set this boat is just what im looking for as i have a nice 28 cc weedy motor to go in it.nice paintwork you did too keep the pics coming you should be proud of your build.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:50 AM
v8master

do u hav a pic of it just sittin in the water not runnin from the back ????
and front

thanx
Old 11-11-2006, 06:07 AM
pompebled

Nice work Tato!

The boat looks great on the water, I like your deck lay-out and the paintjob!

Some pictures of the boat on the stand, showing the details would be nice.

For those who want plans: Tato's boat is build from modified plans of the Screwdriver by Pat Simmons. (MM-plans nr.1120 UK)

Regards, Jan.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:18 AM
martno1fan

dont supose you have a link to some in pdf jan?id like to build one.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:51 AM
tatolazo

Hi:
Thanks for the comments.
I will be posting more pics of the boat deatils, the drive and the paint scheme.
In the meanwhile, I noticed I lost the plans from Jan. The plans actually was 1 sheet of paper with all the bulkheads in it and a note with the distance between them. The deck was self inspiration...jejeje

I have no measured the speed, but I think will be around 30-35 MPH. I know I can get more from her. The engine has run only 2 to 3 liter of gas and is brand new. The carb is the standar with little venturi, and the prop is a prather 275, may be a 265 or a 270 will give more rpms.

Stay alert for more pictures..

Tatolazo
Old 11-11-2006, 08:13 AM
martno1fan

hi look anything like this engine? mines 28 cc i was told by a lawnmower company that it could be a homelite although it says sovereign on the cover.ill look forward to more pics if you find the plans id like to see them? i have the gas mono plans and i was going to build a larger version as i built a scaled down one last year for nitro.but i like youres as i like the height of it on the water ,maybe i could raise the sides of these a bit though. you can get more rpm by polishing the ports on your engine just using rolled up wet and dry and some polishing paste or so ive been told.ive not done it yet but my mate mods 2 stroke bike engines and he says it works great.he gained 4000 rpm on his weedy motor by doing this.[img][/img]

Name:	Ca80526.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	558128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93858.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	558129  
Old 11-11-2006, 09:23 AM
gasfreak
My Feedback: (13)

you will not get another 4000 rpms out of that motor it will not stay together very long even if you could get that much more out of it
Old 11-11-2006, 09:34 AM
martno1fan

hmm well my mates is a 25cc zen weedwacker so you may be right about that i wasnt meaning he will get 4000 from this one but he will get quite a bit.sorry if i confused anyone lol,but from what ive read you can get quite a bit more from these homelight engines with a few tweaks here and there.this one of mine says sovereign but when i asked a mechanic about it he said it looks like a homelite as sovereign uses theyre engines and sticks its own labels on them.not sure hes right what do you think?.either way i will be polishing the ports on it when i get round to it.it can only help i also have a spare one that i can experiment on first in case i make a pigs ear of it lol!!.also i doubt hes getting 30 to 35 mph from that homelite especially as hes using the standard exhaust ,i think? at least i dont see a pipe in the pics!!. id say more like 20 to 25 tops what do you think?.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:10 AM
4X4FABGUY

your engine looks more like a ryobi to me than a homelite. could be wrong, but i have a craftsman pro brushwhacker engine in mine that looks alot like it. mine was made by ryobi with a craftsman sticker on it. after some port timing and compression, squish band mods it runs pretty well. also tuned pipe and big carb. i got 40 mph from a 15 lb boat, enough to make it fun for sure.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:11 AM
gasfreak
My Feedback: (13)

you are probably right about the speed I just hate to guess on the speed thing but you are probably about right I had a modified 30 cc homelite and I thought it ran pretty good it had some pretty major port work done to it had a 257 carberator and a tuned pipe that ran through the hull I thought I was bad running with others with stock 30 cc homelites and one of them bought a zenoah from warehouse hobbies and man did I get left behind and I have boght about 4 of them since then I dont think that homelite makes a 28 cc I have only heard of 25 and 30 cc the way you can tell is look at the exhaust port and if it has a vertical bar in it it is a 25 cc and if not it is a 30 cc but you can make them run alright just dont expect to run with a zenoah by the way I had to put 3 crank bearings in the homelite before I gave up on it and jumped on the zenoah bandwagon there is plenty of room on the wagon for you also but you can have fun with any motor so Git Er Done
Old 11-11-2006, 11:25 AM
martno1fan

thanks for the replys dont worry ill get her done ill be happy with 25 mph for now anyway ,and that zen is allready in the back of my mind when i can afford one[X(]!!.also you know what these company who sell weed whackers are like theres probably no knowing which engine i have i sent off the serial numbers to a company and they cant identify it.the guy who told me it might be a homie said they just went bust?true or not.i only paid£15 for it and now i have two so cheap as chips as we brits say cant go wrong for that price.should give me some fun for a while .now back to his boat i cant wait to see pics of his home made drive and the whole set up ,also his paint job looks very impressive.tato any chance of some video of your boat ? be nice to see how well she runs!!
mart
Old 11-11-2006, 11:17 PM
tatolazo

Martno1fan:

As I remember I was about to install a ryobi 32 cc on the boat so Jan told em to enlarge it 10%. I did enlarged the bulkheads and also the distances between them. The hull looks to high, when looked by the side ( it looks almost like a paddle boat) so even I cut down 3 cms. and then I turn over the hull over a cardboard and draw the silouette with a pencil to make the deck .

If you look by tatolazo probably you could find the original post of the construction ( a year ago or before)
Homelite only makes 25 and 30 cc. You could look for in engine conversions forum and will find out some ryobis, homelites and similars.

I guess your engine will be fine in this boat, even enlarged 10% as mine. the clue is to build it light. I made the mold in hard cardboard to obtain a fberglass mold, then used the mold to obtain the final hull. Same procedure for the deck.

As I told you there is no such plans, just the bulkheads and the distances...I asked to Jan to email me again the files, i lost them because I save them at the office and moved to a new work ( forgot to retrieve them).

If I get them will post them here.

Hope this can help

Tato Lazo
Old 11-11-2006, 11:31 PM
tatolazo

I already have a video, but it weight almst 200 mb. can anybody tell me how and where to post it???
the paint job was made in my apartment balcony, as well as the hull fiberglass mold. I lost a lot of neurones as you can guess....jejejeje

Even some day a R/C fellow went for a visit. he ask me to open the door and when he arrived at the 5th floor ( no elevator there) he was smiling...
what??? I asked...
you are doing something with your boat, he said...the fiberglass smell terrible in the 1st floor!!!!!!

Tato Lazo
Old 11-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Biggest free hosting site I know of allows 100mb of video. You may be sunk with 200mb. I am not sure what the RCU video limit is but it may be worth checking out.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:51 AM
John Howell

ORIGINAL: tatolazo

I already have a video, but it weight almst 200 mb......
If you use Windows XP then use the built in Windows Movie Maker to reduce the size of the video using compression or by splitting it into smaller chunks. If a video is bigger than 20meg then I usually won't download it.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 AM
martno1fan

thanks for the reply tato ill do a search for your build and see,im sure my engine will do fine whatever make it is at least for a bit of fun till i can afford a zen 260 to take its place.the frames is all id need to build the boat i was a boat builder by proffesion some years ago so thats not a problem.if i build it i will use ply wood 1/16 for the skin and 1/4 for bulkheads and engine rails.also as said downsize your video file and post it.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:35 AM
martno1fan

cant seem to find your original post on your build tato if you could provide a link id appreciate it.can you post some pics of your hardware and set up etc .also any info on how you made your drive would be great also.have you tried the smaller prop yet? id say a 270 would be better for your motor.have you thought about polishing your ports on your engine ? i dont exactly know how but my mate is going to help with the details on that as he mods 2 stroke bike engines for racing.ill look forward to seeing more pics soon.
mart
Old 11-13-2006, 10:22 PM
tatolazo

Hi:
Here some pics of the details. the drive was made in 2mm stainless steell, just as simple as you can see, the tube that hols the 3/16" prop shaft has a inner brass tube from 3/16" to 1/4" or so and has a lot of 2 mm holes to keep some grease in avoiding it to flow out when running. This has resulting very efficient.

The prop shaft is intoduced into a prather ferrule thats is silver soldered to the flex shaft ( from the same homelite trimmer I got 2 pieces with square end)

I have a 265 prather prop to sharp and balance for the next time.

Even the motor mount was home made in 1,5 mm stainless steel. Would be better 2 or 2,5 mm ( 3/32") in order to diminish some vibration , but the rubber dumpers do their jon very well. The ply rails are 10 mm thick and are quite strong. I did not wanted to take risks with 6 mm (1/4") ones.

The drive is bolted to a wall of 2 layers of fiberglass, one 1/8" ply and other layer of fiberglass..very strong, I guess around 5 mm thick.

The hole in the windshield was necessary in order to bentilate the engine. In the future may be I will make a new deck with air intakes already molded in, to make it more elegant.

The fuel is 93 octane with 32:1 mix.
The rudder servo is a hitec 1/4 scale, the ethrottle has a normal servo and the battery is 1300 mha in the RX.

Today I runned over choppy water, it jumped as hell and handles very well the rought water.
Hope to deal with the video and post it youtube or similar.

Tato

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_20...tm.htm#2079533

Old 11-13-2006, 10:26 PM
tatolazo

the pics

Name:	Ca81729.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	559894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71729.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	559895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51002.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	559896  
Old 11-13-2006, 10:29 PM
tatolazo

general view, the mold

Name:	Wu61279.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	559897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20349.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	559898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92823.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	559899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35492.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	559900  
Old 11-14-2006, 04:13 AM
martno1fan

thanks man ,i was also thinking of making my own strut only to be told not to do it as it wouldnt be a good idea.thanks for the pics and if you get those frames send me a copy please!!.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:18 AM
jdoug

tatolazo - I also scratch built a boat with a 25cc Homey in it. The best prop I found for it was a modified P275. I took it down to between 72 - 73 mm. I then back cut about 1/16" and barr cut to get the RPM's up on bottom end. I then rounded the tips of the prop. This makes the prop have less lift and more forward thrust and you will be able to tell when you see that the roost won't quite be so high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.