Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

gas engine newbie need help

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

gas engine newbie need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 PM
snakeboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas engine newbie need help

[&:][&:] hi just got my first gas engine boat that comes with JZ GP260M engine which is 1 to 1 of the Zenotha 260pum. Can anyone tell me where are the choke is located at or looks like. I look an look and nothing can be pull , slide move that look like a choke to me. I got zenotha manuel it only said to choke the engine but on all the diagram , it does't not shown any choke at all. I haven't start my boat yet until i find the choke, please advise !!!! thank yhou thanke you !!!!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:19 AM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: gas engine newbie need help

ORIGINAL: snakeboy

[&:][&:] hi just got my first gas engine boat that comes with JZ GP260M engine which is 1 to 1 of the Zenotha 260pum. Can anyone tell me where are the choke is located at or looks like. I look an look and nothing can be pull , slide move that look like a choke to me. I got zenotha manuel it only said to choke the engine but on all the diagram , it does't not shown any choke at all. I haven't start my boat yet until i find the choke, please advise !!!! thank yhou thanke you !!!!!!
Please post pic's of boat and motor.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:43 AM
snakeboy

http://cgi.ebay.ca:80/ws/eBayISAPI.d...B:EOIBSA:CA:11

This is the boat i just got from ebay, very nice boat, but is my first gas engine boat , so i don't even know where to find the choke?? Here is the pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19720.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	559308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10119.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	559309  
Old 11-13-2006, 12:47 AM
xxxboatworks

See that little brass shaft that sticks out next to your throttle arm? Turn it and you will open/close your choke. 1/4 turn to the left and the choke will close. 1/4 turn to the right and it will open.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:03 AM
snakeboy

Hi XXX thanks for reply, i did noticed that brass stick, i was playing with it but it feel so tight, i was afraid to turn it !!!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 01:52 AM
xxxboatworks

You may want to push a small piece of fuel tubing over it. It will make it easier to grip and turn. A few companies also sell a small arm you can put on to make it even easier to turn.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:34 AM
snakeboy

ok got it to turn, but cranking it for 15 min, nothing happen, couldn't get it to start. I checked the sparkplug, i can see it spark, but one thing i notice that , i look into the engine head after remove the sparkplug, i don't see any gas in there is it normal?? on my nitro engine when i open the sparkplug and pull, i can see the fuel coming out, but i don't see nothing in the hole???? what is the best way to start a brand new engine??? thanks[:@][:@][:@][&o][&o]
Old 11-13-2006, 02:41 AM
unclecrash

Im not a gasser but you see that little clear ball thing on top of carb it might be a primer bulb push it if it pushes in its a primer to put gas in to chamber I have one on my weed whip push it 2or 3 times make sure the flap in the carb or the choke is closed so you cant see in the carb this means the coke is on. then pull away. Dave
Old 11-13-2006, 03:17 AM
unclecrash

Well whats the story did you get it to fire. Dave
Old 11-13-2006, 04:22 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think that is definately a primer bulb my weedy motor has one just like it, as said pump it 6 times and open the choke and it should start up.my engine says ten times but ive found six is enough .
Old 11-13-2006, 09:58 AM
xxxboatworks

Snakeboy,
Push the primer bulb a few times till you see fuel (this does not prime the "chamber" ). Now close the choke and pull the cord (at half throttle) a couple times and it should "pop". Once it pops, open the choke and pull again while keeping it at about 1/2- 3/4 throttle. If you "pull away" with the choke closed, you will flood the engine. Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:26 PM
unclecrash

Well ya your going to flood it if ya dont open the choke once it fires. I got the same setup on my weedwhip. just a figure of speech. I forgot he didnt know nothing about motors. Normally once an engine fires or stays running you hurry and open the choke. Ya it primes the crankcase whatever
Old 11-13-2006, 12:52 PM
xxxboatworks

ORIGINAL: unclecrash
Ya it primes the crankcase whatever
Nope...primes the carb
Old 11-13-2006, 01:26 PM
martno1fan

lol,what ever it does it starts the engine lol .just prime the thing give it choke ,start it then no choke and away she goes lol.works every time for me on every petrol engine ive ever had .
Old 11-13-2006, 01:29 PM
unclecrash

A+ Dont matter to me I know the basic principals of running trimmers chainsaws mowers. Most people know to choke a motor to draw the fuel. and when it fires or starts running to turn it off. or yes I agree it will flood or worst yet foul the plug.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:03 PM
xxxboatworks

ORIGINAL: Most people know to choke a motor to draw the fuel. and when it fires or starts running to turn it off.
Yes, but the guy asking the question does not know (which is why he is asking). If you are going to make a post, it would be nice if all your information and terminology are correct. Can't see the point in filling a newbie with confusing and incorrect info.

Unclecrash, you say that it "don't matter to me...." That's great it does not matter to you, but it does matter to the guy who needs the help.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:53 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Hopefully he's got the idea now. As was said, with different words, we're not all born with the knowledge of how to prime a gas engine. Providing clear, accurate instructions is important. As we're doing this, lets all remember to focus on providing information without making it look like we're bickering...
Old 11-13-2006, 05:39 PM
snakeboy

Hi , thanks for all the help,
I couldn't get it to start last night so i went to bed. But today i took it to the lake and keep the boat in room temp, {{Oh i forgot to mention i am in calgary canda , so is about 0 degree today!!!! )) and pump it about 6 times and start pulling and i can heard some thing is working , but i pull the thing until my arm falls off and finally the boat start..... it run for about 2 min and quite, the boat was going about 20 mph it was very slow, my shock wave 36 run way faster. And took a while again to start the second time.... and run about another 2 min and it quite slowly dead again. And then i couldn't start it up again because i have no more strength on my both arms... Ha Ha.....!! So my question is, is it because the china make 1 to 1 Zenoah enginee is not good so it is hard to start or it is just because the engine is new and need to be broke in first for easy starting.

If i get the zenoah 260 Pum will it be easier and faster??? thanks for all your help

http://www.radiocontrol-2005.com/JZ%2026cc.htm JP260M anyone know anything about this engine ???? That's what i got from radiocontrol-2005.com
Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 PM
martno1fan

did you alter the choke when the motor started?,that engine is not a bad engine at all i know a guy who runs one and he gets 50 mph from his.once you get the engine started turn the choke off and it should start to run properly.it really sounds to me like your running it with the choke open? thats why its cutting out.as said before open the choke after youve primed the engine then pull the starter ,once its running choke off!!.also does it have a kill switch? if so you may want to check this isnt kicking in somehow to kill the engine.on my weedy you have an electric ignition switch if its off no matter how many times you pull that starter it wont fire!!.once you figure it out im sure the engine will be fine.are there no clubs near you where you can take it and let someone show you how to start it?.yes zenoah 260 gpum are better engines but the one you have is a decent engine by all accounts ,ive seen one run and it looks very fast my friend says he had it measured at arround 50 mph.also did you alter any of the needle settings? if so you may want to ask someone who owns a gpum for the correct settings and start from there?.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Flabum

I was looking at your pictures you posted. Make sure the fuel pickup hose is on the bottom fitting on the carb and the return vent hose is on the top fitting. I say this because all the boats and cars i have seen with the green and black hoses, the black hose is usually on top. So check the hose arrangement, follow the hoses to the tank and make sure the hose on the bottom carb fitting is going to the fuel pickup tube on the tank.

Another thing to check would be the vent for the fuel tank.... there is a fuel pump built into the carb and it draws fuel from the tank, if there is no vent or the vent is clogged, a negative pressure will result in the fuel tank and fuel will not be drawn.

Lastly, since the weather up there is so cold, you may need to adjust the high speed needle to compensate for weather conditions.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:17 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: xxxboatworks

ORIGINAL: unclecrash

Well whats the story did you get it to fire. Dave
I doubt it will fire using your method...

Snakeboy,
Push the primer bulb a few times till you see fuel (this does not prime the "chamber" ). Now close the choke and pull the cord (at half throttle) a couple times and it should "pop". Once it pops, open the choke and pull again while keeping it at about 1/2- 3/4 throttle. If you "pull away" with the choke closed, you will flood the engine. Hope this helps.
I doubt it would fire I beg to differ it may not have started with the info I gave him. You are the one who started to help him and then left him to wonder wwhat to do next. I was just trying to be a nice guy and help the guy that you should have gave the run down on starting the motor in the first place. He might not have asked but you should have known he needed awhole lot more help knowing he could not even find the choke. As I stated I am not a gasser so you dont need to quote me on the writes and wrong terminology. And there you go even what you told him still had him pullin the rope out the darn thing. And you are one of the gas gurus Ha. I figured after he read my post he would respond yes it poped or no it didnt and could atleast steer him in the direction to getting it started. like I said I am no expert on gas boat motors but have no trouble starting mine. So if he did like you said and it was so right why did he still have so much trouble.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:30 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: snakeboy

Hi , thanks for all the help,
I couldn't get it to start last night so i went to bed. But today i took it to the lake and keep the boat in room temp, {{Oh i forgot to mention i am in calgary canda , so is about 0 degree today!!!! )) and pump it about 6 times and start pulling and i can heard some thing is working , but i pull the thing until my arm falls off and finally the boat start..... it run for about 2 min and quite, the boat was going about 20 mph it was very slow, my shock wave 36 run way faster. And took a while again to start the second time.... and run about another 2 min and it quite slowly dead again. And then i couldn't start it up again because i have no more strength on my both arms... Ha Ha.....!! So my question is, is it because the china make 1 to 1 Zenoah enginee is not good so it is hard to start or it is just because the engine is new and need to be broke in first for easy starting.

If i get the zenoah 260 Pum will it be easier and faster??? thanks for all your help

http://www.radiocontrol-2005.com/JZ%2026cc.htm JP260M anyone know anything about this engine ???? That's what i got from radiocontrol-2005.com
I think you just need some time with it to figure it out. All engines are different you just need to find out what it likes. Might want a bit more prime. The cold weather could have a lot to do with it. Might need the choke for a bit longer. Ya need to mess around and see what it likes. Its either starving and needing more fuel to start or its flooding and you choked it to long or gave it too much prime. You will smell the gas bad if its flooded. pull the plug and if its real wet then your flooding it. Do you have the gas mixed properly. When you tried to restart was the motor still warm. if so you might not need the choke or to prime it just need to get the feel for it.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Flabum

Here we go again
Old 11-13-2006, 07:43 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Hopefully he's got the idea now. As was said, with different words, we're not all born with the knowledge of how to prime a gas engine. Providing clear, accurate instructions is important. As we're doing this, lets all remember to focus on providing information without making it look like we're bickering...
I dont think piperchuck that I steered him wrong yes my terminology wwas not correct about priming puts fuel in the chamber. the chamber could be the carb to him at this point. Yes it wasnt correct but atleast I was giving him enough info to get it to fire. I never claimed to be a gaser guru I said it when I started the post. I myself if I built tons of boats like xxx would have gave the guy a run through of how to get it going after seeing he couldnt find the choke.I would for sure know he wouldnt know about the primer bulb.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:16 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: Flabum

Here we go again
No were not. (I doubt it will fire using your method) That was uncalled for like others told me. Prime it choke it pull it. come on( it may not start )use the correct terminology but the method I gave will atleast make it fire. But On the other hand the method xxx gave didnt do no good either LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.