Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Expresscraft Cougar Cat with Twins

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Expresscraft Cougar Cat with Twins

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:30 AM
nieto1124
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Expresscraft Cougar Cat with Twins

ROADTRIP! maybe we can get together sometime and run them all. that would be real cool.

Ron , your right about the fuel line. but thats all i had at the time and could not resist mocking up the supply and vents. I have some "targon" ordered and will replace as soon as its in.

V-8 , Thanks and no. there are no clutches. I do have some in the garage. but decided to used them on another project.

Cain , we all have the same power and basically the same set-up. I dont think there will be any "smokin" going on. It would be fun to see them all run at once.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 AM
V8Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick update. My Saturday didn't turn out the way I planned. I only ended up with about an hour or so to work on the boat. So all I got done was I installed the second stuffing tube. I picked up an extension harness for the steering servo to reach the radio box and a "Y" harness to pair up the throttle servos and installed those. I put the pipes back in for the picture because this now shows exactly what I have finished. Everything will have to come apart a few more times and then finally for paint. The tubes are in but still have to be glassed where they go through the hull. It is looking pretty good but there is still plenty of work to do.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22280.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	888083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78186.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	888084  
Old 02-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Hurricain

Looking good bro!! i did not get to work on mine like i had thought
Hurricain
Old 02-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Tahoe1970

V8rider , What kind of speeds do you think it will pull ? (If you had to guess) Any mods to the motors ? Those pipes running together are going to be hard on the ear drums ( Any Silencers ? ) Should be a sweet Peice when done.

Later : Highly Modified
Old 02-27-2008, 12:26 PM
V8Rider

Tahoe,
High speed numbers are what everyone wants but not too many are real honest in talking about it. I ran one of these Sikk engines in a 42" Cat last year and saw 69mph on GPS. This was with a mildly modified Sikk. The two Sikk engines in this boat will have the same modifications as that last boat. I have spoken to a few people that are more knowledgeable than myself when it comes to twins and I think I have a good shot at seeing mid to high 60's with the right props and trim. I'm sure it is going to take some time to find exactly what setup works the best but I will be real happy if I end up with a boat that runs consistant and trouble free and in the mid 60's. I am not going to race it. I just want it to be fun. Those pipes are really not that loud but I'm sure two of them screaming together will be fun! Thanks for asking.

Rick
Old 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Tahoe1970

HUH .......Is this the one you speak of ?

Name:	Wu62006.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	890884  
Old 02-29-2008, 09:16 AM
V8Rider

Tahoe,
That is AMAZING! You must be psychic! That boat looks EXACTLY like mine! I can't believe there is another one out there that looks so much like mine!! Talk about TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya got me again!!
Rick
Old 02-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Believe It
Banned

http://media.putfile.com/Tsunami-in-Hot-Pursuit

what prop did you run 69 with?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:51 PM
V8Rider

It runs well with a 6717 X 3 or a 7016 X 2. Pretty sure I was running the 7016 that day.

Rick
Old 02-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Tahoe1970

ORIGINAL: Believe It

http://media.putfile.com/Tsunami-in-Hot-Pursuit

what prop did you run 69 with?
Believe it.....................Your on top of that stuff If you seen that Video....then you must have seen all my stuff ?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Believe It
Banned

Wow big speed with those props. Most i ever got out of a 6717 and 7016 with my QD cat was 65-66.

Yes Wally...ive seen all your videos, multiple times
Old 02-29-2008, 03:23 PM
V8Rider

Progress report. Not too much to report. Made up a pair of duel water inlets for through the bottom mounting. Soldered tubing to flat brass and epoxied to the hull. Just need to grind flush and clean up a little on the bottom of the hull.

Rick

Name:	Hf10408.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	891661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx77096.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	891662  
Old 03-14-2008, 12:28 PM
V8Rider

I still don't know what happened but it looks like all the posts after this one are gone for good!? So to bring things up to speed here is what I have done since my last post. I finished the water inlets and plumbed the cooling lines to the heads and exhausts. I glassed in the stuffing tubes. I built trays to hold the fuel tanks and glassed them in place. I have both fuel tanks assembled and I'm ready to install all the fuel lines, fuel fill valves and filters. I glassed in a couple of strips of wood to screw my radio box down and that is all set now. Last night I finished fitting my hatch. Someone had wrote in about these hatches being too wide to fit properly and had gone through quite a bit of work cutting the edge off and reglassing it back on to make the fit better. That seemed like a good idea when I read it but it also seemed like way more work than I wanted to do. So I built up the inside edge of one side of the hatch with two layers of cloth and then I sanded that outside edge square until I had the fit that I wanted. With that done I opened up the air intake holes on the hatch. Now I just have to make holes for the air to exit. I still have to install some hold down tabs at the front of the hatch and some cowl locks at the rear. I have to install the radio and cooling exit lines, fittings, flotation, and a few other things that I can't think of right now! I will take some more pictures and try to post them tonight or tomorrow. I won't be hitting the water this weekend but MAYBE NEXT!!!!!!!

Rick
Old 03-14-2008, 01:53 PM
nieto1124

Rider , I feel your pain. I have been so busy that i have not had time to do anything on the boat for a couple of weeks. so this morning i put in all the tygon fuel lines , put some fuel onboard and started the twins up. [X(] OH BABY they sound sweet. I have a bunch of Zenoahs, but these stock Sikks sound really SICK ! (in a good way). They sound like they are modified? I put mufflers on her to keep it a little more mellow. need to install the throttle cables/set the idles/run a tank or two on dry land and do some radio tweaking. The weather is great down here so she might hit the water tommorrow? I will keep you posted.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
V8Rider

Nieto,
I hear ya about the "no time" thing! Believe me, I know too well! I really hope you had a chance to get to the water over the weekend. I can't wait to hear how you made out. It will be at least another week for me. If the weather is mild enough to run next weekend I hope to give it a try. I got quite a bit done yesterday so I really don't have much left to finish up. I finished all the cooling fittings, lines, fuel tanks and lines. I still have to install quick fill valves and filters on the fuel feed lines. Radio system is completely installed and working. I used 2 four cell battery holders for battery more capacity. I am still deciding what to do with the antenna wire. I might keep it inside the boat. I have to run out now. I will be back later and post some pictures of what I have finished.
Later

Rick
Old 03-18-2008, 03:15 PM
V8Rider

I am back finally to post the pictures that I took last Saturday.

Name:	Ca82535.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	906949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18644.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	906950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37967.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	906951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70638.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	906952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te48388.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	906953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rh66936.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	906954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd65880.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	906955  
Old 03-18-2008, 06:10 PM
nieto1124

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET ! lookin very nice. did not get to run this weekend. took one of my other twins to the lake and it gave me a couple of headaches. thats what i get for not running them enough. hope to run soon. will post pics and video.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Hurricain

Great job dude make sure you keep us posted on how she runs. I think I am going to do all the panting on mine before i run her. oh and I got a handle like yours. again great job
Old 03-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Tahoe1970

Oh My.....what a big one you have Looks nice Rick.........Should be a Sight to see Saturday for sure[8D]
Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 AM
V8Rider

Finished her up last night! All that is left is to grease the cables and attach some flotation to the underside of the hatch. Weather permitting, I am hoping for trials tomorrow. Last things that got done. Rubber grommets where the exhaust tips pass through the hull,
cut the back of hatch to let air out, installed tabs at front of hatch and cowl locks at rear, short radio antenna inside hull for dsm radio, fuel fill valves and inline filters, finished cooling lines to exit hull. I am excited to have reached this point. I hope that I won't be dissapointed in how it runs. I don't expect it to be a rocket ship. I just hope that it runs well and doesn't do anything stupid. By that I mean that I hope it doesn't have any bad habits like rolling over in the turns or other problems. We will see tomorrow! I will let everyone know how I made out.

Rick

Name:	Qn38334.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	909361   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44118.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	909362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32763.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	909363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60879.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	909364  
Old 03-23-2008, 10:34 AM
V8Rider

Ran it for the first time yesterday. Ran pretty good. I posted a link to a video under the thread titled
"Gas Twins" Check it out there or on Wally's Putfile site. Pretty good stuff. Thanks Wally.
Rick
Old 03-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Hurricain

Hey Rick she looked like she ran great dude and got 65 out her the first time out that is awesome man. Looked like the props worked great was the hatch off when you got it to 65? again Great Job
Perry
Old 03-24-2008, 07:17 AM
V8Rider

Perry,
Glad you read this. I wanted to talk to you about the props. My friend Bob told me about the props that you are looking for. I guess they are not available. I had to start somewhere so Bob set me up with a couple of his 6717's and they worked GREAT! Plenty of bottom end punch, no cavatation, and the mid range is incredable! One time it came out of a turn and when I throttled it, it kind of stood up a little like a whellie! This boat needs a long run to really top out on speed. I don't think I have seen the max top speed yet as I was having some radio issues. Not sure if it was a range thing or a low battery thing as every time I got kind of far away with the boat, it would go into failsafe and shut down. It was late in the day when we decided to put the GPS in the boat. First pass it went 63.5mph. We wanted to back it up so I tried again and I held it open longer and that time it went 65.1mph. Both times I had to go for a row so I have to get this radio problem sorted out first. I just think that you might want to start with these same props as they are working very well for me. Keep in mind that this whole rig doesn't even have a full tank of fuel run through it yet either. I'm sure there is a little more in there that can be squeezed out.
About the hatch. Yes I was running without the hatch because I had to. I had some water cooling issues and had to do a temporary line bypass that went over the top of the transom to the rudder. So I could not put the hatch on. I really don't think running the hatch will make a significant difference. I hope to be able to find this out the next time also.
Rick
Old 04-21-2008, 11:34 AM
V8Rider

Hey, what happened to you guys? I never heard back from anyone either finishing their boat or testing it? This thread dropped back 8 pages!! Let's hear about how others made out with their twin engine boats.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:32 PM
nieto1124

Sorry guys , [] real boats are keeping me too busy to get anything done. I have a build schedule to meet on a 43 meter yacht and its tight. working 6 days a week now, and Sundays are resuerved for the wife. I will play again as soon as i get a chance.

Name:	Us54350.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	934080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93169.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	934081  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.