Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 what race fuel, for a quickdraw >

what race fuel, for a quickdraw

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

what race fuel, for a quickdraw

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what race fuel, for a quickdraw

where or what is the cheapest way to buy or get race fuel, VP sells it, but I was quoted over 100.00 for less then 4 gallons. Can you mix your own, by buing the additive at your local parts store?

apperently my QD25 needs 107 octane! QD says on there website, to use only high octane.
Any suggestions
Thanks
DA
Old 05-07-2007, 09:29 PM

Default RE: what race fuel, for a quickdraw

Hi Darren, I wonder who it was, getting $100.00/4gal?[X(] Last year when the price of gas was $3.00+/gal, I bought a 5 gallon can of VP-U2 for about $73.00. I went here, http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html# and found the regonal distributer and emailed them. I was all ready to pay big $$ for special delevery! Turned out, there is a motorcycle race shop about 1 mile from my place that carries it! It comes in a 5gal steel can with a plastic pour lid. This is not good! I went down to the army surplus and picked up a 5gal steel gas can, like you see on the back of some Jeeps. Thats what I store it in. It must be kept out of direct sunlight and plastic is a no no! Then I have a 1gal steel can that I mix the gas/oil in that I take to the lake with me. Good luck, Brian
Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 PM

Hi Brian, seems like you and I are the only ones on this forum, with the high output QD! Well I am a new member, so Im sure there are many. Anyway thanks, I'll ask around for that fuel at the local bike stores. Is the fuel you have the 110 or the M8?
Thanks
DA
Old 05-07-2007, 10:07 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And do these motors really go any faster for running this top $$ fuel?

Have a buddy who ran the rear exhaust 25 for some time and could never get it clost to anticipated performance. (bit of a let down on a $1500 motor). Switched to a mod 260 and has never looked back.

Is the higher octane just to make up for wild timing or does it really translate into a faster boat (if memory serves me - the record for a QD25 is only 2 mph faster than that for a 260 zenoah)
Old 05-07-2007, 10:14 PM

DA, Yup, think we're the only ones.[8D] I told you I run the VP-U2, it's the oxygenated 110 octaine stuff. I run 10oz of Honda HP2/gal mix in mine. I see your in Canada. I went to the VP site and found this for you.

Calgary, Alberta
Phone: 403-275-1958
Fax: 403-275-3122
[email protected]

Save yourself some grief and get in touch with Steve, huh? Brian
Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 PM

Thanks Brian, I'll call them, I'll buy 5 gallons, easly last me the life of this motor, Im just about finished this project, here is a pic of the beast, If something seems out of the ordinary, message me, and Ill make changes!
DA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18344.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	680028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13474.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	680029  
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 PM

Im really still in the learning process, compared to my old homlite setup up I had years ago, I think there will be no comparison. Im working on starting a club up here, so we shall see how it goes. There is no shortage of water!
DA
Old 05-08-2007, 03:14 AM

Darren

Looking at the picks you posted. It looks like you have the feed water comming in on the top. This is a no no. The top fittings are the outlets. If you run 2 waters in, you will need to add a another outlet to the cover (be careful on this. The cover is thin on top) . I seen too that it looks like someone added another fitting above the exhaust port. We never put one there. I think I know exactly who owned this motor now, was a customer in Florida. You need to check also the head button to know exactly which one you have. See your post on starting it for more info.

Todd
Old 05-08-2007, 03:18 AM

Is the higher octane just to make up for wild timing or does it really translate into a faster boat (if memory serves me - the record for a QD25 is only 2 mph faster than that for a 260 zenoah)

Water...The record is 109 on 2 way average with our motor...Zenoah did 99.7 or 99.2 on the two way.

Also on the Rear exhaust motor. Alot of people thought they knew how to set up boats, but if not setup coreectly with prop etc. etc. etc. they ran slower with them, R.E. motors like and our Hi Rev motors liked smaller props you spun harder. Too many people were so used to the Zenoahs they kept trying to swing those props. Doesn't work. Had to run more like a glow boat to take advantage of it.

Todd
Old 05-08-2007, 05:17 PM

It comes in a 5gal steel can with a plastic pour lid. This is not good! I went down to the army surplus and picked up a 5gal steel gas can, like you see on the back of some Jeeps. Thats what I store it in. It must be kept out of direct sunlight and plastic is a no no! Then I have a 1gal steel can that I mix the gas/oil in that I take to the lake with me.

Brian,

Another thing to note. When you open the 5 Gal can it came in, pour it into seperate one gallon containers. Like acetone or paint thiner style cans. Mix each gallon when you are ready to use it. The problem with the gas in the one big can is airspace. As you use gas out of it, you will get more space in it. This causes the oxygen to seperate from the gas. We found this out one day on the dyno. We hadn't run a race gas engine for a bit. Than when we did it was like down on power. We took engine apart numerous times checking everything. Finally we opened a new 5 gal. container we had, power went right back up to normal. We did notice on opening the old can that we got a blast of air out of it but didn't think much on it. Now knowing what it was, we store in one gallon cans and never have problems. Something to keep in mind incase you notice your motor running richer than normal. We had someone else have this happen too. Used gas from his buddies 5 gal can. Called from pond saying motor is dog rich. We had just dynoed motor so we knew was ok when it left. Asked him if he got a blast of air from can when he opened it. response was YES. Told him get new and run again. Called next day and said that was it. Runs good again.

Todd
Old 05-08-2007, 07:34 PM

Hi Todd,
Yes you are correct, the motor came from a fellow in Florida. He indicated that it is brand new never ran. Maybe you can tell me what type of QD it is. Is it the high output, requiring VP UT fuel, and the big brass flywheel, because I have the flywheel, but not sure if it is required.
As far as the outlets, well there is only two on the top, plus one on the side at the top, which you couldn't see from the pics. There is also 2 down beside the exaust manifold. There is also a lower one on the side, and it has a hose between the carb, going to the carb.
Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
DA
Old 05-16-2007, 01:46 PM
TIA

Darren,

I get it from the local Jet Ski shop down the street from me.

Instant Gratification!

;-)
Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

jaw my scooter takes 119 octane gas or higher i tried it with regula gas and gues what happened ?? i couldn stand paying all that cash so i put on a diffrent head kit for 91 octane
whitch is cheaper

if you want high octane gas for youir boat

FORMULA 1
Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.
FORMULA 2
Xylene
R+M/2...117
Cost...$2.75/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*.

FORMULA 3
Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2...118
Cost...$3.50/gal
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 Octane
30%...99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toulene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

FORMULA 4
Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combines with water.

FORMULA 5
Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...Not Recommended
30%...Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOST
How to make your own octane booster (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.