Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Any quickdraw folk? >

Any quickdraw folk?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Any quickdraw folk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any quickdraw folk?

I will again try to get the boat out tomarrow, always need a pit crew with mine, it seems, but not everyone is available when I want to run! Anyway I have posted a pic of my hydro again, because I am looking for some feed back on CG. This hull requires the motor to sit as far forward as possible, so it seems. The moment you loose this hull off plane, the nose seems to dip in and stuff it self in the water, thus taking on lots of water! is this normal? Here is a close up pic.
DA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43294.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	718105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78654.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	718106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71368.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	718107  
Old 07-08-2007, 01:24 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Any quickdraw folk?

Hows the boat handle the rest of the time. Coming off the plane and adding more water to the front of the boat was never an issue for me as it was only when returning to shore that I would stop her.

What prop are you running?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:52 PM

Darren

Unless i cant see it too well? Where are the springs that hold the pipe together at the header?

Todd
Old 07-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Yes that is normal.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: quickdraw

Darren

Unless i cant see it too well? Where are the springs that hold the pipe together at the header?

Todd
I see a spring in the third picture
Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 PM

Hi guys well I had it out today, had some more water issues. One run she did a barrel role, and took on a small gulp of water, but recovered. After a few other good runs, I put the strut up as high as it could go, and I found the boat to want to cavitate as you come out of a sharp turn, and lay into the throttle. When she is on the pipe it really opens up, and I think I finally hit over 60 mph! takes a while to get up the revs, but once it settles down a bit, it will fly along very fast. One small wave, and shes toast.The one run, I wish a had video, she did a complete 360 and kept on going. The turn fin took her for a loop, combined with some chine.
It was a bit of a bad day, as I had fuel spills, in side the boat, because the fitting came off, not to mention race fuel mixed with water in the boat, all over me, when I tiped it upside down to drain! Kinda frustrating day. I hate the smell, It gets in your clothes, then in your garage, wine, wine, wine, give me a beer [&:]
DA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92597.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	718627  
Old 07-08-2007, 09:37 PM

What prop are you running?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 PM

i am running a 1667 octura, with a 6.6 cup, done by Andy brown, came with this boat combo when I bought it. I am thinking of trying maybe a 2170 octura. What do you think?
Da
Old 07-09-2007, 12:16 AM

I was running a Mod Zen in my Gen II PI. I did not have much success with either prop you mention (not sure if my AB 1667 was cupped much though) I will take a look at my prop wall and see.

I tended toward the ABC props - the H45 and H50. Also the G36 I believe (Cupped slightly). The H50 was hard to get on plane and lacked some top end. The 45 and 36 were great all round.

A few of my buddies are pleased withthe way their Aeromarine Thunderbolts are running with Propshop 6717/3's and 6719/3's. The Thunderbolt has the same running surface as the PI Gen II. I think the Insane hydros are getting good numbers with the same propshop props also.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:21 AM

I have used the 2170 on a rigger that I have with a Quickdraw and I doubt that you would like that prop very well on that boat. Although they are great for all out speed, they cavitate quite easilly under a load.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:03 AM

Hi I apprecieate your input, justadd on these PI hydros, what do you think of them? I really like the look of the bouat, but Im a little uncertain of its performance, and the way it handles, mind you maybe I don't have it set up correctly, but if you look at my pics, from this thread, It looks pretty good, I think I have the angles correct, and don't get my wrong it really moves, but I believe it could go faster!

Aside from the Performance International hull, what do you think is an even better 1/8 scale hydro hull, that has better a wider stance for handling. Im not so sure the PI is wide enough at the point of where the pontoons touch the water. I have seen the aeromarine, and MHZ, but what is your take on it?
I am getting bias opinions on the 2170 octura, but some say this is a great prop for high reving top end engines.
DA
Old 07-10-2007, 03:38 AM

I think you will find the PI to be pretty competitive in the racing circuits. The fact that the same hull is used with the Thunderbolt Hydro might give some indication as to how she goes.

I have been impressed by what I have seen of the Insane Hydro (though a touch flighty in stock setup). The Gen II Insane is reportedly better though I have not seen one in action first hand.

MHZ Hydros are not for serious sport running. I think you will find all their boats are for fun runnign only.

I like the look of the Stryker II hydro but as yet have not been too impressed by what mine has done on the water. I had a blast running and racing my PI. It may not have been the all out speed champ but it was very consistent, easy to drive, an Never once flipped.

I took a look at some of the props I have run and see I missed mentioning the 1470 and ABC 75x97. They were also pretty impressive with my zenoahs turning them.

As far as the 2170 being the prop of choice for the QD. You might speak with Chris Hoffman ( [email protected] ) who should be able to give you some experienced advice on what works with the QD25's.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 PM

You may have misinterpreted my brief description of the 2170. This prop is very fast on a QD25. It is a Texas Cut prop, which tend to cavitate if loaded too heavily, like coming out of corners, higher torque engines, hulls with more drag, etc, but that is part of what makes them fast as well. Your boat will most likely be fast to the point of out of control or at least on the ragged edge (if you can get it on the pipe). It will however probably tend to bog your engine and/or cavitate the prop in corners and trying to medium speeds. I am guessing that your hull is going to have a little more drag than a rigger, but I have no experience with your hull to base this on either.

If you want one, by all means, get one. If twenty bucks and little time to sharpen and balance (I wouldn't add cup to this prop on this hull at least to start though) isn’t a big deal to you anyway. You can always turn down the diameter and cup if you don't like it, or sell it.

The H50 works very well for me on my Eagle SG with a QD25. It is more enjoyable to run in most conditions, but no, not as fast.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:06 PM

your rooster tail looks pretty uneven and after saying that "one wave and its toast" would make me think your balance is too far forward and its hopping. that PI bottom is the same as a "Hoover RAZOR" hull, they run well when balanced at 1" to 1 1/2" behind the sponson at the leading edge of the turn fin
Old 07-10-2007, 07:13 PM

Hi thanks for the feed back, the cavitation, only really happens when I do a close loop turn, at low rpm, as I hit the throtle after the turn it will cavitate, for a second or two, then catch, and it will turn up to speed, but Im not quite shure if I can here a difference when it is on the pipe, usually you can here the sound of the revs, makes a bit of a different sound when she is on the pipe.
Is there a noticeable sound when you can tell? .How can you tell.
My throtle is opening up all the way, but It could open another mill or two, on the barrel carb.
DA
Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 AM

With a smaller prop like the 1667 there is probably enough power when it is off the pipe that there is no noticable transition. It is more noticable when you are close to the edge of not having enough power off of the pipe to spin the prop fast enough to get on the pipe. It will be very sluggish when you are off of the pipe if you are propped for top speed.