Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Hydro airfoil ????z

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Hydro airfoil ????z

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:57 PM
hemicar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hydro airfoil ????z

Well todays trial was very eventful to say the least, fought it all day. (i knew i would regret going with the 8oz/gal on the mix[sm=thumbs_down.gif]) and after retrieveing it twice i got it runnin REAL good (man she was flyin) ended up doin a scale size blowover and tumbled about 5-6 times in the air before finally landing upside down in the water [sm=cry_smile.gif]. went for a little swim and went home to drink a few beers. i will say the cc powermaster pipe seemed to be good for atleast 5-6 mph as this boat has NEVER had the nose this high in the air. time to make up that front air dam and make a 3/16 shim for the strut (have been using an 1/8 shim so far with good luck) hopefully more updates in the following days. heres some pics how it is now

Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear youz guyz are still hanging in here.... [8D] life does have it's pitfalls,and owning a Proboat really isn't that bad... lol .... considering the knowledge you gain from it's learning curve..... [:-] when i started this thread I could only achieve 1/2 throttle before she started doin "water wheelies"...... but with a little help from a whole bunch of Good people, I managed to "get the nose down" trim nearly 25oz. of lead off the canard,and run the loop at WOT .... mind you all this did not come easy, but the payoff made up for it..... Hemicar, if you can rake the rear of the rear wing down 5* neg this will help keep your front end down,and I've found with front spoilers,they really do make a difference,but it helps to make them adjustable..... I made mine out of thin alum. sheet .010 and attached them with double-sided servo tape, this allows them to be "bendable" when it comes down to trimming the hull for speed/water conditions/etc..... you'll soon be able to "dial in" your hull to run WOT, no matter what prop/strut spacer/etc...... you use,Good Luck and keep us posted....
Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
misshydro

Ok I'm posting these pic's of Joe's 1/8 proboat scale hydro..this is his project..This boat he's doing alot of drastic mods to it....motor will be moved 4 1/4 ahead so is the radio box,that might be in the driver compartment..This boat will be powered by a RCMK front carb rear exaust motor that will be moded to if he needs more speeds...Joe is trying to make this boat race legal by IMPBA rules..It will have funtional front spoiler and rear wings..found out he might have them running by a gyro system..thats legal too from what he found out..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59773.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1250172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58844.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	1250173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61343.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	1250174  
Old 08-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Hemicar, I would get that radio out of the back of the boat. By putting it in the cockpit area, you won't have as much modding to do elsewhere
Old 08-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Ok I'm posting these pic's of Joe's 1/8 proboat scale hydro..this is his project..This boat he's doing alot of drastic mods to it....motor will be moved 4 1/4 ahead so is the radio box,that might be in the driver compartment..This boat will be powered by a RCMK front carb rear exaust motor that will be moded to if he needs more speeds...Joe is trying to make this boat race legal by IMPBA rules..It will have funtional front spoiler and rear wings..found out he might have them running by a gyro system..thats legal too from what he found out

Why are you making things so complicated? The rear wing is simply there to fine tune the ride. Once the front of the boat starts lifting, the wing is masked and no longer effective Make it easy on your self and leave the wing alone. The canard is what is used to adjust the down force on the front of the boat so put it on a servo and forget the gyro. You will not only save some cash, you will simplify your whole radio arrangement
Old 08-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Bubber Jones

Hey everyone.

Some nice looking boats here...

I just got a used 1/8th Miss Elam, so I'm a newb to this scale boat. I see talk of auto bailers and wonder which ones/where to buy these for this boat? I'm still searching, but thought I'd ask here.

[Edit]Or what are you running in your boats?

Thanks

Dan
Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 PM
hemicar

Well had the boat out at our lake all weekend and ran awesome. never got the gps on it but sure looked good. the front spoiler seemed to help out a bunch. boat was very stable and would turn on a dime again. did find a weak link in the thickness of my turnfin mount though, its all bent up but happy with the results so far. some more tuning and tweaking and hopefully ill get that 50+ outta her. next issue is trying to keep water outta the carburetor []
Old 08-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Jamming

I purchased one of these boats and did all the mods and then some, I thought about junking the hull and using all the gear in a new thunderbolt i have purchased, but ya know i think i will just keep running her and see if i can get 60 mph out of it and go from there.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:57 PM
misshydro

The only way if you want to go over 50 and a maybe 60 is to do like joe is doing on his proboat..moving the motor ahead 4 1/4" and try to place the radio box in the drives compartment..By doing all this will help the CG and get the weight off the back end of the transom...He's been reworking the whole hull inside and out..Plus he's making lighter weight tailfins and wing,and have them funtional too.Oh plus it has a adjustable strut too this should really help in the prop pitch/hight adjustments..
Old 08-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Jamming

I have already got it to 57 on my garmin, but it was just about flying. M-5 kit installed. Pretty crappy hull though. i dropped a screwdriver on it and a piece came off.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:43 PM
misshydro

joe's got a rugged hull...it was a miss Ellam hull....those hulls have a junkie paint on them...they dont even sand them to paint..some areas joe took a razer blade to scrape the paint off with..if your pushing 57MHP???
Old 09-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Hydro Junkie

So, when do we get an update Misshydro?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:04 PM
d-lo

update! finally got the elam out, she ran great once i swapped out my turn fin i made, it was just too much, and one slight blip of left turn, and the boat would flip over. so, i flipped it over, and ripped off my canopy. ever so sloooooowly i watched it sink to the murky bottom. [:@] it seems a bit of flotation came out somewhere along the way, (tested it in my pond, and it floated at one point!) but, topless she is for the time being. anyhoo, she runs strong, stable, and flat, wide open throttle the whole time. might goof around with strut setting, (shimmed now, about .090, running a 67/17/3 prop on her), but i am happy with it's first outing as far as tune goes. this was also my first gas outing ever, a nitro guy up until now. still am, got a fast vegas in the stable, but man gas sure is just that, a gas! oh, of course i split the left front sponson wide open to add insult to injury, but radio box tape had me running all day in spite of the initial turn fin terror titanic canopy sponson splitting wipeout.

so, i epoxied her back together tonight, looks fine. i will run this hull into ground, then step up and out to a quality gas hydro one from here, just unload my running gear into it. forgot the gps, but i would imagine low forties? M5 mod is probably in the future. fast enough is never fast enough i guess.....

happy boating folks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDO23qGb63Y
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91713.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	1477272  
Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
rawpwr
My Feedback: (1)

Hello all, I just got a miss elam all stock but in awesome shape (it's like new). I have done some mods that i have seen on here and has helped a little so far.
mods so far
bh hanson wtc with stock pipe
813 carb
bigger fuel line
moved gas tank forward
adjusted the rear fin
shimmed the rear strut with washers

couple of questions for you guys
1. do you guys make your strut shim or buy it?
2. are you guys putting pool noodles in your boats?
3. what is the part number for the turn fin?
4. what is the part number for the Auto Bailer you guys are using
Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 PM
rawpwr

any help would be awesome guys
Old 09-16-2010, 02:51 PM
DFB

I have a Miss Budwieser, I too have done a few mods, but here is an issue that is troubling me a little...

I put a speed master rudder with dual pick-ups on, and seem to be having trouble turning.
I installed a MG BB Futaba high tq servo as well. With the steering rate all the way up, it's difficult to get her to turn sharp.
If i go into a corner, let off a little, then gas it again, it seems to turn better. I do currently have the stock turn fin, (right sponson) could that be it?

I'm running on limited pond space, but my Rio with an RCMK turns on a dime at higher speeds. Looking for any suggestions...

Thanks,
Old 04-16-2011, 06:46 AM
lomcevac540T

I dusted off the Elam this week and took her to the pond after sitting for almoet two years. Installed a 2.4 receiver, greased the flex shaft and pulled off a 52.5 mph run. This is a fun boat.