Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

To Servo or not to Servo

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

To Servo or not to Servo

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Detective

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Servo or not to Servo

Thought that might get your attention.
Is it just brand loyalty when you go buy say Hitec servos or Futaba or is there really some difference?
In a side by side comparison of as closely matched as possible servos, which one wins? Or, is there really no difference?
I will listen to any and all.
Thanks.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:45 AM
BMAD01

Default RE: To Servo or not to Servo

Your talking a Ford/Chevy thing here yano! I've been using Hitec's from the get go. I've only had to send 1 throttle servo in for service. That was because I'd had it submerged for about 45min before I could retreive the boat. They cleaned it up, tested it, then CALLED ME to tell me it was fixed![X(] They only charged me for shipping by the way! I'd say their customer service is pretty darn A-OK!
You'll probably hear the same about Futaba too! Brian
Old 11-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Believe It
Banned

I use mainly Hitec but have used Futuba as well. Like brian said... its like Ford vs Chevy. I have only had one Hitec servo fail (605BB) and it was pretty old.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:24 AM
WATER_BUGG

Have to agree with the other guys on this one...I use JR servos' on my helicopters, but I only use HITEC's on my car's, boat's, and giant scale plane's...however I do have a hitec servo programmer which allows me to program the servos so the wont fight each other in multi servo setups....like my dual rudder setup on my 65" gtx build, im running 2 5955TG servo's running @ 6v producing a whoppong 333oz of torque.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It really is about what you have confidence in. I have shyed away from a few brands and servo of choice is Hitec. there have also been compatibility issues between some servos and different brands of receiver. Not to mention the need for digital for a select few HRS receivers.

I have not had one die yet and tend to over power my radio box. I lean toward the 805BB for stearing - especially with stern drives (One per stern drive is more than ample). With 343oz/in and .14 seconds for 60 degree transition it packs punch. It is also 1/3rd the price of the slower (but lighter) titanium servo

(Waterbugg - unless you have a pair of sterndrives on the transom you have about 300oz/in more than you need for a pair of blades)
Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 PM
WATER_BUGG

Yeah its quite the over kill, but hey I got 8 of those servos new in the box collecting dust. They were bought for a new giant scale plane that I scrapped. Also they arent that expensive, my price is 79.99, and the info currently on hitec site is inaccurate, they run .12sec @ 60deg. 333oz. in.oz. @ 6v....:P

Old 11-10-2007, 03:54 PM
RacerScott

Ive used Futaba servos for years. I have recently used the 9350 digital for 1/8 buggy racing and never had a problem with them
Old 11-10-2007, 03:59 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

As stated above ... Chevy/Ford thing .
The ONLY thing I can add to this is the following :
Stay TOTALLY clear of those Japanese off brand that are advertised on EBAY all the time . Lots of folks think they will save a buck or two by getting them ... well , let me be the first to say ... they SUCK ! ! !
They do NOT come near the torque rating that is claimed for them , AND they die REALLY fast on ya ! ( gears are not the problem , rather the cheapo motors they use with those crappo magnets that are in them )
Old 11-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Detective

I want to thank all that replied. It appears there is a winner, although there has been no real explanation why. Mostly seems like many said, it's that "Ford/Chevy" thing. Any how, thanks again. I believe I'll go with Hitec digital servos and my Futaba 3PM with FAAST remote and receiver.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:56 AM
rickburnout666

not sure what turbobob is on about i have used the JAP servos and have had no problems with them whatsoever! but everybody is allowed an opinion, i now have 7 JAP metal geared servos all work strong and hard in my cars ands boats!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:00 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup me too im running the jap servos in both my gas boats and so far so good,even have one in a truck too.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: Detective

I want to thank all that replied. It appears there is a winner, although there has been no real explanation why. Mostly seems like many said, it's that "Ford/Chevy" thing. Any how, thanks again. I believe I'll go with Hitec digital servos and my Futaba 3PM with FAAST remote and receiver.
Good luck. I refuse to use ANY digital servo... not only do they drain your batterys faster (always centering themselves), ive heard horror stories of peoples radio boxes catching fire from the servo cooking itself.

Ill stick with analog servo's myself
Old 11-11-2007, 12:09 PM
WATER_BUGG

Believe It, that is not entirely true...servos will fight themsleves in multi servo configurations like when you using mutliple servos on the rudder of a giant scale plane...thats why each brand makes some type of programmer to proper align the servos so they dont fight and cause a burn...that is a setup issue if the digital servos are constantly trying to find center! Also i get 30 runs on my planes helis, and cars between charges....its pretty simple most guys dont no what to do...just like my planes and helis and even now my cars and boats i use fromeco voltage regulators and lithium ion batts and run a constant clean 6v, and again i get 30 runs no problem! Also in the back of my mind im not going to risk a $3000 dollar toy running on standard servos and fm radios......PCM and DIGITAL servos is the only way to fly, on the ground, air, or sea!

This is just my opinion with over 30 years experience in radio controlled hobbies, and also having either flown or raced for more then 10 companies...From my X-cell Stratus Helicopters, 40% TBM SD Yak airplanes, countless HPI, LOSI, TEAM ASSOCIATED, OFNA, MUGEN CARS AND TRUCKS, and now my 65" Expresscraft GTX boat.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:25 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have nearly a 25/75 split between Hitec and futaba servos in my cars, planes, and boats. I use Futaba's for throttle and Hitec digital for steering in most cases. I've had a couple Hitec's fail on me but I still go back and buy them as it's a pretty good deal and a decent range of servos.

As mentioned, in the end it's just a matter of personal preference like Chev vs Ford. Where Ford and Futaba are just slightly ahead of the game.

Ryan
Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 PM
WATER_BUGG

lmao! ford ahead now thats some funny stuff there!