Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Bone-headed accident today

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Bone-headed accident today

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bone-headed accident today

Ok guys, I’ve got to vent.
Today I witnessed one of the most bone-headed moves. First a little background.

I’ve been running boats off & on for a few years with a good group of guys here in Germany. They’re mainly into FE while a couple of us run gas. Its located on a finger off the main river about 500 yards in & right under the Autobahn. The highway gives a little noise so the gas boats aren’t that bad noticeable even though we work very hard to keep the Db’s down. The FE guys run everything imaginable all the way up to a couple of 70+mph CT03’s.

This is a nice public place as well and its got a few paved bike/jogging trails running around it. Naturally there are many ducks & swans in the areas as well. If you’ve ever ran in the vicinity of ducks, you’ll attest that they’re not afraid of anything & will stand their ground.

This morning my buddy “Mark” & I met there early. My boat only took a minute to ready so he insisted I get in the water & start jamming. I told him no & that I’d wait for the ducks to clear out as someone was just standing there feeding them. He shrugged it off and insisted again. I then told him that the last thing we needed was to piss someone off with the sound of the engine & then to even have the boat in the water at the same time as the feathered dummies.

So I waited 10 minutes till they cleared out, fired up the Sprint Cat and burned through a 500ml IV bag of gas. Good run, no issues but those ducks were hard headed. Another buddy had shown up as I was launching stood by me as a spotter. He quickly pointed out the ducks were back in the area & to steer clear. No problem; instead of taking the chance, I shut it down to the rants of a few others.

“Mark” had readied his 72 cell CT03 and was dropping it in the water with another friend. He pointed to his SLR for me to take pics which I did. So he starts into his run and the ducks & swans came in big time. I’m popping away with the camera and couldn’t help noticing he had ran up in the group of birds. About the third lap into it….. WHUUUMP~! He’d ran up the back of one of the large swans. This large boat is literally sitting on top of this swan.

OMG~! You’ve got to be kidding me I screamed. What the hell are you doing? Keep in mind that the CT03 is a large 55 inch boat & weighs in pretty good with 72 cells. Speed at the time of impact was around 50+mph guesstimated considering it runs high 70’s. It was a horrible sight. Such a good looking bird in the condition it had been forced into. Wings spread, neck drooped in the water & this boat on top with just the props left in the water.

Needless to say, the wrong people happen to see it. Folks came out of the woodwork insisting he call the Polizei (Police). Finally the bird sank enough for his boat to float free allowing him to drive it back to shore amongst the gathering bystanders. It really amazed me how seriously they took it. Five cars... two fire engines, & three station wagons showed up. The fire department launched a 50hp boat and they came in to gather up the wounded (or possibly dead by then) swan. The police interviewed him, took pictures of his boat & a facial of “Mark” as well.

My father-in law is retired chief of police from Frankfurt & after talking with him today, he said this little incident will cost some serious money. He’s guessing around 1500 Euro or over 2,000$’s plus civil retribution.

I was pissed and even six hours later, I’m still bothered by his lack of judgment. Even the so called spotter that was with him could’ve done a better job. Now, I’m worried that we may have just lost the best place to run for almost an hour. The boats are not just a love, they’re a lifestyle that’s a part of me. After today it solidifies my decision to move on and find another hobby. Bone-headed people like this can ruin it for not one person, but the whole group and I’m afraid that’s what will become of our little area.

I’ve vented now & feel a little better.
Jamie
Old 11-18-2007, 03:31 PM
crazy maxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bone-headed accident today

[X(][X(][X(][X(]jezz!!!!poor duck
Old 11-18-2007, 04:10 PM
WATER_BUGG

I understnad your feelings, but let me tell you first, do not give up this hobby! The IDIOTIC actions of one should never turn you from what you call a passion and lifestyle. Trust there might have been great water there, but you can always find another water spot to run in, this is not your problem but his!

Todd
Old 11-18-2007, 04:16 PM
c-cat

is a shame,2k is cheap though, lk.st. clair 10k for the white dragons(their mean)and 500.00 for seagulls,blue herring is probably jail time.that kind of drama can give the sport a bad image.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Certainly a bad move for all involved. The wrong kind of attention can end this hobby for us.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:37 PM
glennb2006

We get the same thing where I run my boats. Interestingly though, there are three lakes at the park:

1; Little lake, about 30' x 15'. For what I do not know.
2; Nature reserve lake - for birds and other wildlife that wants to be there.
3; Boating lake. For boats.

Guess which one has the launch platform and steps into the water etc.? And also guess which one the visitors decide to use to feed the birds on? Correct. When you ask them not to feed the birds there you get strange looks and often derisory comments. One thing is the birds seem to know th score and once a few boats are running they retire to the other lake.

Seen a few close ones over time, but most people manage to drive round them.

Glenn
Old 11-18-2007, 08:09 PM
crazy maxx

this reminds me about my dads tunnel boat accident...
the damage to the boat may show what the bird looked like(look at the capsul)
Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 PM
edmkills

[X(] Holy crap! Don't forget Jamie building and collecting is half the fun! Take care brother
Old 11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Jamie, this incident wasn't your fault, so don't just "throw in the towel". It just shows that not everyone out there should be driving an R/C boat and the fact that you shut down your boat rather than take a chance says alot about you as well. If you need to find a different running site, do so. Quitting because someone else was stupid doesn't sound like the Jamie I've come to know and respect through the wires, so don't give up just yet
Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Hi Gang. Still pissed about this. One knuckle head can spoil it all for so many.
Its just that finding places to run around here are few & far between. This one is twenty minutes from me & the next is almost an hour. I've witnessed 'ding-a-lings' running while the fullscale boats are launching right behind them on the ramp. Its just a matter of common sense. Such a liability.

I'm not tossing in the towel just yet, but the idea is cooking. Still got a Whiplash to build. Wonderful friends have been made and the last thing I want to lose is that common ground. However, I was speaking with my wife trying to get some ideas. Don't want to fly planes any more, no interest in cars & buggies. I like boats.

Jamie
Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 AM
rivermaya

hi,

Cant resist to indulge in this interesting story .I am just so amazed at the reaction of the police involved.This would always be a problem where there are good water the birds,swan and ducks will flock together,something like that.I am so worried now if sam thing
will happen in our area,hope not.We too have serious concern about boats and birds fighting for the same water in our local lake and
can be too careful not to injure each other.Once a helicopter was dispatched and seemingly taking photos and videos of us(boaters)
when a group of inexperienced lads run into a swan and was quickly reported to the police by overprotective and vigilant bystanders.
I am afraid this will us haunt and prevent us enjoying our hobby since we will be always on guard and worrried running into the local wildlife.The possible consequences of a similar incident as mentioned is too much and needs serious consideration if we want to continue with this pastime of ours.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:11 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It amazes me to be honest how someone could run up the back of a swan? they are big enough to see for gods sake.Where i run there are lots of birds on the water and you just use common sense and keep clear of them and if there are some in your way then you just have to use common sense and slow down.Usually i get my kids to feed the ducks etc in one corner of the lake that keeps them busy while i have my fun with the boat.Dont give up Jamie mate especially not because of this one idiot,maybe write a letter to the local paper saying not all boaters are so stupid and try to keep well away from the birds when possible.Good luck mate keep your chin up fella.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I was racing at a district event about 10 years ago. the host club would not hold a heat if they saw a little twig floating in the water but during one heat a flock of ducks was swimming across the pond towards the racecourse. They were pretty obvious but conitnued to run anyway. One racer with a gas 'rigger went way wide during mill time going right through the flock. I happened to be on the retrieve boat dock at the time video taping the entire thing. I yelled at the CD about the ducks but he didn't seem to care. One duck was badly injured then the club decided to take it away to a farm to cover up the incident. Unfortuntely they did all this in front of the wrong person, my racing buddies wife whose father was a retired DNR officer. She called the city police, state police and the DNR. The club got slapped with a $1,000.00 fine. A copy of my tape went to the IMPBA office.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 AM
slivic003

One person can surely ruin things for everone . Some boaters just don't use any common sense when boating . If there is any wildlife in the area your running your boat you have to be careful . Would you run your boat in a swiming area with people around .I would hope not ! Its the same thing as animals . Ducks area very dumb and hardheaded sometimes . They don't always move out of the way . So people have to be careful . I don't have many birds around in the rivers and ponds I run at but I have seen some aligators . I am more afraid of one of them eating my boat than me running into them though !! Anyways I just hope people start using better judgement when boating , it would be horrible if ponds started getting shut down to boaters because of the ill operation of some people .
Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 AM
martno1fan

It shows how carefree or careless some people can be especially where wildlife is concerned,dont get me wrong im no tree hugger or animals rights do gooder but some common sense has to be used especially in todays society.Accidents can happen and do but we all have to consider the consiquencies if and when they do so we have to be extra carefull as theres allways someone watching when things go wrong.Id hate my kids to see my boat chew up one of they're feathered friends not to mention the little old lady with her bag full of stale bread [:@].
Old 11-19-2007, 11:01 AM
martno1fan

maybe the alligators ate all the ducks .
Old 11-19-2007, 11:26 AM
slivic003

I am sure they have snacked on a few of them !! HA !! I live in the country so most of the ducks are in other areas like swamps and such . Once in awhile there will be a duck or two , but they leave as soon as I crank up the boats ! Duck season is in so I am going duck hunting on wed. But with a gun !! I do want to get some r/c duck decoys though and try them out .I just got a thought . Maybe putting out some decoys on the other end of the ponds that have ducks would lure them to that end and keep them away from the boats ? That may work , I wonder if anyone has ever tried it ?! Well just a thought !
Old 11-19-2007, 11:42 AM
mopartybob

my pond (spreckles lake) is pretty well watched over by "big brother",the ducks and waterfowl are pretty well "schooled" also,5 minutes before run time (9am-1pm)they all scoot over to the sailboat side of the lake.....PLUS we have a NO FEEDING LAW also, so when there is the usual feather lover questioning us boaters about "their" safety,lol,we tell'em it promotes and stimulates reproduction...the final laugh we have is when we sic Ricky Ranger (Fed. Park police) on'em for feeding violations...., but we all stick together and correct the obnoxious bad apple who decides to go above the rules and chase our little friends,with a few verbal threats and sometimes a swimming lesson.....
Old 11-19-2007, 11:46 AM
mopartybob

ORIGINAL: slivic003

I am sure they have snacked on a few of them !! HA !! I live in the country so most of the ducks are in other areas like swamps and such . Once in awhile there will be a duck or two , but they leave as soon as I crank up the boats ! Duck season is in so I am going duck hunting on wed. But with a gun !! I do want to get some r/c duck decoys though and try them out .I just got a thought . Maybe putting out some decoys on the other end of the ponds that have ducks would lure them to that end and keep them away from the boats ? That may work , I wonder if anyone has ever tried it ?! Well just a thought !
which brings to mind the legend of "Superduck"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcF565btVxE
Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM
slivic003

Ok I am waiting on the "superduck" vid !! Can't wait to see this one !!!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Ron Olson

This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcF565btVxE
Old 11-19-2007, 11:58 AM
mopartybob

check the edit above,...[8D] thanks Ron.....
Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Ron Olson

Or how about this little toy? http://www.vac-u-boat.com/VacUGator.htm
Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 PM
slivic003

Wow that is one fast duck !!! OK who's the one feeding the ducks caffine pills?!!! A mallard duck that can plan off swimming !!! Super duck is one bad duck !!! Haha !!! I would like to take that duck and hide in the bushes and run it up beside one of my friends boats while they were running . It would really freek them out !!!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:01 PM
bahamabart

1) not your fault
2) your buddy is a moron! and I hope the fine is stiff enough that he will learn from his stupidity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.