Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Rio 51 exhaust problems

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Rio 51 exhaust problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:41 AM
tunda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rio 51 exhaust problems

I gotta say i love this boat i had a bast running this thing today but the header pipe cracked and broke apart looks like they soldered it together or something heres some pic hopefully the boys from Aquacraft can let us know whats up with this. My friends Rio did the same thing to.......I only ran 3 tanks and this is what happend..........need some help.........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24697.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	832762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84459.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	832763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57696.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	832764  
Old 12-24-2007, 01:50 AM
mr.mauian

Default RE: Rio 51 exhaust problems

Here's mine, I did not remove it yet from the engine, you can see the crack on top where it is welded. The whole thing wiggles and I know as soon as I unbolt it it will come apart just like my friends. We both got our boats the same time and have the same amount of tanks run thru it. Is there a solution to getting this replaced ? These boats are brand new. I am Tunda's friend and we run together at our local pond.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45438.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	832766  
Old 12-24-2007, 03:09 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

send it back and get a refund,those headers look crap i said this when i first saw them and got shot down for it so i sat back and let it lie ,looks like i was right.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:29 AM
bentley marshall

yeah i would want a replacement too or get them to sent ya 20 of them if they are going to keep braking

mart thats the first time you have been right in a long time (just kidding mate)
Old 12-24-2007, 03:55 AM
tunda

Lets see what the boys from Aquacraft say and do about it.........
Old 12-24-2007, 04:03 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: tunda

Well they stand behind there products 100% so they say so i doubt they will do anything apart from send you a new dodgy header?.If you start with cheap parts this is what happens and isnt this what happened to the other gas boat they sold the v24? same problems with headers?.Do you really want another header like that one? two boats and two faulty headers sounds like a problem to me?.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:31 AM
wayneuk01

I thought they abused these things in testing ? Did they not have a problem OR HAVE THEY KEPT IT QUIET
Old 12-24-2007, 12:56 PM
pyro1

[:'(]Maybe they should give the boats to folks like us to test. I have WHH's boats and can't imagine having problems like these. For $749 you can get the Super G with a clutch and a air cooled 23cc Zen and still smoke that boat and have no problems that might discourage you from this great hobby. If you have had header problems in the past (V24) don't let it happen on a new product. Make sure your testing relates to normal customer use. 3 tanks and a cracked header is unacceptable. Don't make your customer the final QA person. Yes they stand by their product,
because they have too. Bringing a boat like this to the market with such start up problems leads me far far away from any Aquacraft gas product. [:'(][sm=thumbs_down.gif]

keep the hobby alive!

Pyro1
Old 12-24-2007, 01:14 PM
ken0276
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Not sure their 90 days warranty cover this heater pipe or not.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Indeed

Looks like the header has no isolation - many header/flanges have "O" rings at the flange to absorb vibration and allow for movement. Looks like it might be needed on the Rio.

Unfortunately not all problems are found in testing and development. It is true of boats, cars and even aircraft (models and full scale). Not sure we need to gather the lynching mob for this one
Old 12-24-2007, 02:18 PM
hummitlargescale

Your making my stomach hurt I have one from tower due here on the 27th.I would warranty that one then take the new one to a local welder and have him or her weld in a couple of braces depending on what its made of.wont look as preety but it should hold
Old 12-24-2007, 02:29 PM
hummitlargescale

on the tower hobby site in the photo gallery for rio 51 it looks like a thicker weld on the photo that your pic.but hard to tell from pics
Old 12-24-2007, 03:40 PM
mauian

I have to say the boat is awesome it runs extremely well with no adjustments right out of the box. So far that is the only problem we have had so far. I really wanted to run this on xmas day but looks like the boat will sit for awhile untill the guys from Aquacraft can help us out. The boat could also use larger cooling hoses. So now we wait and see
Old 12-24-2007, 03:42 PM
mauian

ORIGINAL: hummitlargescale

Your making my stomach hurt I have one from tower due here on the 27th.I would warranty that one then take the new one to a local welder and have him or her weld in a couple of braces depending on what its made of.wont look as preety but it should hold
It looks like a brace right at the cooling flange would help it out.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:27 PM
hdking46

if you like boat and like how it runs, why not replace exhaust with a good aftermarket pipe seems than you have beat the problem and now have a better pipe that may make your boat even run better... just what i would do, they have to cut corners somewhere to keep price down
Old 12-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: hdking46

if you like boat and like how it runs, why not replace exhaust with a good aftermarket pipe seems than you have beat the problem and now have a better pipe that may make your boat even run better... just what i would do, they have to cut corners somewhere to keep price down
You shouldn't have to do that with a boat thats advertised as RTR. You took the words right out of my mouth... cut corners to keep the price down.
Not going to flame this thread or state the obvious either.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:28 PM
martno1fan

I dont understand why they couldnt have used a pipe with o rings in the header flange so vibration wont be a problem ? .If you have a header that wont move then something is bound to give,why bother putting rubber isolators on the motor and nothing for the header.Did they not have this very problem on the last boat ?.I agree its an easy fix but surely they should have seen this problem coming if they did as they said and tested the boat propperly ?.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:27 PM
hdking46

agree on all of it but you normally would need to spend a $1000 to build a good RTR. i know some less some more so with the price you are paying it is not going to be great quality, i hope most people who want a gas boat would do a little research and just realize that for these prices they advertize they are getting a boat that is not top quailty, so you are going to have to change some things from the begining. just the price you pay when you let price make your purchase. just my opion so dont want to start any flaming,so for me i wouldnt want a relacement part that was just going to break again.. i would relpace with aftermarket and next time i buy from that manufacture i would have to question there quality and probley pass on them ... merry XMAS to all fellow boats
Old 12-25-2007, 12:44 PM
akhoundog

in the pic on the aquacraft site, the header's weld looks more like an aluminum weld than a stainless steel one.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:12 PM
juicr

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the joy of a cheap price has faded!
Old 12-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: juicr

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the joy of a cheap price has faded!

Now there's a quote worth remembering......[sm=idea.gif]
Old 12-25-2007, 04:03 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

Indeed

Looks like the header has no isolation - many header/flanges have "O" rings at the flange to absorb vibration and allow for movement. Looks like it might be needed on the Rio.

Unfortunately not all problems are found in testing and development. It is true of boats, cars and even aircraft (models and full scale). Not sure we need to gather the lynching mob for this one
an excert from the OG thread pg.2,When we set out to design a new gas boat we set up a very stringent set of requirements. One, it had to have a STANLESS STEEL HEADER.. and it does… It had to be tough with good glass work and seam strength.. it has that.. It had to LOOK LIKE A SUPER BOAT.. does it ever.. It had to be fast, cool well, be VERY QUIET (see me yelling over the sound the V-24 one) kidding.. and it is whisper quiet for a large gasser. There is a lot more but you get the idea.. It also needed to be compatible with the Zen engine.. at least the best we could.. the motor mount is a lot like a Zen as well as the exhaust bolt pattern.

HHmmmm...While all the replies are valid,why has no-one mentioned slapping on a Zen compatible header???... Bottom line here for the guyz at AQ izzzzz,either refund or rebate the cost of a Zen compatible header until problem is solved...Heck,they might even want to do the research(legwork) for what would work,IF they REALLY wanna keep EVERYONE HAPPY...[:-] MerryXmas
Old 12-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Grimracer

Well.

Merry Christmas to all... just got back into town from a weekend vist.

First and foremost.. im bummed.. This is the first instance of any header failure we have seen, this and in testing. The header you seen in the AQ photo is the same stuff (SS) but not plated. We did change the flange (yes we tested it a ton) to make the parts easer to weld with out leaving weld in the way of the header to cooling manifold fit. I might have to re-visit that.

We elected not to put a brace between the header and block as they also have a tendency to break, we have seen that before.

The headers for the Rio 51 are plated stainless steel. They have been SS throughout all of our testing and the plating later in the testing stages.

Martnofan. Do yo have anything to add that can help our fellow boaters or is constructive to the post? If so please speak up.. if not……………….

Mike Z
Old 12-25-2007, 09:59 PM
lildude2599

Have you guys tryed putting a rubber sleeve between the header and pipe to stop the porblem? Just an idea i don't know about the pipe but tryed it on a rc trucked and it worked. And the trucks go through more beatings than a boat.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:27 PM
mr.mauian

Hi Grim,
At first me and Tunda thought it was just his boat, so I went to see if mine on the other table was showing any signs and after looking and noticing the crack then touching the header and see it wiggle was kinda like ....we'll sad. We were having so much fun then this. Don't get me wrong we love this boat it is fun and easy to run and tune. We both need the same part fixed no doubt. hopefully something will material out of this and we can run this weekend. I don't want to say there is another problem but i found one today after cleaning it up today. I found pieces of the o rings from the flange on the pipe stuck inside the cooling tube that exits the hull. I did not notice anything on Sunday but it probably would have been noticed if I was able to run her that day. Apparently the movement or vibration is causing the o rings to come apart and get clogged in the cooling hoses, it is not very serious but if you have someone with less experience it might get overlooked and cause a major motor malfunction. Grim, I love the boat and in no way am I trying to flame this new Aquacraft Boat, it is awesome for a rtr, no doubt. If Aquacraft can help us with the header problem we will be stoked, As for now my Rio and Tunda's sit looking pretty and begging to see water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.