Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

BONZI in my RIO !!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

BONZI in my RIO !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:53 AM
mauian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BONZI in my RIO !!

She is ready to fly tomorrow and I be back doing the happy dance......lol . Bonzi mild mod motor and everything else stock except for a Prop Shop 6718 3 blade prop. Here some pics with it ready to go, only a bracket to install for the pipe and thats is been done right now..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87475.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	847929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96428.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	847930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82229.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	847931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22141.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	847932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22767.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	847933  
Old 01-11-2008, 03:22 AM
bentley marshall

Default RE: BONZI in my RIO !!

looks good it should go faster too .......one prob i see it the carbs upside down should run fine might just be hard to tune that way up
Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 AM
mauian

ORIGINAL: bentley marshall

looks good it should go faster too .......one prob i see it the carbs upside down should run fine might just be hard to tune that way up
I did it on purpose so it would be easier to rig the throtle cable. I already ran a 1/4 tank with a iv bag on idle and seems to work fine. I did notice the better sound the motor makes....made me wanna take off to our lake here in Hawaii, yup we have a lake but they probably be pissed if I did,lol.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:23 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi does that pipe have o rings in it to allow some movement at the join between pipe and header or is it the same setup as before?.If its the same id change it or you will suffer the same problems with the header as before,also those zens rev way harder than the fuji motor .Good luck with it hope it works out for you this time.The boat will fly now so its gonna be taken to the limits now lets hope everything else holds up .
Old 01-11-2008, 04:32 AM
martno1fan

i almost forgot go back to your last thread and read Matts post this is my exact thoughts also and if you want to know the $5 solution my bet is its to use a high temp teflon pipe joiner like this one .its held on with jubilee clips.like in this pic,the blue on ein this pic is silicon but id advise the white teflon ones they stand heat better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16081.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	847955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72929.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	847956  
Old 01-11-2008, 10:11 AM
webdr

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Hi does that pipe have o rings in it to allow some movement at the join between pipe and header or is it the same setup as before?.If its the same id change it or you will suffer the same problems with the header as before,also those zens rev way harder than the fuji motor .Good luck with it hope it works out for you this time.The boat will fly now so its gonna be taken to the limits now lets hope everything else holds up .
Looks like its the same one from the Rio to me. Id ditch the whole exhaust and put a 1" band pipe and 2" drop 90 degree header. I have one and test fit it in the Rio and its a good fit except for having to open the exit hole on the transome just a bit. That should add some performance vs the current setup...any wrap forward kills power to some extent
Old 01-11-2008, 10:31 AM
martno1fan

You could be right about the wrap forward headers but i have the hanson wrap forward header and cone to cone pipe, they say on the hanson site it doesnt hinder performance or that it does rev out as its made for that pipe but ive not tried any other header to compare to be honest.That said on a play boat i think having the pipe hiden in the hull is a good clean look and on some hulls its the only way to do it.I think when he tries that zen hes gonna be surprised just how much more power its got than the fuji .I really hope he changes the setup though or hes going to be dissapointed again most likely if his header gives up on him again or worse.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM
BB Modss

Make sure that carb has a corrected pulse circuit! any time you turn the carb 180* you have to make sure your pulse hole to the carb is still working.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:16 AM
MKMotorsport

Did the Zen drop right into the factory motor mount holes in the stringers or did you have to modify/re-drill?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:45 PM
webdr

From the looks of the pictures, I dont think he redrilled, looks like a direct bolt in. I could be wrong though...
Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: BB Modss

Make sure that carb has a corrected pulse circuit! any time you turn the carb 180* you have to make sure your pulse hole to the carb is still working.
i was wondering about that. The pulse hole is in the bottom of the intake port, coming through the bottom of the iso block... which goes to the pulse hole in the bottom of the face of the carb. WIth the carb flipped around 180* the pulse hole for the carb is now at the top.... so i dont see how its getting a pulse.

Seems to me with the carb flipped around like that on a zenoah, the only way to get a pulse to the carb is with an external pulse....
Old 01-11-2008, 02:28 PM
mauian

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Yes it has o rings and there is movement allowed, but the setup now in the pics is my mockup. Header and pipe will be aluminum.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:31 PM
mauian

ORIGINAL: MKMotorsport

Did the Zen drop right into the factory motor mount holes in the stringers or did you have to modify/re-drill?
I only had to redrill for the mount near the rear or by the collet side of the motor, CG did not chang much, only a very little but once I stuck pool noodle in the nose it was pretty much perfect.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:34 PM
mauian

ORIGINAL: Believe It

i was wondering about that. The pulse hole is in the bottom of the intake port, coming through the bottom of the iso block... which goes to the pulse hole in the bottom of the face of the carb. WIth the carb flipped around 180* the pulse hole for the carb is now at the top.... so i dont see how its getting a pulse.

Seems to me with the carb flipped around like that on a zenoah, the only way to get a pulse to the carb is with an external pulse....
The motor has been started and run in the garage not the water yet and seems to run fine, it idles real nice and with light revs no problems at all. I have yet to see what will happen at wot when in the water.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:38 PM
mauian

A note to remember the stock Fujii motor has a walboro carb on it and is set up the same way. I not sure the model # for the carb on the Fujii but it is running and so much easier to start then the Fujii.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:41 PM
mauian

Thank you guys for all the INFO and IDEAS, makes running a gasser so much easier. I will keep ya all informed as to the progress of this sorta rebuild. A CC engine is gonna be the final install this weekend and it is fully modded.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: mauian

Thank you guys for all the INFO and IDEAS, makes running a gasser so much easier. I will keep ya all informed as to the progress of this sorta rebuild. A CC engine is gonna be the final install this weekend and it is fully modded.
nice, im very interested in seeing what she'll do with that mill!
Old 01-11-2008, 03:13 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The motor has been started and run in the garage not the water yet and seems to run fine, it idles real nice and with light revs no problems at all. I have yet to see what will happen at wot when in the water.
If i'm not mistaken,the stock iso block has two pulse holes,one on top/bottom...so it would not matter ...(carb mounting)...[:-]
Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Believe It
Banned

A note to remember the stock Fujii motor has a walboro carb on it and is set up the same way. I not sure the model # for the carb on the Fujii but it is running and so much easier to start then the Fujii.
Guess i would have to see your setup in person to see how its getting a pulse then.

this is a Zenoah jug.

This is a regular Walbro 644 carb..

inbetween the jug and the carb, is that block which has a hole going straight through it, to send the pulse from the motor to the carb. When you turn the carb 180*, you can see it puts the pulse at the top now, 180* away from the pulse hole on the jug. So unless you have a custom iso block that somehow has the pulse being routed around the block up to the top, i dont see how you are getting a pulse to the carb.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

If i'm not mistaken,the stock iso block has two pulse holes,one on top/bottom...so it would not matter ...(carb mounting)...[:-]
You still have to get the pulse from the jug (which is only at the bottom of the port) to the top somehow... does not matter that the iso block has 2 holes, they are both straight through.......
Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 PM
edmkills

you are correct about the iso block but the pulse passage from the case is below the intake port
Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 PM
mauian

So if this is the case then the motor should not run, yes or no ? I am scratching my head now, I have to go take the carby off and see unless somehow it's getting a pulse. all I know is that it starts and runs. I can even video it running in my garage if ya wanna see it. I dont want to run in water untill I get my Aluminum Headers and pipe but willing to show the motor starts with it turned 180.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:27 PM
glennb2006

Might not do it for long at high revs though!

You may have to go down the external pulse line route with this, or, alternatly, put the carb more conventionally and re work the throttle cable, then run it.

I think the Rio is going to fly with a Zen in it.

Glenn
Old 01-11-2008, 10:43 PM
bentley marshall

if its running its fine it wouldint run with out a pulse just like you would be dead with out a pulse
Old 01-12-2008, 12:59 AM
stuch

it will run without a pulse but like mentioned before when pushed at full tilt it will need the pulse on the topend or the motor will not perform right. i tryed this setup and it didn't work on the topend....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.