Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

shovel nose hydro

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

shovel nose hydro

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:15 AM
stuch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shovel nose hydro

don't see these boats on this site. like to see some pictures of members that have these boats. also setup info and how they handle med coditions like 2-5 inch water.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:57 AM
misshydro

Default RE: shovel nose hydro

you can check out these websighs.[link]http://www.zippkits.com/[/link][link]http://www.missmadison.com/photos.htm[/link][link]http://www.newtonmarine.com/plans.htm[/link] These links have pics of them.I hope this helps you.Heres a pic of a zipkit hydro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28430.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	881851  
Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Most hydros don't like waves much over 1-2 inches high, so if you are looking at 5" waves, you might be better off with a deep vee or a cat. If you are looking at your first build, the Zippkits boats are a good way to start, whether you go with a hydro or a vee
Old 02-18-2008, 03:43 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Most hydros don't like waves much over 1-2 inches high, so if you are looking at 5" waves, you might be better off with a deep vee or a cat. If you are looking at your first build, the Zippkits boats are a good way to start, whether you go with a hydro or a vee
the round noses will handle some chop just fine according to joe and others ive spoken to.checkout the slowmo vid of his roundnose handles just fine.
[link]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GiLxT6ly6kk[/link]
Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Hydro Junkie

Just because one handles it fine doesn't mean they all do. I've seen riggers cartwheel in relatively small waves, sport 40s and scales go over in chop that a vee wouldn't even notice. I'm speaking from over 20 years in hydroplaning when I say they don't like it. By the same token, a driver that watches the conditions and uses the throttle carefully can make ALMOST any boat run in rough conditions, TO A POINT
Old 02-18-2008, 10:25 AM
martno1fan

riggers arent the same as a roundnose .id think they would handle some chop but i have no experience with them only what ive been told and read about them.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 AM
misshydro

Hj is wright.He know alot about all kinds of hydro's. But with chops your also sacrficing your speeds=slower. All hydro's need clam/glass like surface in order for them to preform at there best.To get the wright plane and lift and speeds to go fast that what there orginaly disighn for. If you what a boat that like a hydro and can run in choppy or clam waters then get a Cattermaran/cat. That Zip kit hydro was lucky that it didnt nose dive on him. I ran my hydros in choppy waters and they didnt preform well at all.They ended up nose diving under the water.[8D]
Old 02-18-2008, 11:23 AM
martno1fan

how many roundnose hydros have you run?ive seen a few run on video in reasonably disturbed water in race conditions and they seem to handle just fine?.also old slow and in the way i seem to rememmber said these boats run ok in chop,joe said the same also?.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:35 AM
misshydro

I dont have a round nose as of yet. I have five turbines hydros.But all hydros have the same princeable,All run on three points surfaces on the hull.All where design to run on clam waters. theres time I could run on alittle chops less then 2". 5" is to much.But with any chops you sacrficing the preformance of your hydro.[8D] You said Joe said it runs alright? Do you want a boat to run on alright?Or run at it's best preformance at very fast speeds? To Me I rather have my preform at it best on clam water at top speeds.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:52 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The point is, Race Boats, race.
All others can slow down & still look very scale like. They are ment to go out in chop.

Rich
Old 02-18-2008, 12:09 PM
martno1fan

I think you know nothing about roundnose hydros but you asume because its a hydro it wont handle chop,well ive read from people who have run them and they say different,ive talked to people who have run them and they also say diff so ill listen to those who have run them .Im not saying they are going to handle the conditions of a vee but they run well in chop so ive been told.READ POST 3 FROM OLD SLOW,someone who knows .[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6491599/anchors_6491599/mpage_1/key_ROUNDNOSE%252CHYDRO/anchor/tm.htm#6491599[/link]
Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 PM
stuch

ORIGINAL: cyclops2

The point is, Race Boats, race.
All others can slow down & still look very scale like. They are ment to go out in chop.

Rich
now thats what i was thinking. i know hydro's like calm water i just wanted to know if a shovel nose would handle better then a bud type hydroplane boat.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 PM
stuch

tony at whh makes a real nice shovel nose hydro that i was thinking of getting thats why i started this thread. does anyone have one of his boats if so how does it do with a stock pum260 and a bhhason dry pipe?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:05 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stuch.

I am a member of the full sized GP222 Shovelnose hydro. It weighs 2200#. It beats the crap out of the driver in 12 " chop at 100+ mph. ....The real danger is the wakes fron the race boats building up at the DOWNWIND turn of the course. Now you get a 24" wave. REALLY STUPID to race in that stuff. Boat start to get cracks & driver can completly lose control & cartwheel or flip.

Russian Roulette ???

1/12 of 12 inches is...... 1" high chop....... MAXIMUM for our planning hydros in a windy chop.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:49 PM
martno1fan

Thing is you cant use scale of waves and relate them to model boats just the same as you cant scale the speeds.if your models doing 60 mph and you scale that up to what it would be doing at full size well it would be really traveling [X(].
Old 02-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Hydro Junkie

why not? A full sized unlimited sitting in calm water will look the same as a R/C sitting in calm water. A scale boat sitting in 3 inch waves would look just like a full sized boat in 2 foot waves, so the scale is relative, except for the wavelength. I will agree that speeds do not correspond the same way, since there is a long and complicated formula to compute scale speeds from actual speeds. As far as running in waves, I remember a few years back when the Unlimiteds did an exhibition race on a river to check the feasability of the site. There were 20+ knot winds and waves of over 12 inches. The boats ran one heat and said no way as some of the boats were damaged by the conditions. If you run a scale boat in 5 inch waves, you will (in effect) be running in 3.34 feet of relative scale waves. In my opinion, it's not worth the risk of damaging my boats in those kinds of conditions.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:42 PM
martno1fan

Depends what boats your running i guess as to wether you want to run in 5" chop [.I wouldnt run a hydro in those conditions thats for sure,id def run a thunderboat in 3" chop and intend to when i get round to building one.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Hydro Junkie

I probably wouldn't. Still too rough for a boat that's designed to fly over the water instead of through it
Old 02-18-2008, 05:35 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

I probably wouldn't. Still too rough for a boat that's designed to fly over the water instead of through it
we shall see
Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 PM
stuch

i most likly would'nt be running the boat in 5 inch chop i just wanted to know if a shovel nose could do it better then the typical type hydro. because the lake i run on 40% of the time has those water conditions. i guess i'll be running my vee's on those days. by the way talked to tony at whh today about this ?. and he said shovel nose's do handle chop better then other hydro's.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 AM
davidsilver818

Hay there I have the WHH shovelnose hydro and that boat is a great runner in rough water, remember this is no deep V. I have run this boat at our club lake Camarillo pond rats pond in rough water. One day there was so much wind I could not get the pick up row boat back to shore, 2"-4" chop for sure. For a hydro this boat has a ton of free board. Sits up high off the water for a hydro. I run a seaducer hydro and that boat does not like the rough water. If your running the WHH stingray shovel nose on a large lake with bigger chop than I get at the pond, should work well. The boat with a full tank of gas is also pretty heavy and sits on the water well, hard to blow over. Iam running a stock 26 zen with water cooled head, header, and pipe. Last time I had it at the pond with the GPS had it up to 35.6mph. Now that was on smooth as glass water. Like some of the others have said running at full speed up wind in a large chop will get your heart beat up but can be done with care. If you want more information on this boat or pictures let me know.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:59 AM
stuch

ORIGINAL: davidsilver818

Hay there I have the WHH shovelnose hydro and that boat is a great runner in rough water, remember this is no deep V. I have run this boat at our club lake Camarillo pond rats pond in rough water. One day there was so much wind I could not get the pick up row boat back to shore, 2"-4" chop for sure. For a hydro this boat has a ton of free board. Sits up high off the water for a hydro. I run a seaducer hydro and that boat does not like the rough water. If your running the WHH stingray shovel nose on a large lake with bigger chop than I get at the pond, should work well. The boat with a full tank of gas is also pretty heavy and sits on the water well, hard to blow over. Iam running a stock 26 zen with water cooled head, header, and pipe. Last time I had it at the pond with the GPS had it up to 35.6mph. Now that was on smooth as glass water. Like some of the others have said running at full speed up wind in a large chop will get your heart beat up but can be done with care. If you want more information on this boat or pictures let me know.
hey thanks for the reply loved to see detail pictures of the motor and the rear of the boat and any other shots you have of the boat. thanks again.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:49 AM
martno1fan

As i said shovel nose hydros will handle chop ,dont believe me ask joe and others who run them,sure a vee will handle more .As said these are pretty big boats and not so light as other hydros.Just use some common sense and when its really rough bring out the deep vee .
Mart
Old 02-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Bucky1961

Here is one running Down under
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55348.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	885742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80403.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	885743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38032.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	885744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37315.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	885745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75858.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	885746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10912.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	885747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68705.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	885748  
Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

It's not the same, as gravity is 58.3357% less in Australia...

Really Bucky, just an outstanding job on the boat mate!

We need some video!

Joe Petro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.