Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

How to build a cheap retrieval boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

How to build a cheap retrieval boat

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Dave ESPI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to build a cheap retrieval boat

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: Dave ESPI

15.00 PFD and swim out.
Still not sold on the whole "swim for it" approach - [link=http://www.courant.com/news/local/hcu-voldrown-0701,0,2463893.story]considering this was a mile from my house (and 2 miles from where I run boats) and happened yesterday[/link] - I cant say I will be swimming for a boat anytime soon

take note, they did not have on any floatation device.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=36891507 my buddies goofing on me being a "retrival dog"and I was wearing a US COASTGUARD APPROVED life jacket. Always bring one with you when being out boating.

FWIW, every day people die all the time from different causes.... lets all live in fear why don't we and do nothing .

Be smart, have fun, Be safe

AS TO A BOAT, I can see how having 2 of them on a DX3 radio where you can just switch channels andrunt he otherone out to get it would be kinda cool, but IMHO, the retrival boat will take up more space in my vehicle than I need, and becides, A nice swim in the summer is fun
Old 07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mart,
Use this 540 or 550, what ever you have available, and go with a reduction gear. That's what I am using, except mine is a dual set up. Straight 4mm shaft, that's all.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Dave ESPI

[quote]ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: Dave ESPI

take note, they did not have on any floatation device.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=36891507 my buddies goofing on me being a "retrival dog"and I was wearing a US COASTGUARD APPROVED life jacket. Always bring one with you when being out boating.

FWIW, every day people die all the time from different causes.... lets all live in fear why don't we and do nothing .

Be smart, have fun, Be safe

AS TO A BOAT, I can see how having 2 of them on a DX3 radio where you can just switch channels andrunt he otherone out to get it would be kinda cool, but IMHO, the retrival boat will take up more space in my vehicle than I need, and becides, A nice swim in the summer is fun
The part in your statement i particularly like is the bit where you said 'BE SMART,HAVE FUN,BE SAFE' well all i can say is anyone swimming to fetch a stranded gas boat is neither SAFE nor SMART,sorry to hyjack your thread buddy but it has to be said.
Mart
Old 07-03-2008, 07:21 AM
thevirginian

Dave ESPI is from NY, I reckon. Wonder if he recommends his retrieval method ("swim for it") to guys living in Florida, as well?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:28 AM
powerroller

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

Dave ESPI is from NY, I reckon. Wonder if he recommends his retrieval method ("swim for it") to guys living in Florida, as well?
We only recommend it to vacationing NYers....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25929.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	983195  
Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: powerroller

Lol thats funny
Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 AM
jeremy242

I had to swim for my boat for the first time in a lake that is known to have gators. The funny thing is is that they had a triatolon and the swim part was in this same lake. Another funny thing is is that the sign that says to not feed the gators is now not there. This is a huge lake at UCF so i don't know how you go about removing them but i guess they must have done something.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:56 AM
mopartybob

ORIGINAL: powerroller

Heela funny....I like d'em d'er gater shots...maybe this one has a little more IMPACT... [8D]
Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 AM
thevirginian

jeremy242,
It's like jumping into the ocean with a bunch of Great Whites being present and hoping they don't see me. Freaking crazy [sm=drowning.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 07-04-2008, 11:26 AM
jeremy242

Yeah but the thing with gators is that you know they are there where as sharks may or may not be there.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Hesco Racing

Show more build picks
Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Another reason for a recovery boat....this happened today with my Rio, in a older pond with stagnant water. All kinds of creepy crawleys in here. We don't have gators here in Delaware, but snakes everywhere! Fishing pole with tennis ball got this one out, but I still had to walk in the murk to get it out. Recoery boat would have been much easier.

-Scott

Name:	Ig12977.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	984153  
Old 07-05-2008, 10:19 AM
martno1fan

Looks like you need a bit more floatation in there mate ,its allways easier to recover them if they float dead level in the water rather than nose up.
Mart
Old 07-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Quicksilver

I went the route of getting a $20 walmart raft and paddle, can not imagine not having it now

p.s.
here's a finished boogy board boat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGoRZpx4WyY
I'll post the build thread, but it's on another site, let me know if that's alright to do.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:38 PM
thevirginian

Here is the update of my latest proggress: The skin is on and sanded flush. She looks like a boat already.

Name:	Nl29038.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	984606   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43667.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	984607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42174.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	984608  
Old 07-05-2008, 06:42 PM
thevirginian

Next step was to drill the hole for the stuffing tube. Since I didn't have a drill that long I came up with a alternative. I use the stuffing tube as a drill. All I had do to was to serrate on end of it with a thin cutting wheel and my Dremel. Shape one end like a crown and you can use it like a drill. That brass tubing drills thru the plywood like butter. Then I built the skeg and glued it in place along with the stuffing tube. Tonite I am going to glass the outside. I told you she builds fast.

Name:	Jh17086.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	984610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62694.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	984611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69746.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	984612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80246.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	984613  
Old 07-06-2008, 07:19 PM
thevirginian

After glassing the hull on the outside and putting one coat of epoxy on on the inside last night she was reay for a test run in the pool. CG seems to be perfect. I am going to run a 12V 7Amp Drycell battery and she really does need some ballast. If I have no interruptions this week I might be able to finish her by the weekend. Here is a picture in the pool.

Name:	Bz78742.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	985146  
Old 07-07-2008, 03:20 AM
martno1fan

Looks great mate you just gave me an idea for mine i also have a dry cell 12 v battery,its a little smaller than yours but should be perfect.Might order a 600 motor for it.
Mart
Old 07-07-2008, 07:13 AM
thevirginian

Man, I tell ya that twin 550s are the bomb. Lots of torque, which is what you need for a rescue boat anyway. I bought a big three bladed plastic prop from GRAUPNER. Low pitch but large diameter. Don't now any exact numbers, though.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Marinero

Howdy, been watchin the thread while working on my own low budget rescue boat. I looked at the MHZ R boat and thought looks like pvc to me ! Since I couldn't find a Boogie Board to mod and motorize,... I decided to put some old PVC 3 inch to use. originaly I was thinking of a troll motor but too much weight , so I'm looking into a lipo 550 twin rig like you guys are talking about .. any pics of the drive and shaft layout ? This R boat is wide enough ( 23.5 ") to fit my Proboat Hydro front or back, but I want to be able to run it on a full charge when I do , so I need a charger docking cable in between races, sure wish I could find some mack lipos to power this thing.
Thanks D

Name:	Yw66441.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	986744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10831.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	986745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68887.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	986746  
Old 07-09-2008, 03:22 AM
martno1fan

That looks good ive never seen anyone use pvc before either.
Mart
Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Hesco Racing

Marinero,

Cool looking vesel. Ever thought of using the pipe to hold a motor each side with a mechanical seal through which the shaft goes (kind of like a pool pump). then you can use the motors as steering and use smaller motors. I think I am going to use your idea as a rescue boat. Once again cool man cool.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Marinero

Hesco, Thanks

I am having to look for a couple of sealed tubaxial motors to do just that , but the catch is both ends of the r boat are working ends and if I run the props on the flat end into the boat to be retieved...... well you get it. I haven't completely given up on the idea of a troll motor hanging down from the cross struts , but unless I cage the prop and get some nice light batteries , I'll have to look at placing the smaller motors and props in a cage at the end of the straight tubes. right now the tubes are foam filled to make the r boat unsinkable. for a few bucks I can make another like you mentioned , Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look forward to your pvc r boat on this string, hint , I found that this dia. pipe with foam can float about ten lbs max so you may want to use a greater dia. pipe, I think the 4 " is likely next step.

Let keep this thing going and see whats next, anything beats swimming for your boat or another rowboat trip accross the lake.

D
Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 PM
monsterbrad

Has anybody seen the pics of a traxxas villian pushing a nose mounted unit for retrieval?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 PM
thevirginian

Marinero,
I just epoxied the deck of my boat. Tomorrow I will take some pictures of the drive unit for you. One thing you might want to consider with your boat: Speed. Sometimes time is of essence and you need a speedy boat to go for the rescue. Can your boat do that? Just to give you something to think about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.