Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 what pipe is this >

what pipe is this

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

what pipe is this

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:12 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what pipe is this

i just got this aluminum WTC and pipe from a friend and he does not know who made it. it looks like is WAS a one piece at one time and someone cut it, it also looks too long but before i cut it i would like to know makes it and so i can talk to them about my setup. thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50665.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	991930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx30847.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	991931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io64950.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	991932  
Old 07-16-2008, 06:19 PM

Default RE: what pipe is this

What you have is whats known as the "Hanson" WTC ( Wrap to Center) header.
A Macs pipe 15CC Nitro pipe. * It is the SAME pipe as the Zero band gas pipe but does NOT have the water cooled coupler welded on it.

The set up is is likely @ 4" or more too long !! .... even when this WTC header is used with the water cooled coupler the tuned length was too long for peak performance. Using the Nitro version pipe like you have, it CAN NOT be used as short as a water coupler equipped version.

It's just not the set up you want if looking for max performance from the engine .... sorry to say [:'(]
Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 PM

well i just got back from running the boat that pipe has lots lots of low and mid range top end was not too bad. i also have this pipe http://slappy.org/~john/sspipe.htm would this work better with the WTC header? by the way i'm running 27cc air cooled 46" mono
Old 07-16-2008, 11:13 PM

Have no clue as too that pipes MAXIMUM diameter, But that said, if the pipe is even close to typical specs of pipes we use on 22.5 & 25.4 cc Zenoahs, It should measure up at about this:

Measured following the CENTER LINE of header / pipe starting at ex flange connection to cylinder, should from that point to the weld seam of pipe fall between 12 1/2" to 13 1/2"

* It is WELL DOCUMENTED that a WTC header with ANY production pipe OTHER THAN the "Cooper Shorty" is too long !!
Unfortunately the COOPER shorty is no longer built and why you don't see WTC systems like you have being used on competitive race boats
Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 PM

one more thing what would be a good pipe for me? or should i just get a new header and pipe
thank you for all your help
Old 07-18-2008, 12:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm kind of surprised that Scott didn't say anything about the pipe mount as that's a disaster waiting to happen. Putting the clamp on that side of the pipe is going to make it squeeze out of it and toss it into the water. Back pressure will give it the extra push.
I witneesed just a couple of weeks ago what back pressure can do to a gas tuned pipe and one that had a heavy-duty clamp on it no less! It pushed the pipe back a good inch and rotated the clamp about 180 degrees.