Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Less noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 AM
monsterbrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Less noise?

Any of you guys running those silencers on the end of a tuned pipe ??
I would like to quiet mine down a bit and how much power do they rob?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Less noise?

They dont quieten things down that much but do help a bit you dont see any significant power loss at all.Have look at these ones i found they work better than any of those you stick on the end .Not that hard to make if you can weld ali ,maybe jb weld might work im not sure.
Mart
Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 AM
jacob711

i think mart is reffering to the hanson one that doesnt work well, the best ones are T-mod and i think cooper mushrooms work well too and neither of these rob power and they reduce the noise considerably

http://www.redlinemotors.us/#/pipesa...tpa/4521241598
Old 07-18-2008, 10:19 AM
martno1fan

Considerably? hmm from all the searchings and reading ive done not many seem to work that well def not legal over here thats for sure which is 82 db [X(].Thats why the guy came up with those designs,read his article and you will see he tried all the so called quiet american pipes and not many if any came under the legal 82 db level for here.If you want quiet then the european pipes are the quietest by far as by law they have to be .My pipes are american and they are loud with a capital L ,jeroentune and dave marles to name 2 makers of great quiet pipes,not to mention powerfull performers too.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
jacob711

yeah of course jeroentune and similar pipes are quieter but he was asking about add on silencers and i have seen boats with them and they are a fair bit quieter than without, i actually made a slip on one from a small aerosol can and it was heaps quieter than without
Old 07-18-2008, 11:52 AM
tmt32mj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike T can custom make the water fitting for the silencer. Or you can get a silencer and put a water fitting on it yourself. That will lower it down a few more DB.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:16 PM
mopartybob

Has anyone tried this setup yet,of course this by all means would'nt do for a racer,but for a sport boat kinda guy,it might be worth considering.... the muffler is sold seperately...55.00US$ due to the constraints at my pond,i'll be trying one of these out, i basically had the same setup on my nitro vee with a cmb.21,3.5 macs pipe runnin thru the stock dual exhaust chamber,and it was just as quiet as a fast electric,with no appreciable loss of power....[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17307.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	993004  
Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
monsterbrad

That would rob power
Well at this point looks like the boat stays loud
Old 07-18-2008, 05:49 PM
mopartybob

I like loud too.... but so far no-one has replied to this setup yet to determine if any power is lost.... [:-]I'm not talking about using that power-robbing header,just tuned pipe into this muffler.....
Old 07-18-2008, 11:04 PM
MrMikeG

Noise canceling in a muffler is done by making the sound waves change direction. Any flow through type exhaust is going to be loud. Tuned pipes don't need to be flow through to work. The best noise canceling in a pipe is an internal stinger. Larry put a stinger at right angles into the fat part of a QD pipe and it was very quiet, now everybody is doing internal stingers, if you combine that with an offset stinger muffler you will be quieter than the intake honking. After those two the third source of noise is hull resonance. Cowls do a good job on intake and hull noise.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:57 AM
mopartybob

good points there Mr Mike,granted this offset stinger will deflect sound waves,but would there be an appreciable power loss,...????
Old 07-19-2008, 01:45 AM
pedro2-5

i run a wet pipe and silencer and dont notice any powerloss
Old 07-19-2008, 02:28 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: monsterbrad

That would rob power
Well at this point looks like the boat stays loud
That silencer wouldnt rob power ,so long as it has a larger diam than the stinger its fine it has two exits so its not like the pressure will build up any .The article i posted goes through quite a few of the pipes available today i think i read somewhere he has done one for the internal stinger qd pipe and although that one is suposed to be quiet it is still a bit too loud for the uk and europe i think hence why the guy still added an external muffler.The pipes i use are def not legal as regards noise levels but im trying to come up with a solution similar to those in that link.
Mart
haha just checked i forgot the link enjoy
[link]http://www.home.zonnet.nl/H.A.Spoor/FSR/Muffling-article.htm[/link]
Old 07-19-2008, 07:55 AM
MrMikeG

The muffler pictured should work good as a muffler, it depends on that first outlet, if you can see the pipe stinger it will still be loud. As long as the outlets are bigger it should not restrict flow, no restricted flow, no loss of performance.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:17 AM
martno1fan

Maybe add a bend via silicone joiner would help a bit ?,out of interest whats the db level allowed over there Mike.
Mart
Old 07-19-2008, 09:00 AM
jacob711

i don't know about where Mike is but i don't think we have any noise restrictions, no one seems to complain about noise and the rangers etc. don't seem to be fussed about it they usually just sit around and spectate lol, but if i am running at a pond near houses the old people give me the evil eyes
Old 07-19-2008, 09:17 AM
martno1fan

No restirctions [X(] your lucky then.
Mart
Old 07-19-2008, 05:59 PM
grant118
My Feedback: (26)

I made one out of carbon fiber and 6061 t6 aluminum. It cut the high pitch growl of the tune pipe from 96 db to 89 db measured at only 20 feet from the boat. Send me a pm and I will give you details on the cost for me to make you one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10124.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	993749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48127.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	993750  
Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 PM
MrMikeG

We do have noise restrictions when you race. 94db @ X meters, I can't remember the distance exactly. All my boats and my local mates boats are very quiet, we run in a great area not far from some houses on the park lands and we don't want to loose it. My Insane cat gets the nickname the sewing machine at races because it is so quiet. I run Cooper Mufflers mostly, they have some that are a lot better than others though. I also have the Jerome Pipe and Dave Marles quietest (sp) pipe. The best thing about running quiet boats is you don't go home with a headache after a days running!