Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

THE PINK BEAST!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

THE PINK BEAST!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:37 AM
schnipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE PINK BEAST!

i love this thing, anyone have any suggestion, mods, etc..aswell i told some that o put a JR spectrum radio in my boats and it was like i got the worst radio on earth...any feedback??????? is this not a good radio system?
Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 AM
wayneuk01

Default RE: THE PINK BEAST!

i would get the fasst 3pm 2.4 or 6ex 2.4
Old 08-08-2008, 08:50 AM
schnipster

dude i love that you would get that but i already have this one...just asking for feedback.........sugestions etc
Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Look for the Sprektrum ad here and follow the link. I found it strange that on some aircraft they were telling people to add a second receiver because of one might not be able to pick up the signal being behind the engine. Big $$$ for a radio system then have to buy a not-cheap 2nd RX?
What's that got to boats you ask? OK, most of the time our radio boxes are surrounded by not only the engine but also in gas boats, a big tuned pipe which in what they're saying is bouncing the signals away from the RX. It appears that the tiny antenna isn't getting the job done and could use to get up and away from anything interfering with it getting a signal.
In the meantime , no thanks, I'll stick with my FM radios.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
schnipster

i am nervous and curious at the same time in medical terms thats called a newrvous breakdown
Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 AM
LouDog

I have ordered a DX3.0 for my KOS so we will see what happens.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 PM
schnipster

you think if i turn mine on i can run your boat from toronto??lololol
Old 08-08-2008, 02:23 PM
doby

I run a DX3 on all my electric boats for the past 3 years with no issues.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: schnipster

i love this thing, anyone have any suggestion, mods, etc..aswell i told some that o put a JR spectrum radio in my boats and it was like i got the worst radio on earth...any feedback??????? is this not a good radio system?
schnip,

there are quite a few threads on this subject,
to keep it short, only a hand full of people have had good success with the Spectrum including JR.

They work great in buggies, cars and MT's and seem to be working without much problems in FE Boats, but in nitro and gas boats the majority have had nothing but problems including the Spectrum from JR.

Dan.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:36 PM
doomracing

dx3? never liked that radio. not because it's junk, but it just feels as if it's toy grade to me. probably because i've used futaba radios for.... well forever. i do love my dx7 i use for my sailboats though. my rio came with a cheap tactic fm pistol grip. not sure who makes it, but i mite switch to my futaba T3PDF
Old 08-08-2008, 02:38 PM
schnipster

i was told the spektrum radio is awesome! aaaaaah what do i do now!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:03 PM
doomracing

dude chill. you got a great radio coming. no worries. plains fly further away from you than your boat will. your driving the boat up higher than it. you'll have no problem. the only time i have a problem with my sailboat, and my dx7 is if i sit on the dock, and drive it. plus my hull is made of carbon fiber. you'll probably have zero problems.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:07 PM
schnipster

everyone is telling me that the spektrum system is a no no in boats especially gas, but i cant find much in here detailing those facts.......aaaah
Old 08-08-2008, 03:18 PM
doomracing

there are issues in plains, but none that i have seen in sailboats. no there is no motor to block the signal in a sailboat, but i still say your going to be fine. not to mention while others are worrying about frequencies you just flip in your radio, and go.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:12 PM
JakeDW

Is it the pro 3001?

You know I wonder if the guys at futaba took a spektrun apart and made their own.Hummmm same with airtronics they are all 2.4 systems.

I race pan cars 4 cell brushless motors carbonfiber chassies on carpet = allmost the worst thing for a spektrum system but
I run a pro 3001 with a cap no issues ever but people at the track do have problems with the 3000 stuff.

I have a race buddy that has the futaba fasst system and it has glitched on him befor (so not fool proof)I think the problem is people are either using the old greay case stuff or just A LOT MORE spektrum systems out there to have problems with.I am going to add some length to my pro recivers antenna and run it out of the hull allso with a antenna mount.so we will see and I will tell you the good or bad of it..

Planes are foreign to me so no comment.

Jake
Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 PM
doomracing

actually the futaba fast system has been in use for over 10 years now. it's been used in factory's to run equipment. supposedly has a 5 mile range, but i'm not going to make a commercial here. futaba was first. JR brought it to the hobby world as spektrum.

i wouldn't worry too much about it though. keep the rx as high up as ya can. if your really worried about it get the (i believe) ar7000 rx. being that it's a 2 piece rx you should be fine, but i think an rx will be fine.

oh ya. what's the pink beast?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry, I've seen two of them fail on the same day, one in a Pro Boat Thunder-Cat 31 and the other in a high-dollar CMD 'rigger.
If you plan on using it, put a good 5-cell receiver pack in it and keep a good charge. Mount the RX as high up in the radio box as possible.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 PM
schnipster

the pink beast is my new "circus circus" aermarine challenger 48 i just received from an RC universe member i am sooo excited to run it tomorow

as far as the batteries go i have really good rechargeables that i keep charged and monitor....i have removed the idle screw and used the radio for the throttle and i have set it to go full brakes if things go wrong...lol
Old 08-08-2008, 11:50 PM
toyingaround

Hi guys,
I have had customers even after I suggested not using the spectrum DX 3 and up radios
in there gas boats do it anyways, and everyone of them had miss haps.
I called JR and the tech there said do not under any circumstances put them in Gas powered boats.
Has to due with the igintion and the narrow band wave of the systems that causes problems.
Now I do have other customers that have been running the older DX 2 spectrums and they have had good luck
with them
Just some info. I've collected, hope it helps.
Cheers
Carl
Old 08-09-2008, 07:35 AM
schnipster

i might throw up a little...
Old 08-09-2008, 08:16 AM
sandydr

I use a AR6200 in a Seawind sailing boat and have never had any issues with radio glitches or distances. However, it does not have any type of engine and at the speed it runs, I doubt I would notice a glitch anyway. I tried it in the Arrowshark once and it did not go well at all.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:16 AM
LouDog

Well I have my DX3.0 Installed with the 3001 RX in my KOS so we will see what happens. Will report Sunday.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:58 AM
JakeDW

I guess my point was they are all 2.4 systems all have had issues.

Ron what system was it that failed in the 2 boats the old or newer system?

The 3001 pro system is allso water proffed.

Jake
Old 08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Dan S

no one disputes the fact that the Spektrum radio line are a great system.

they work well on land and seems to do quite good in sail boats, but are having a hard time in power boats.

one of the reason for this is that the system is not frequency hopping, it stays on the one clear channel/frequency and only changes if that frequency is no longer good enough for the system.
Thats when the problem occurs, it looks for another/better freq and the time it takes to do this is pretty darn fast but its long enough for the boat to go into fail safe and turn off.

There are other little problems but the issues have been covered and beaten to death in a good number of threads.

They are looking at resolving the problem, is it going to be freq hopping?....don't know, and don't know when it will come out (maybe next year).

AGAIN, is it a good radio?

YOU bet your behind it is.

Would I recommended it to someone to put into their Gas/Nitro Boats?..... No I would not, if I did....I would have one.

Dan.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:02 PM
doomracing

now that sucks. my friend races 1/8 buggies, and is using a futaba fast system. has had zero problems. hmmmmm this realy does suck

is it maybe just a jr thing, or is the futaba freq hopper?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.