Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Insane Cat or Hydro?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Insane Cat or Hydro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:22 PM
ryanprojas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insane Cat or Hydro?

Looking for some power of persuasion. I'm looking to build my first gasser but I seem to be torn between the Insane Cat and Hydro. I will power it up with a full mod Zen from CC. Any pros or cons from the veterans out there....expected speeds....handling? I know the simple answer is to build both.....but I can only afford one right now. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:49 PM
rcboateric
Banned

Default RE: Insane Cat or Hydro?

if I were you, I'd build a cat, insane cat has a solid body and runs fast and stable, if you have a full mod engine plus a good set up, your future cat should run 70's.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 PM
JakeDW

Uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm BOTHI would really like to get a Gen 2 Stryker hydro well and a Stryker F41 cat allso.I not sure if the list really ends

Jake
Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 PM
speed328max

I have an insane cat gen1 and a insane cat gen2.
THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:32 AM
Silent-AV8R

I agree that the cat is the better choice for a first gas boat. And Insane makes one of the best. I have a Gen I and like it a bunch. Plus I run against a whole bunch of Gen II Insane cats and they are hard to beat. I will say that expecting speeds in the 70's is a bit optimistic. Most run in the upper 50's to low 60's for heat racing. My Gen I runs 56 to 58 in heat trim. Even in SAWS runs a Gen II cat holds the G-1 NAMBA SAWS record which is 76 something MPH. And he spent a LOT of time with Jeff Michaud (owner of Insane) working on the set up to hit that speed and keep it on the water.

But they are great boats that are tons of fun to run and as fast as you need to be!!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking into the fastest boat on the water for your CC then get a wooden "Whiplash" hydro. Not to beat. It runs like it is glued to the surface doing easily 70+.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Silent-AV8R

Agreed on the Whiplash. I just picked one up and it is nasty fast and runs like the water is Velcro. Having said that, it is absolutely NOT a good first gas boat. The OP wants a good first gas project. It is not clear if he has any other boat experience experience either, and again, a Whiplash, or any other hydro (sport or rigger) is not the place to get started. At least I do not think so.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 AM
ryanprojas

This is not my first boat, just the first gas powered one. I have a nitro tunnel, a supervee and a miss vegas that I converted over to electric. I am a little familiar with tuning on the miss vegas hydro with respect to strut angle, strut height, moving the turnfin to trim out the boat, moving the center of gravity....stuff like that. I would like a cat to learn how to trim them in...as i don't have one of them yet, but I love how the hydro's run. I was looking at getting one that i could do a little racing with along with tinkering. Thanks for the replies by the way. I've looked at the whiplashes.....but I think the heavier fiberglass lay up on the Insane would be a better fit for me at this time....along with the abundance of info on their setup. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:10 PM
rcboateric
Banned

let us know once you get your new insane cat, we have a couple fast cats in this forum and we can "push" yours into 60's or even 70's, lol.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Twin BB

This summer i purchased a gen 3 insane hydro, full mod cc engine first gas boat, Crazy fast, what i love about the hydro is the ability to do full speed hard turns and lose little to no speed. only flew planes in the past, no problem converting to the wet side of the force
Old 09-24-2008, 05:24 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about some video of your hydro id like to see it gotta love hydros,heres mine zippkits rockett,awesome fast and loves chop too.
Mart
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVGBWC_3MuY[/link]
Old 09-24-2008, 05:47 PM
rcboateric
Banned

all we used were the well known hulls and engines, just got back from the pond for the final adjust of my sprint cat, it went 73.5-75mph of the saw speed, will take a vid tomorrow if the weather allows it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44091.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1040308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29269.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1040309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74441.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1040310  
Old 09-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Silent-AV8R

You'll find that when you run through the traps at a SAWS event that your speed will be slower than what you get on a GPS. This is due to the fact that SAWS runs measure your speed over a 330 foot distance and then you take the average of 2 back to back runs. GPS will record the single fastest speed during a run. Most GPS updates every second so that speed may be for something as short as a 90 to 100 feet.

In the end you cannot really compare GPS to SAWS. I've seen differences of up to 8 mph between the two with GPS always being the higher of the two.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:00 PM
rcboateric
Banned

I have compared this GPS to my car's speed meter many times and they show the actual same speed when I drive on the freeway, I believe it uses a few satelites to detect my cat's speed, otherwise, what else can I do for the speed test?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:03 PM
JakeDW

So running 75 for 90 or 100 feet really is not running 75?I am confused.I dont think he claimed to have the new SAW record.

Its funny it use to be prove it with gps now gps means nothing along with the radar gun only traps tell the truth WELL the average truth.

Good job making her faster Eric,if she goes 69 or 75 its getting with it.Next time set up your own traps befor you give us speed readings though.

Take what I say with a grain of salt

Jake

Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 PM
rcboateric
Banned

ORIGINAL: JakeDW

Next time set up your own traps befor you give us speed readings though.

Take what I say with a grain of salt

Jake

you're a funny man jake. the cat can't go any faster, 75mph is the fastest speed so far unless wally jumps in...LOL