Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Hunter Twin Build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Hunter Twin Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:28 PM
FlogginHarvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hunter Twin Build

I am using two types of MHZ fillers. The one in the Apache is actually a Slimline piece. The others I think are MHZ-only pieces on the Mystic. I haven't been around the Mystic as it is in Tony's Shop...I will try to shoot some pix to see if it is close...
Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
5150Cat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Floggin
Got a pic finally of the fuel filler. Or at least as good as I could. Hard to get such a small piece good after I had it anodized black. Kind of hides everything. I'm thinking like you guys said. Just needs to be blocked off. Confirm if you can on your boats though if you don't mind?

Also made an executive decision on the paint. I'm not going with the Mt. Dew as previously decided. I'm going with the RockStar Recovery theme. It's a good drink and will make a killer paint scheme. Gloss black and bright ***** yellow. So I can get my shiney black to polish but still have the wicked bright yellow to keep it visable on the water. And it's something I feel comfortable doing myself. Which is a bonus. And RockStar supports a lot of racing.....so I gotta throw them some support back.

And who knows, maybe they will throw me a few freebies once I send them the pics of the completed boat cresting a wave at 50mph! (although I got no love from Jack Daniels and the Mercedes CLK I did up custom.....dangit!)

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42767.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1481742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53932.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1481743  
Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 PM
02f350psd
My Feedback: (3)

What is going on with the build? Any updates?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: 02f350psd

What is going on with the build? Any updates?
yeah, I'm curious too! what's cookin?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:12 PM
01VIPER27
My Feedback: (1)

Same here! That makes 3!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Paul M

Kinda worried. Mike was hot and heavy on this thing day after day and now 2 1/2 months later nothing
Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 PM
5150Cat

Hey guys,
Man holy busy!

Unfortunately good and bad news. I got a killer promotion with work......that's the good news.....means more money for boats and eventually a bigger garage!

Bad part? I'm stuck up in LA for training until March 2011. Ouch.

So there will be a brief break......hopefully to give my buddy time to get his butt in gear at the machine shop. Still waiting for my exhaust and some other random parts from him.

Sorry for the delay. Not happy about it myself. Thanks for keepin me in check though!

Mike
Old 10-28-2010, 05:12 PM
FlogginHarvey

congrats on the promotion!!! No worries here...keep learning!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Paul M

Ditto. The more $ they spend on ya less likely they are to turn ya loose.

Congrats but get your priorities in gear, bro. Toy boats = numero uno
Old 10-28-2010, 11:41 PM
5150Cat

Yeah fortunately I work for the government so I think I'm safe! Phew......feeling lucky for that as many of my friends have not been so lucky! So a promotion is definitely good.

I'm looking forward to getting this Monster done though. It's driving me nuts taking up space here in the garage an seeing no action.

Definitely still learning too. Like I said, hopefully I can get my machine shop buddy cranking on parts for me soon......then I can finish this thing up!

Mike
Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 PM
01VIPER27

What have you got left to do on it buddy?Answer only if you are free. WORKcan wait. kidding...
Old 12-31-2010, 07:20 PM
5150Cat

Hey guys,
Well in between being up in LA for training and back down home here for some work. I've run into a huge issue. Once again the ADHD is in full force! )

I just converted my FG Evo 1/5th scale street car over to.a brushless set up thanks to Castle's new Mamba XL motor. This things a beast!

So what does everyone think about selling off my brand new twin setup motors and making the boat brushless/Lipo. I think it would be lighter, faster and would definitely allow me to run on more lakes and piss of less hippies here in So Cal....

What's everyone think? I love the power of the brushless/Lipo setups and have converted all most everything over. I'm highly considering it?

Mike
Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Paul M

Sounds like a great idea. Just be prepared for a serious bit of cash out lay. I was looking into that at one time and to get a boat that big running electric with any speed is going to take some serious motors and batteries. I'm thinking a few grand.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 AM
01VIPER27

Hi Mike,
In reviewing where you are currently at on this project, I personally think that your boat with all due respect will not go faster than 35 MPH scale speed. I know this because I had 2 - M6 Engines on my 64F. It was the only M6 Twinline produced to turn the MHZ m-1570Tgearbox which got me 40MPH tops on my 64F. Considering the fact that your boat is larger and heavier than mine with the additional S6 drive which also has OD all driven by an M5 Twinline will most likely yield you no more than 35 MPH tops.

35 to 40 MPH on our large scale boats powered by an M5 or M6 Twinline or even a Blata engine is not shamefull but I wanted to at least hit 50 MPH. To achive that speed, I had to convert my V3 Twinline (yours is a V2 Twinline) by replacing the heads with a couple of Dominator Head Kits (29 CC) from Les Smith of Performance Unlimited. My preliminary test of using a single M6 engine got my boat to a maximum speed of 10 MPH (yes you read it right) while a SINGLE Dominator Head kit on the same M6 Case got my boat to cruise at 30 MPH.

All the ponds around here are all currently frozen and I have yet to test a new rigid coupler from Tony of WHH on my Twinline Dominator Heads which should easily get me to my target speed of 50 MPH based on my tests. Anything above 50 MPH will be icing on the cake. I would like to test it out on the lake but its just really way too cold in the open shore of Lake Ontario with a wind chill factor of -20*C on good days.

If you are truly considering on going electric, you may want to get in touch with Tom Borisch of Class One Racing who is doing an electric project on one of his CAT. Tom has a thread on it . Going brushless and lipo will easily get your boat to 60 MPH but you will have to consider closing off all your hatch openings or waterproofing all your electronic equipment and also having 2 or 3 sets of power packs. Its no longer the same as dunking a gas engine.

Take my advise of sending your current power plant to Les Smith of Performance Unlimited to have him do it up to an inline ANNIHILATOR set up with a rigid coupler for much less than you will spend on an electric set up. Here is the link;
http://www.shop.performanceunlimited...-InLine-61.htm
Old 01-12-2011, 03:40 PM
5150Cat

That's definitely a good idea. But part of the problem in going with heavily modded engines like that is reliability for me. I know we aren't talking Honda cars here or anything, but it seems like the more you mod a motor the more tempremental they get when it comes to tuning, starting, etc.

I'm really leaning towards that brushless. But Paul you are right, some of the motors some of these guys are using are $800 a piece. That sucks *****.

But I wouldn't need the gearbox, wouldn't need the engines of course. I could sell both of those and make some of that back. I just really like the idea of going to the pond with nothing more than a handful of batteries, the boat and the controller......that's nice. The boat would be lighter as well which is a plus for me......

We'll see. Still trying to find some cheaper but still good motors that would work for the set up. The Lehner are crazy expensive......Castle sells Neu which I've been happy with in the past. And now Castle has their own monster motor for the HPI 5B/5T conversions......I'm hoping they jump more into the monster motor side of things! I have an email into them now......

Mike
Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 AM
5150Cat

Ok, so I'm looking more into this......Matt give me your thoughts on electric......been waiting to here what the sensai has to say about all this thought.

I started a thread on the Castle motors too:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10295492

I'm really wanting this boat to be wicked fast. And in looking at the weight of all this gast stuff......I'm thinking the electric would and could be a doable thing!

What are you guys thinking? 4 6s lipo monster packs, waterproofed from Maxamps with a couple Castle motors?

Mike
Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
mistycreekboats

You shouldadd your project to the electric boys area too - I'm sure they will have way more input then the gas guys here. I run many twins and it depends what you are looking for - 50 or 60 mph is not unreasonable but from what I have seen the same 50 - 60 in electric is almost twice the price.

There is some awesome 'stock' gas power around right now -

One of biggest issues I see is guys who over engineer their boats simplicity ofen equals speed - there is no magical formula for speed it's about power simple as that - gas or electric

Many guys out there doing the 28 and 29 cc kits - many cheaper then one's quoted above - DDM sells a 28.5 kit with ESP porting and accepts stock cap (cylinder diameter turned down) for less than 200.00 - Gizmo is around the same.

I hope you stay gas - although I have a feeling this hull will end up for sale un finished some where - just because of the planning - I have seen very few projects that ever get finished where guys did that much and then changed the power from gas to electric

Good luck with your build - hope you decide what YOUwant .........

Cheers

Randy
Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Paul M

Mike,

Whats your idea of wicked fast? Mine is 70 mph + but that's why I am into small cats.

If yours is much over 50, maybe the hunter is the wrong hull. Some hulls are simply not designed to be able to take alot of speed. Take special note to the 2nd post (Matt's) on your thread. It's good info.

I would stay the course with this boat. Play with it and then sell it to fund the next project. I think you'd be happy with a smaller FE cat. Your other option is to part this project out now if you have lost interest in this one and move on. No sense in plugging along if it's no fun - too much like work

If your hell bent on fast electric, you'd better hook up with someone who knows that hobby really well because you are fixin to drop some major coin and you don't want to waste it.

I mean the last place you want advice on FE is on a gas boat forum, RIGHT??[:-]
Old 01-29-2011, 06:10 PM
seawolf31635-1661
My Feedback: (7)

Hi haven,t read all the post but Gizmo sells a new zenoah 28.5 whitch is a 30cc motor and if not misled wrong he sells inlines motors & mounts these motors have a lot of tork and can turn good rpm too have a 84 " expresscraft No drives like you got when you run the outdrives you lose a lot of your power .You can go on Jims RC Boat Docks .com and fin a lot of good info there .
Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
5150Cat

I've realized that I'm kind of at a turning point in this hobby. With the power of brushless and ease of lipo's the draw for me is huge there. Ease of use, huge power and just simplicity.....all plus marks in my book. I'm looking at slowly convering everything over. My 5th scale street and dirt cars, possibly this boat and even my 84" P-51B may go electric.

Spending a good weekend doing some research I think the electric stuff is still to new and still to expensive for me to convert this hull over to brushless. Since the only thing I am missing to finish the boat is exhuast system stuff....I'm going to stick with my inline M5 motors from WHH. I'm going to dig around once I get back home the end of this month and see if I can't get the bad boy up and running. I'm tired of it sitting in my garage and not being wet.

So I'll stay the course with current power and such. Think I've come up with some ideas for exhaust as well. To make it easier and a little more fool proof for what I want to do. I'll draw that up when I get home also.

Couple servos, some props and exhaust and it should be getting closer. Just have to move it up on the list of projects.

Mike
Old 02-08-2011, 06:51 PM
01VIPER27

I am glad to hear thatyou are sticking with your plan. Looking forward to its completion and maiden voyage.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Delinport

ORIGINAL: 5150Cat

Ok, so I'm looking more into this......Matt give me your thoughts on electric......been waiting to here what the sensai has to say about all this thought.

I started a thread on the Castle motors too:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10295492

I'm really wanting this boat to be wicked fast. And in looking at the weight of all this gast stuff......I'm thinking the electric would and could be a doable thing!

What are you guys thinking? 4 6s lipo monster packs, waterproofed from Maxamps with a couple Castle motors?

Mike
I like your build so far. If your worried about power and don't want to spend a ton of cash you might look into the RCMK S520. I think it is suppose to put out around 10hp and you can pick one up for just over $600. I have built a couple big deep vee boats and big boats need some power to push them at decent speeds. the gearbox you have will help put that power to the water. I have used the same one connected to a polini. If the inline rcmk was out a few years ago I would have bought one. Below is a photo of the 50cc polini setup I used to push a 65 inch GTX hull. I never got the gps on it but it was fast enough for lift off if you were not careful. By the way....Matt was a huge help when I built my last two boats too!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18646.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1560584  
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 PM
5150Cat

Alright guys. Seems like I've said this at least 9 other times in this post, but I'm back. LOL. Life and work are really messing with my boat projects!

My hold up is the custom exhaust currently. I'm in the works of getting a custom side exhuast for each side that should be pretty sweet. But working out the logistics and getting it to work right via the machine shop is taking some time. It will look good.....but I've tossed around the idea of going with something stock.....but I want to make it custom and sweet!

Got another issue that's coming up as well. I want to run Hitec digital high power servos. But for my trim servos on the boat they have to be winch type servos. Anyone know if I can crack open the case and modify the stops on a stock digital servo? I just need to pull out the pin that would cause it to stop. I need the servo to make a 360 degree or more turn. Let me know what you guys think.

Mike
Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 AM
02f350psd
My Feedback: (3)

Any updates for us???
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
5150Cat

Man I'm a loser! I can't believe it's been this long but it has. The move has finally been completed and now I'm staring on the task of getting the garage in some sort of workable order.

Good news is? Hunter is my first priority. I ordered headers, pipes, couplers and some servos today. They should be here next week. I've got to get some carbon fiber and I have my fiberglass guy coming by next week to talk about paint and finish.

I have a buddy in Huntington Beach with a ski boat who will be my chase boat. So I'm looking forward to that.

Sorry for the delay dudes. Life really is screwin up my hobby time and cold beverage consumption! I'll keep the updates coming!

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.