Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Are you crazy ... Crazy enough for this ?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Are you crazy ... Crazy enough for this ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Scott Schneider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you crazy ... Crazy enough for this ?

Why do we never get enough, enough sleep, enough food ... heck even enough power in our model boats !! Why is it when one is not enough, we want TWO ?

* so back to the original question .... Are You THIS Crazy ?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21666.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1209922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96749.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1209923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53467.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1209924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53013.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1209925  
Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 AM
Mr.Freeze

Default RE: Are you crazy ... Crazy enough for this ?

That sure is a funny looking sea plane, where are the ailerons. Tim the tool man would be proud. ugg ugg ugg more power.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm on the edge right now so that would surely push me over!  Twice the motors, 4 times the hassles.

Is that one of the boats coming out of Mike Coppolino's shop? Those pipes look familiar, I just got one yesterday from Kevin Sheren.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:28 PM
slotcsx
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waste of time, been there done that, runs like two boats side by side with one missing left sponson and one missing right sponson connected together. One motor on smaller lighter boat will smoke it.........
Old 06-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: slotcsx

Waste of time, been there done that, runs like two boats side by side with one missing left sponson and one missing right sponson connected together. One motor on smaller lighter boat with smoke it.........
Perhaps, but have to admit it's different than most out there and maybe he's going with the..."because I CAN!" way of thinking....keep it up, can't wait to see this thing in action.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
slotcsx

Looks killer,sounds killer, I just never got one to work like that, inline on a bigger prop is the way to go,or if you could overdrive a smaller prop that might be the best way? That also was in about 1980-1991 on kb.67 and .90's, also tried with 23cc zen's(thats what we had). Oh well go for it...Good luck, keep up the pic's also..
Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 PM
jacob711

from some of the videos ive seen the single engine riggers would have a hard time keeping up with twins
Old 06-02-2009, 06:37 AM
sonicracing

Very impressive Scott, I'm sure with your expertise, it will perform the way you expect it too.

Hey Ron, I use to think that but if engineered properly, 2 or even 4 motors aren't a problem.

Waste of time, been there done that.... Maybe you should ask Scott for some tips.

Cheers, Danny.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:41 AM
tborisch

ORIGINAL: sonicracing

Very impressive Scott, I'm sure with your expertise, it will perform the way you expect it too.

Hey Ron, I use to think that but if engineered properly, 2 or even 4 motors aren't a problem.

Waste of time, been there done that.... Maybe you should ask Scott for some tips.

Cheers, Danny.

Well said Mr. Bull. Scott doesn't build anything but bullets.

Tom
Old 06-02-2009, 04:22 PM
slotcsx

I'd love to see that thing flat honk,and did not mean to sound negative, just replying to your question........should have left the wasting time out sorry hope you get it to work. I had problems with one motor unloading and rev city, snapped cables all the time,did not have counter rotation motors or cables back then either.... prop walk alone was the the worst problem,the besti got over a single engine was about 7 mph, straight line hauled butt,tookcorner good until end of turn just keep turning or could dart left dependsif the left or right sponson is in the waterso good luck keep the pic's coming nice looking hull.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Scott Schneider

Ah Ron,
Wheres that sense of adventure ? .... The current gas power plants are so dang reliable, I am not even going to give that a second thought.

As for the nay sayiers,
A single engine gas riggers weights @ 12# RTR of which engine and pipe is @ 5# of it. Current modified engines are near 6 HP.
Simple math then has boat at a 2# per horse power

* Now just widen the tub gaining maybe 1# more weight, then add the 5# of a second power plant . So now we have about a 18# boat with 12 Horse power !! .... The power to weight ratio now is 1 1/2 # per horse power.

With proper set up and ablity to pull Much More Aggressive props than a single would, a twin can and will run like stink doing more than enough to hold it's own next too a single engine boat.

Easier to run ... Not even !
Easier to drive ... Not even !
Easier on pocketbook ... Get real !

The FUN factor ... PRICELESS

**Yes Ron,
A PHM hull that is a hybrid design of Mikes using larger RAPTOR style sponsons with a widened VIPER style tub running 3 shoes under the tail.
The C/L of the struts is going to be @ 1 /1/2" closer together than originally set at in an attempt to get the thrust of each prop closer to hulls center line. Opting to set them so with 70/72mm props the blade tips are within 1/4" of each other.

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I'm on the edge right now so that would surely push me over! Twice the motors, 4 times the hassles.

Is that one of the boats coming out of Mike Coppolino's shop? Those pipes look familiar, I just got one yesterday from Kevin Sheren.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25606.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1210816  
Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Dan S

looking good Scott,

can't wait to see a running Vid.

Dan
Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Actaully, it's a lot more saner than some of the stuff that I've seen on the water. I see in the latest issue of the Roostertail that there is a proposal on the board for a twin gas 'rigger class so you've already got a leg up on the competition.
For the weird or should I say dare to be different boat. There was this guy from Potterville, MI that brought a 3 engined 'rigger to a race in Grand Rapids. What made it stand out was that it had .21 K&B OB's on it, one on the transom and one on each front sponson. It barely made a lap yet had everyone's attention. Needless to say it had a "slight" problem with paddlewheeling. He had also made the heads air-cooled instead of water-cooled which was ahead of K&B with their SS motors. The boat was featured twice in RCBM.

I've got lots of confidence in you Scott as you've helped me out a bunch with getting into gas boats.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 AM
JCAustralia

Scott

Its people like you who make the hobby more interesting

Can't wait to see the vid.....

JC
Old 06-03-2009, 05:59 AM
Squidhead Racing

Great looking ride Scott.

One more thing that hasn't been added to the list:

Twins tend to leave a big hole in the water.........................makes it a little more difficult for a single to get around. (From what I have seen of Nitro Twins vs Singles)

Best of luck with it Scott, I am sure you'll get it to run real nice

Johno
Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 AM
lomcevac540T

Looking good! We have got to see some video of this thing ripping up the water. Can't wait!