Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Port angles

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:19 PM
PEERPSI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port angles

Anyone know what the exhaust and transfer port angles would be on a CC Pro Mod? Port area?

Just looking at this link http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/javapipe_en.htm and trying to understand what would be the best new exhaust for me to buy.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:29 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Port angles

The aerotools program .. is totally obsolete ... not for boatengines.

You have a CC pro-mod ?

Best pipes are the CCracing NO-band/or 1"band , with 1"header , or a QD-hotpipe.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Dan S

like Hendrix said.

peerpsi, I mean no offense what so ever, but I think you are making this harder than it actually is.

another good way to do it, is since you have a CC mod engine, get in touch with them, they will be able to tell you what are the port timings.
Not only that but since its their engine, they will be able to tell you exactly what pipe you should be using with your engine.

Dan.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:06 PM
jacob711

its not really the engine that determines what pipe to use, it more the hull style. cat and rigger use 2" band pipe, mono and hydro use no band pipe, that said though any pipe will work
Old 06-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Dan S

jacob,
you are correct (I knew that) but I forgot to specify/elaborate on that point.

using a CC engine and combining it to a CC pipe, than telling the CC on what kind of hull it will be used for, one would hope that they will know which of their pipes will be the better match for the engine and the hull.

Dan.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:22 PM
PEERPSI

Called CC and they recommended 2" band, spoke to another well known vendor and they recommended zero band. Who do you trust? No one, research and learn what it's about.

Playing with the calculator it appears that RPM is what effects the size and shape the most.

My son turns 3 next month, it's all about why for him. When do adults stop asking why? For me never!

A few have commented that the calculator is obsolete. What's obsolete about it, is math obosolete, 2 stroke engines?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Dan S

peerpsi,

I don't know if the program is obsolete, it looks to be oriented for planes, anyway.

my last pipe on my Cat was a zero band pipe from Sonic racing, after 2 years the pipe broke and the broken part is in 40 or 50 feet of water.

now I run a 1" band 2 stage pipe from Need For Speed.
my friend runs a CC 2" band pipe on a Butch the boat Man 260 Zen in his Cat, which is running pretty nicely.

its all up to you now.

Dan.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 AM
danielplace

No amount of programs and understanding of how pipes work and complete understanding of the theory will ever match actually having expirience with each of the pipes available to us being used with a particular engine and hull type. Real life R&D. The 2" band will usually give you a wider powerband and the sweet spot not be quite as narrow where the zero band once dialed in properly will possibly give more top end HP. But even that isn't written in stone if you can bring together the right combination. Honestly I beleive the CC Powermaster 2" band pipe would be a good choice although myself I prefer either the Insane Dominator or a Hotpipe.

Daniel
Old 06-29-2009, 10:18 AM
PEERPSI

Agreed experience is the best way in the end. However, a little knowledge helps you buy the right hardware for your application.

I've got the CC 2" band on order.