Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

X-Hydro

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:03 AM
3ns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Hydro

Hi everyone.

I am very new to Gas boats. Been running a 29" nitro from the same maker(Arrowshark) for a few months now.
I bought this boat from a local boater, thought it would be better to get a boat that has allready run before
to save me all the hassels.

It has a 26cc CY engine, 2" tuned pipe and a Turn fin from Insane. So what do you guyd think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81945.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1228477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71381.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1228478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72825.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	1228479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47300.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	1228480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq87799.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1228481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul79886.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1228482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl94602.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1228483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr59560.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1228484  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hg71815.jpg
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1228485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tf39288.jpg
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1228486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl56699.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1228487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vf32465.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1228488  
Old 07-02-2009, 05:11 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: X-Hydro

Personalyl id have saved my money[],there looks to be somewhat of a twist in the tub looking from the front?,the strut blade looks to not be straight either?.Another thing i can see that i dont like is the y join for the cooling lines id have gone into the motor out into the header then out into the pipe that way no need for the y joint and your sure the water is going where its needed which is the header first then the pipe..
Mart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30190.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1228489  
Old 07-02-2009, 06:44 AM
3ns

Hi mart.

Tks for the advice. Will re line the tubes as per your drawing. I did get the boat real cheap, so I can do some mods if need to. What is your take on the pipe?

Got the boat just to have the hang of gas boat, maybe in future will look at somthing else.

tks

3ns
Old 07-02-2009, 06:58 AM
martno1fan

The pipe looks ok not sure what the header is made from?,really you want stainless steel or steel if you dont mind rust .Id run it have fun then maybe if the motor runs well swap it into another hull later.Have you tried it yet or not?.Id add a muffler onto that pipe too or it will be very loud,depends where your running as to who you could upset i supose.As regards the cooling setup id think it best to have a continuouis flow through each part of the setup,in the head out into header then out through the pipe,it might be ok how it is but its not how id do it looking at the y piece it splits the water so you might not get much water to the header.Even better is having two cooling lines one seperate for the motor and one for the header and pipe thats what i use but my rudder has two piccups.Looking at your header it doesnt have o rings its sealed up with some kind of gasket compound not sure how good that would work due to the heat .Also add a shaft saver to your flex between motor and tube i use a zip tie trimmed off then if the collet comes loose you wont lose your prop and shaft etc.
Mart
Old 07-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Looks like a "decent" enough boat, especially for your first gasser. You'll learn quite a bit as you do the seemingly required maintenance and minor changes to make it a reliable boat. Congrats on your purchase and please ask away with your questions....
Old 07-02-2009, 09:00 AM
3ns

Hi mart.

Noice would not be a prob cos there is no human traffic ard the pond we play boats now. I get what you mean on the water flow, makes sence. I'll have to learn about the other stuffs as I go along.

Hi dreamin.

Tks. The idea was to gain as much experience I can with this boat before investing on a real demon. And for the price I paid, the hull could be taken as FOC. I'll eventually do some mods on the hardwares and engine if it's worth doing. So hope you guys will help me understand and guide me along. I've seen this boat run before, to a newbi like me it was fast. I did feel it was running abit low at the back thou.

Will run it first and if I can will try and take some pic/videos. As this is all new to me I'll am thinking of running on my own for the first run. It would be safer without other boats as I m still only holding a "L" lience.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:18 AM
jacob711

i know someone with the exact same boat and engine, it actually doesn't run too bad for a china boat and engine, i think it was running around 50mph last time i saw it and it handled ok
Old 07-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Dan S

3ns,

one thing I noticed in pic #8 (left to right), is the length of the flex cable that is exposed from the hull to the engine collet. it looks like 2 to 3 inches, which is way to long, that much cable exposed can create a whip effect and break.
if you get a chance, get yourself a new brass tube same size as the one that is on but longer, all you want is no more than 3/4" of flex cable exposed.

Dan.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:26 AM
3ns

Hi dan.

It's nice to hear from you again. You are right, it's around that range. I was wondering the same but since this is my first gas boat, i thought it's quite normal. The boat has an alu strip on both sides along the bottom, the previous owner told me that it was to make it ride better in choppy waters. The last time I saw this boat running it was quite stable but was too low at the back and sponsoons were too wet.

I realised this boat is not one of those that will break records but, would like to see what it can do with some real good upgrades. I would like to see this boat run on it's prop but I know it takes alot of tuning to get it there (if it ever possible). I checked on the bracket of the strut, it is slightly slanted. I dont know why but my other nitro hydro also has the same problem (same manufacturer).

3ns
Old 07-02-2009, 11:36 AM
martno1fan

Dan is right about the tube,if you can change it easy then do so if not you could sleeve the next size up tubing over it to make up the gap.I know it will be not as tight as the other but it might stop it whipping? just epoxy it in place.If you use a pushrod boot over the end that will stop all the grease going into the boat also,i noticed there seems to be a lot in there?.It wont grip too tight on the flex to cause a problem but will stop the mess.If you want a hydro that will handle chop and run very fast with a good motor id advise having a look at the zippkits rocket kits,i have one and its a simple build and runs really nice.Would be a nice boat to move onto whjen your ready,they will do arround 50 with stock motors and anything over 60 mph witha good modded motor.
Mart
Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
dicko

That red silicon around your header isn't uncommon. I use it on my sports hydro, but I have to strip it back after each days racing, clean it up & put a new layer on. It's good for short bursts of heat, but not for prolonged periods. Part of my post race procedure besides pulling all the props & flex shafts off the boat is to re-do the header on my sports hydro. It depends on your set up as to if you use it or not, by the look of your set up it shouldn't be there & is stopping a leak from a poorly set O-ring.

If you like the sports hydro, a good hull to upgrade to is the Blazer Marine whiplash once you are ready. They have 3 versions, 2 wood eversions & a glass version. When it comes to sports Hydro there is nothing better than a whip. 70+ mph in roundy round race trim & over 80 mph in SAW trim.

Enjoy the boat, learn from it & you will have fun.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:10 PM
3ns

Hi.
Ran the boat. It was fast, too fast for me to handle. I need a couple of lessons to learn how to handle this boat. Got a short video on my mobil, but not sure how to download. Can anyone help?

Tks

3ns
Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
3ns

Hi guys.
Here is a short video of my hydro running. As it was just my second time running a Gas Hydro, I was only on 1/2 throtel.
So let me know what you guys think.

tks

3ns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktBDt7X_s2s
Old 07-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Dan S

Seems to be running good.
if you can for your next video, never mind the music, not that I don't like the music but I like to hear the sound of the engine, that way we can tell you if its running how it should be.

it seems that at the end you encountered some type of problem, radio or something?

Dan.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Indeed - never heard a song I want to hear more than the sound of a motor

1/2 thrtoole you say - Not sure you will see much more speed at full throttle - thats about as fast as I would anticipate seeing her running - she looks to be running well.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Indeed - never heard a song I want to hear more than the sound of a motor

1/2 throttle you say - Not sure you will see much more speed at full throttle - thats about as fast as I would anticipate seeing her running - she looks to be running well.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:55 PM
martno1fan

Runs pretty good but cmon that wasnt half throttle was it ,looks to be what id expect of it at full whack .
Mart
Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 PM
3ns

Yes it was 1/2 throtel. I could not handle it more than that as i was too nervous. To tell you the truth, my legs were shacking while running it. I undersatnd what you guys mean by the sound of engine. The video was done by another boater, will try to take one with the sound of the engine and if i am ready at full throttel. still learning how to handle the boat.

Tks

3ns
Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 AM
martno1fan

Half throttle on the transmitter doesnt allways mean half throttle on the motor you will probably find if you push it all the way the speed wont change much that boat looked flat out to me or very close to it i have to agree with Matt.It looked to be running very well probably at that boats limit.
Mart
Old 07-09-2009, 02:46 AM
dicko

You'll find on a hydro that once it's up & planing, there's not a whole lot of difference in speed between 3/4 throttle & full throttle. In that vid it looked like it was moving out nicely. Full throttle won't be much faster on that hull. It might be a bit more flighty though, one way to find out...open her up.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 PM
3ns

Hi.

Can anyone help me understand the difference between the Headers. I find different headers being used for the same boats. Any difference in proformance or is it just personal preferrance?

Tks

3ns
Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 PM
jacob711

if you mean different header angles like 90,100,105 degree it is just for placement of the pipe, no performance difference except for wtc and deep vee headers which are too long to be tuned correctly
Old 07-17-2009, 11:08 PM
3ns

ORIGINAL: jacob711

if you mean different header angles like 90,100,105 degree it is just for placement of the pipe, no performance difference except for wtc and deep vee headers which are too long to be tuned correctly
Yes, that's what I meant. I thought that a 90 Header whould be better as there is not much curve on it. Thus the flow would be much better and you'll get better performance, guess I was wrong.

Btw, what is wtc? I am sorry for such a stupid question but I'm very new to this.

Tks

3ns
Old 07-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Dan S

3ns,

WTC means Wrap To Center.

Dan.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:25 PM
3ns

Hi Dan.

Tks for the reply.

You guys were rite about the max speed. Ran her yesterday and had a few flip overs but nothing serious. But there was no difference between 1/2 & full throttel. When I pull the trigger full there was no difference in speed or sound of the pipe.

I am wondering if humidity affect these gas engines too? I ask because, the other time I ran, the idel trim on the TX was at 85 and she ran really well. But yesterday the trim had to be at 97. Do we need to keep adjusting the TX settings and needle setting for every run?

Tks

3ns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.