Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

rio 51 cooling problem.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

rio 51 cooling problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:05 AM
lbeach001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rio 51 cooling problem.

i have had my rio for two years and never had a problem with it but have never had a good flow of water threw the cooling system. want to improve it. does anybody have any ideas on how to do that. should i install a nother pickup tube for the water. thanks.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:01 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: rio 51 cooling problem.

What internal diam is your tubing?,you can open up the nipples on your cooling cap on the motor some with a drill,same on header ,pipe etc.You need big bore tubing arround 4 mm int diam.Do you have piccups in the rudder ? if so you can open up those too same way but very carefully.Not familiar with the whole rio setup but these are some ideas you can maybe use.
Mart
Old 07-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Dreamin Hemi

If your stock, than you have only one pickup tube. I suggest adding another somewhere and having that line dedicated to cooling the head, while the factory pick up cools your exhaust. Did that with my Rio's and made a notable difference in the engine temperature once I brought it back to shore. Also I've had my engine head filled with pond scum and all sorts of things that blocked the flow. Perhaps removing the sleeve and just check for debris.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:39 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He should be fine with one piccup asuming he uses big bore lines and opens up the nipples etc.I open all mine up as theyre restricted if you look inside the diam reduces so i drill mine out.
Mart
Old 07-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Bbbutch

I like having two water pick ups on all my boats. But I only have three of them.
I found debris blocking some of the RIO stock parts. Make sure they are clean flow easily.
Here is pick of the second water pick up to my RIO.
Buy another water pick up tube and holder. Cut the end of the holder off and flip it upside down to be mounted on the other side of the rudder support. Buy 3 longer screws and 3 nyloc nuts and flat washers to attach it. I got the screws, nuts and washers at the ACE Hardware in my town.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91205.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1229840   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43348.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1229841