Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Should I Switch to Gas?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Should I Switch to Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Diesel Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Switch to Gas?

Hi

I am new to R/C boating. I bought an Electric Turbo V 3 from Tower Hobbies. Its a great boat. It's a blast to run. BUT..... I did not think I would get so stoked about going faster for longer run times so soon. Should I switch to gas? What would be a good entry level RTR?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2009, 11:00 AM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: Should I Switch to Gas?

this is a good starting point http://9x4br.64n2f.servertrust.com/P...uctCode=SuperG
Old 07-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That's a question that only you can answer. I did electrics boats briefly before moving into nitro. At that time gas boating was in its infancy. Now that I'm nito gas I hardly run my nitro burners anymore.
The initial cost is higher but cheaper in the long run. OK, I really shouldn't say that as people can drop mega-bucks into electric and nitro. Dependability is more of a keyword here.
Next, carefully pick out a boat. When you find something that you like, come back in here and ask for honest opinons on it. We've now got entry level RTR boats coming out the wazoo. Warehouse Hobbies has a pile of them. Pro Boat is getting ready to release yet another one. Think about how much you want to spend initially as you can upgrade later as funds allow. If you've gotten bitten by the go faster bug (who hasn't?) then you'll be upgrading shortly afterwards.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Bbbutch

GO GAS and don't look back!
I had (have) an electric boat. I spent a fortune in batteries just so that I could run for a little while at the lake. Then when you want to go faster the cost of the upgrades are reasonable but the cost of the LOST FUN is not! I was constantly bringing the boat in to check it for overheating on the batteries, motor and ECS. What a pain!!! AND THEN run the boat just a little too long and you smoke the batteries!! One good quaility set of 2 battery packs will run you over $100 and last just 12 minutes on the lake. Then you can wait 20 minutes while you recharge them. That is if they din't fry yet.
I gave the electric boat to my grandson. He went out to the lake with me ONE TIME and used up the battery packs that I hadn't destroyed and then watched me while I ran my gas boat. I haven't been able to get him to take the electric boat out again. He knows it's a drag! He wants to run my gas boat!

As far as the nitro boats go I see a few guys on the gas forum try nitro for a while and then come back to gas. I'm not sure why.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Diesel Power

Hi Guys thanks for the input

I would have to think running gas out weighs the charging, the chargers, the short run times and the discharging. But is electric faster? Would I sacrifice longer run times for speed?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:13 PM
dicko

Eletric can be faster for sure, but you can set up a gas boat to run fast enough to scare you. Once you have a good boat set up you won't want to go back to anything else. I run gas, nitro & electric. The 1st boat I always pack when heading to the pond is a gas boat, then the electric & lastly if i pack it at all is the nitro.