Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

weedy build

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:17 PM
svranger25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weedy build

i am building a deep v "cigarette" boat from scratch (building theframe wrapping it in fiberglass)and have a few questions?
1how do you take the drive shaft for the inside of the boat to the outside without it leaking and without spending a lot of money?
2 how can i build a rudder system cheaply?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: weedy build

Firstly - welcome to the forum

the grease on the flexible drive shaft is usually sufficient to keep water from flowing into the hull - that plus the forward motion of the boat. A stopped boat may have a little water coming into the hull but usually an insignificant quantity. Plus we always use floatation in the hulls to reduce the total amount of water that can enter the hull (say if the boat flipped etc).

Building a rudder system is going to depend on what tools (or friends with tools) you have available (plus your skill to use them - the tools or the friends with tools). A rudder is simple at a glance but can be a little more complex when factors such as possibly running water cooling lines through the rudder blace for a water pick up.
Also the rudder being designed to kick back in the event of a submerged impact will help protect the rudder and keep from damaging the transom of the hull from the impact.

How big a boat were you planning on building. There may be some reasonably priced options available to you also that will integrate the rudder and drive in one assembly.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM
ExpresscraftLisa

expresscraft boats have deep v hulls.hey buddy might not be so painstakeing to start their I just got the VXrockett.you'll still get to build the inside and enjoy painting i I have 2 of them ,tryed the makeing by scratch my self. boy that was a night mare.good luck man
Old 07-11-2009, 12:50 AM
svranger25

so a drive shaft with a tightly fitting tube with grease would keep water out?
does the rudder run off of 1 or 2 servos
or is there another way to do it ( maybe cheaper i am trying to keep cost very low)
Old 07-11-2009, 02:06 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes grease keeps water out,you will need a high torque servo either a 1/4 scale one or a normal sized high torque one something arround 11-13 kg of torque.Get a good quallity 6v hump pack for your setup and you will be fine.The tube needs to be thin walled brass 5/16" internal diam.
Mart
Old 07-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Lil Dave

Why brass, Mart?
Old 07-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Dave, we use brass because it is a soft metal that easily bends to shape. It is also softer than your flex shaft so it won't wear that away.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Lil Dave

I figured for ease of use to conform to your needed shape... I grease every run out and have seen nil for wear on my stainless tubes and flex cables thus far... I was just wondering... Thanks!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 PM
svranger25

if im using two engines is there a problem with not having a rudder and turning with the engines
where can i buy a driveshaft and a tube to go over it and does it need a grease fitting
Old 07-11-2009, 11:22 PM
svranger25

i dont know the specific name of them but are the tabs and fins required to drive the boat
i want to make a fiberglass hull wht are some materials i could make the frame out of

Old 07-12-2009, 04:01 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: Lil Dave

Why brass, Mart?
Its also a bearing material so wont wear out too quick,i have used aluminium before but brass is best unless you plan on using a teflon liner in which case ali is fine.Dave id think using hard metals for tubes would wear out the flex quicker maybe.Svranger to make a glass hull properly you need moulds so you first need a boat to use as a plug then make your mould then the actual boat,more work than you can imagine.If you want to make a scratch boat id advise using plans and plywood theres some very good ones out there and they run really well.Plans are free just ask arround on here,sory i dont have them anymore.
Mart
Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 PM
svranger25

what do you mean by plans? 
like blueprints sorta?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:15 AM
martno1fan

The plans come in a tiled format you just print them and tape them together then cut these parts out and attach to your sheet of plywood then cut them out,there you have a full kit to assemble,its an easy fast build and they run awesome.All you need is some slow setting epoxy usually 3 hr does the job ,some clamps and some tape.
Mart
Old 07-13-2009, 06:10 AM
Dreamin Hemi

svranger, Mart mentioned the work involved in trying to build a fiberglass boat from scratch, believe us, it's no picnic. Much work than you think it is. Irecently built another set of molds for a new hull and posted the progresses. Here is the link...www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8761328/tm.htmRead through that and then tell us if you still want to build out of fiberglass. Not trying to steer you away, just making you aware of what you'll be jumping into. The website in my sig line has a page in it that also shows a different style and method of building a fiberglass hull if your still interested.

Who knows, viewing these "articles" may even encourage you since Ishow all the steps. If you do want to try it, rest assured you'll have full support of myself as well as many members here that have done the same or have similar experiences.

PM me your email address and I'll send you an e-book that shows how to build hull in fiberglass as a "one-off" if interested. Anybody else for that matter as well. Just need to get my laptop back, as Ihad hard drive issues that are currently being repaired.