Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Up in smoke!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Up in smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 PM
bullboy8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up in smoke!

Bought my new Futaba 3PM Thursday. Installed it today, and the damn reciever goes up in smoke!!!!!!!!!!!???????????? used a 4.8v 4AA holder battery supply. Anyone had this happen before??? And has anyone had any luck with Futaba tech support?[:@][][:@][][:@][][:@][][:@][][:@][]-Edmond
Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: Up in smoke!

Have had good services from Futaba myself. Dropped one of their high end radios (I also flew giant scale planes) and sent it to them to test out. Had it back in a week repaired. Found an output that wasn't within spec and it was replaced at NOCHARGE even after I told them what I did.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Paul M

Fasst runs on 6 volts. the 4.8 didn't casue your meltdown but you need to run 6 volts.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 PM
danielplace

You were using a battery holder with a fullsize connector that prevents reverse polarity by accident. All DC powered electronics will fry instantly if the polarity is reversed.
4 X 1.5 volt dry cells will work but Nicad or NiMh will require 5 cells to get the required 6 volts the Fasst receivers must have. If it even is a fasst system as the 3pm is also made in FM. I would still run it on 6 volt either way. Make sure you don't have a servo connected with a dead short in it or you might fry the next new one. Do the troubleshooting before you connect another. They don't do that too often for no reason. The switch wasn't altered and the wires reversed? Just trying to help you with some things to check.

Daniel
Old 07-10-2009, 10:58 PM
bullboy8

used futabo switch so no way of reversing, got 6v sticks but just used the 4 pack to test before install. put my JR reciever in it with servos and checked out. checked polarity anyway all checked good. I don't know what to say.. I think I got a dud! I'll call Futaba on monday.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Paul M

Good luck. Please keep us posted. This kind of thing can happen to anyone.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:27 PM
bullboy8

Thanks Paul, I bought a new reciever today because I need one for tomorrow to run my new woody build. If they give me a new one (which I would think they should) I'll have another one for my other boat Never the less $90.00 reciever is something I don't want to buy every so often. -Edmond