Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Rio cavatation

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Rio cavatation

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:36 AM
wildman51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rio cavatation

Hello all got the Rio back up and running with a m5 zen and clutch this was the first time me and my son enjoyed this boat it ran great started great the only issue Im having is a lot of cavatation when the boat takes off you can baby it till it gets on plane then she is a beast Ive checked the clutch and theres no slippage also tried the prop angle with no help I think that with the extra weight of the zen and clutch plus the added power of the zen that the stock prop is to small any thoughts would be great also I read on the forum somewhere about the Rio's CG cant seem to find it now anybody know what it might be or what post its in .thanks guys
Old 07-12-2009, 08:16 AM
tripoli
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Rio cavatation

Wildman,
I checked my RIO's COG before I replaced the fuji with a Sikk/CY26 and clutch. The COG was at 17 1/2" from the rear of the boat at the edge of the transom lip. When I installed the CY26 and clutch I left the GOG unchanged. My problem now is that with the added power of the CY26 my RIO tends to nose up and flip at full throttle. I was thinking that the COG needs to move forward to compensate. I have adjusted the strut angle with little effect on the nose up problem bt the strut angle did cause cavitation. I am not running the stock prop, I am running an Octura X472.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 AM
wildman51

have you tried your trim tabs bend them down a bit make sure they are the same my cg looks to be about 16 1/2" from the rear of the transom I think that my added weight the prop blows out if you gun it you have to wait till it plains before you gan go full throttle Ive noticed on other boats that they do like a real boat and squat down in the rear and jump on plane reay fast with out cavitation any thoughts thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Bbbutch

If you are running that two bladed prop switch to a three blade.
Try the Grimracer 65X105.
Octura X470
ABC 2814
And DON"T FORGET to BALANCE IT!
From a near stop with a clutched boat and then gas it hard I would think that any prop would cavitate a lot.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
twindaddy66

Wildman,

On mine, I am running the CY26 (Sikk) with a clutch.
With stock prop and strut angle, there is enough cavitation for everyone...it sucks BAD!
I tried an aluminum two blade from WHH Tony said was pretty good. And, of course it was better on cavitaion, but it still had alot more than I wanted.

I then tried the three blade aluminum from WHH, and bingo, no cavitation and a nice hole shot. I also had the best top speed with this prop (40.6mph, and not tuned). I'll be posting results of my vacation trials in another post.

Tripoli, try using an IV bag in front of the engine. You should be fine with a full 500ml bag, but a full 1000ml bag causes the bow to dig in the corners.

I tried minor strut angle adjustments but wound up back at level.

Cheers,

T-Daddy
Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
wildman51

hey T-Daddy do you have a part number good to hear from ya how has been going with your Rio I finally bit the bullet and called Tony @ WHH he hooked me up super great guy thanks T-Daddy
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 PM
twindaddy66

wildman, check this out..... [link]http://9x4br.64n2f.servertrust.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=37[/link]

they are RMB 70mm aluminum 3 blade, and RMB 75mm aluminum (2 blade)

Like I said, the 2 blade was somewhat better than the stock AQ prop, but it still had cavitation, and the 3 blade performed quite well in my opinion, cavitation was not noticable.

I ran the Rio almost daily for 2 weeks and was very pleased. I couldn't get it dialed in quite where it should be, but that is my mechanical limitations, not the boat...LOL.

Once I get everything downloaded and edited, I will be posting an update on everything. I did get a short video, but I'm having trouble getting it converted.

T-Daddy
Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 PM
apache 56

hi guy i dont have a rio but i run apache 56 . i find a gret prop to use is the abc 2714 or 2814. but i dont run cluch . i just dont like them .but
every one is diffrent on that ..i do like to let the motor unload . and these props seem to do just that....

its all good fun..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cA512PMyYY[/youtube]
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM
wildman51

thanks guys for the info ran the rio again today ran very well seemed a little faster to day ran a full tank kinda a little to long of a run think I will start putting in a half of a tank .lol Im gonna call tony and order the 3 blade to keep the cavatation down not a real problem for me but my son has a hard time with it but he is learning he likes to do small circles and then hit the waves me I like to run long and fast the boat really performs when you burn off some fuel say about 3/4 of a tank the boat comes alive hey T-daddy is the 3 blade balanced thanks again guys.wild
Old 07-15-2009, 11:05 AM
twindaddy66

It was close, but still needed balance/polish. The two blade was WAY off...but balanced out nicely. Good shine to em too, when polished up.

T-Daddy