Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

P1 Class stepped mono??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

P1 Class stepped mono??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:45 PM
lewisdf4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 Class stepped mono??

Hi guys, I am thinking of starting a new build. I would like to build a P1 class offshore mono, similar to the ones picured. I dont want an exact replica or anything just something that looks close. I will use dougs 48" mono plans as a base and modify them to suit cosmeticly without changing the running surface of the boat or adding extra weight. I will build it at 45 inches the same as the one I have just finished but this one will have a mod zen power plant. My question is, is it be wise to try and include the steps in the hull like the real boats or will it ruin what is already a great hull? Thanks in advance,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20716.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1237608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51906.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1237609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18116.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	1237610  
Old 07-16-2009, 04:49 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: P1 Class stepped mono??

I think adding the steps would be very difficult only way to do it would be to do it from scratch not to just stick something onto the existing hull,if it were me id make a plug then mould and do it that way,lots of work but the best way id think,unless you used maybe balsa to keep it light and then glass over it?.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:58 PM
martno1fan

Forgot to say beautifull boat i wish you luck mate,if it works it will be a stunner.
Mart
Old 07-16-2009, 05:17 PM
MrMikeG

There are not a lot of "Stepped Vee" hulls in scale models that work really well. The CG is a lot more critical as they usually pivot for the turn right on one of the steps.

BTW, there is no such thing as a "Stepped Mono" Ether it is a Mono (one running surface) or it is classed as a Hydro (more than one running surface). [:@]
Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 PM
lewisdf4

Thanks Mart for the help, but I think I will just keep the bottom of the hull as is and rework the looks from the sides up only. One of my skills is absolutley f - ing up anything I try to glass, the only thing I can manage is stringers and internal joints cos you can't see 'em I should be able to get it looking very close to the first pic and I am going to paint it in the same scheme.

Thanks Mike, handy to know. I didn't know any other way to word it so stepped mono it was What do the steps do? I'm guessing they introduce air into the planing surface to lessen friction at speed? Thanks again for your help guys
Cheers, Chris.

Oh, and it won't be built at a reduced size, 48 inches it is. I want to try and get the pipe inside the hull. Also if I keep the length and reduce the width slightly, will the angle of the V become to sharp? Thanks!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:22 PM
lewisdf4

Basicaly something like this. Keep the sides high through to the last little bit at the back, build a canopy for it and keep the sides high a bit further foward than the original. As I said it won't be a scale replica, but it will hopefully be fairly similar. Has anyone put a pipe on the inside of this hull? I'm off to printflow to have the plans printed now so I can sit down and modify them, hopefully I'll have a good start on this through the week. Tax return is due back as well so I hope to be ordering a zen for it over the next few days. Damn this is the most addictive hobby
Cheers, Chris

Name:	Li21214.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	1237749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55077.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1237750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72274.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	1237751  
Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 PM
jacob711

i had a pipe in my "48" woody", as long as the sides are higher than the original plans it will fit, your drawings look about right

also instead of a zen get an rcmk, only cost about $40 more and plenty more power

i should be a very nice looking boat when done
Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 AM
lewisdf4

does anyone know of an aussie supplier for the RCMK? All I can find are zens and SIKK. Thanks Jacob, good to know you can get a pipe inside.
Cheers, Chris
Old 07-17-2009, 01:02 AM
jacob711

i haven't heard of anyone in aus selling the rcmk's but its easy enough to get one from usa, and will end up cheaper than buying one here, also usually only takes a week to get here

one here only problem is they're out of stock atm
http://www.gizmomotors.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=56
Old 07-17-2009, 02:11 AM
martno1fan

That looks nice Chris may i suggest that you also raise the nose a bit more to ressemble the boat your copying?,less of a slope i mean.Apart from that it looks very close,cant wait to see how it turns out.Im planning to remodel one from these plans to come up with a new hull to mould off.If you make her narrower the vee wont change but it might help stop blow overs which this design can suffer from,thats basicly why Doug came out with the newer version its narrower.Maybe that set of plans would be abetter option to start with?,plus only Doug that i know of has actually built that one so far.
Mart
for the rcmk try the orriginal suppliers in Korea
[link]http://cart.rcmk.com/zen/[/link]
Old 07-17-2009, 02:21 AM
lewisdf4

WOW!!! Definetly going with the RCMK engine, that looks sweet! I thought i'd leave the slope over the front to get a bit more downforce over the front?? Not sure if i'm on the right track, but it would look better if I kept it running staight through like the real one. Are doug's new plans available to download anywhere? Thanks for the coments guys,
Cheers, Chris
Old 07-17-2009, 03:07 AM
martno1fan

Chris you def want some down angle on the top for the downforce,just maybe not that much.If you look at the p1 it does have some down angle on it just not as much as yours.It might be better to keep it as is though as you say its just if you wanted it to resemble the real one more i was thinking flatten it a little.I might have a set of those plans send me your email mate ill send em over.Those rcmk motors do look nice dont they,ive not ran one yet but i fitted my mates into the t boat i built and it does look beefy and very well made.
By the way if you ever use glass go with cloth and resin not matting its simple really as it stretches enough to go over contours like strakes etc.You could easy cover that hull with it in one piece for top one for bottom one for transom.Ive wrapped balsa boats with it a few times and it goes on nice and smooth the trick is not too much resin but enough to get a smooth finnish then wet sand till its smoother.
Mart
Old 07-17-2009, 06:25 AM
stoddy

mhz skater hull

Name:	Us53460.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1238081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22165.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1238082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq36144.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1238083  
Old 07-17-2009, 07:25 AM
martno1fan

Is that the one selling on ebay Stoddy didnt realise it was yours,nice hulls bit pricey for me or id have it .Nice epoxy hulls though luv the looks .
Mart
Old 07-17-2009, 07:35 AM
stoddy

yea bought that and the kiton but to be honest got to much on so thought i'd sell that keep the kiton

there like women nice to look at with there sleek curves, you spend all your money on them, play with them
then get rid and get another one
Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 AM
martno1fan

Lol are we talking about the women or the boats or both
Mart
Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 AM
stoddy

just the boats
although she does moan when i put them on the dining room table when i painted them
Old 07-17-2009, 07:57 AM
martno1fan

I usually move mine off the work bench err i mean breakfast bar before she gets home .Looking at that skater hull it looks a dead ringer for the one Chris wants to do.
Mart
Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 PM
stoddy

yes i think its scale taken from that boat.
thats the same colours i was going to use the one painted by toad. another time perhaps but i would like
a larger mono.
but just got to get some of the other stuff out of the way just finished clear coating customers ct04 today
quick wet flat and polish build it back up .then hopefully get my ppb skater finished

Name:	Yw68510.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1238281  
Old 07-17-2009, 02:56 PM
brodjack

Lookin' good Tony,presume thats Adrians cat? nice shine.
Reckon his is goin' to hit the water before mine now[X(]
Brod..
Old 07-18-2009, 12:00 AM
stoddy

still a lot of work yet brod plus waiting on parts from anodisers and chroming .
Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 PM
dicko

does anyone know of an aussie supplier for the RCMK? All I can find are zens and SIKK. Thanks Jacob, good to know you can get a pipe inside.
Cheers, Chris
Dale at Adelaide Model Boat Centre is the Aussie importer for RCMK.

http://www.adelaidemodelboatcentre.com/

He has some engines coming in soon if they haven't arrived already.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:13 PM
lewisdf4

Hey guys sorry been away for a while. Thanks Dicko, I emailed RCMK direct and can get one landed here for 311.10 USD. At the current exchange rate thats only $390 odd AUD!! Bargain compared to a stock zen, cheapest I found was about $350AUD with freight from Sydney. RCMK have the S254 EVO ready to ship. They also sent me a dyno print, 2lb of tourque, 5.03 HP and 22,000 rpm! Their test hull is a Zenith deep V, on an Octura 1475 modified they claim top speed of 94.8km/h!!!! On a stock engine!! Realistic?? I will be placing an order for 2 engines this wednesday and have begun constructing the hull, but it won't be a quick build, I want everything to be spot on with this one. No more home made mounts [] I really want this one to turn out smick, so I will be investing as much time in it as I can. Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you posted.
Cheers, Chris

Name:	Gd93872.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1242553  
Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 PM
bullboy8

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

That looks nice Chris may i suggest that you also raise the nose a bit more to ressemble the boat your copying?,less of a slope i mean.Apart from that it looks very close,cant wait to see how it turns out.Im planning to remodel one from these plans to come up with a new hull to mould off.If you make her narrower the vee wont change but it might help stop blow overs which this design can suffer from,thats basicly why Doug came out with the newer version its narrower.Maybe that set of plans would be abetter option to start with?,plus only Doug that i know of has actually built that one so far.
Mart
for the rcmk try the orriginal suppliers in Korea
[link]http://cart.rcmk.com/zen/[/link]
Hey Mart! I don't know if you know but I built Doug's second version as well And it's a hell of a nice hull. I put my own touch on the bottom for strakes and boy does she bite back (in a good way). -Ed
Old 07-24-2009, 03:41 AM
jacob711

is that $390 for an evo s254

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.