Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

80" size vee hull

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

80" size vee hull

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:21 PM
vpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80" size vee hull

Im trying to make an rc boat but im going to use a 49cc engine and need directions on how to make a mold for a 80" size deep vee hull

please post[]
Old 07-18-2009, 08:38 PM
sikR31

Default RE: 80

im about 3/4 the way though buidling a mould for 65" deep v. i used dwr9's (doug) plans just ask him to email them. or search the forums for other plans.im using the woody plans to make a male mould to run off a glass hull... is easy
Old 07-18-2009, 08:47 PM
vpower

thanks but i need a 8o"size deep vee this engine is really[] big do u know a web site that has how to make a molde for a 8o"size deep vee[]
Old 07-18-2009, 09:04 PM
sikR31

if you take the plans to a printshop they will be able to scale them up or down. thats what i did for mine. ( although the nose of the boat wouldnt fit together when i built it so ive fabricated one with body filler...) oh what fun
Old 07-18-2009, 09:20 PM
vpower

can u give me the plans pleasepleasepleasethank u
Old 07-18-2009, 09:33 PM
vpower

ORIGINAL: sikR31

if you take the plans to a printshop they will be able to scale them up or down. thats what i did for mine. ( although the nose of the boat wouldnt fit together when i built it so ive fabricated one with body filler...) oh what fun
can u give me the plans i really want to finish this boat thank u
Old 07-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Dreamin Hemi

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7292440/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8761328/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

www.firststatecomposites.com/howitsdone_.html

The first link will take you to a plug and mold build of the same boat you are getting ready to tackle in a 50" version. The second is another mold build but of a different technique. Both are boats that could be reproduced again and again. The last link is a step by step guide to how I build the actual fiberglass hulls from these molds....at least the deep V. Hope you have some time on your hands .

Welcome to RCU!
Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 PM
sikR31

dreamin hemi is the master
follow his plans= no worries
Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 PM
sikR31

just curious.. what engine are you using exactly?I know you said its a 49cc but is it air cooled/ water cooled?Is it out of a minimoto? in my hull i stuck my weedy motor in there to get an idea how it would fit i still had plenty of real estate. the motor had shrouds and all on it. im planning on using a polini clone from aBANSHEE SHOpocket bike. i did some research on pocketbike forums and apparently they are a pretty reliable and powerful motor for a chinese clone.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:03 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sikR31

im about 3/4 the way though buidling a mould for 65'' deep v. i used dwr9's (doug) plans just ask him to email them. or search the forums for other plans. im using the woody plans to make a male mould to run off a glass hull... is easy
That last bit of your reply is a corker ITS EASY lmao yea right ,having built two moulds for 2 different boats i can safeley say the last words id utter are its easy [X(].Its expensive and time consuming and if your intending to do it as a one off its not worth the cost and way cheaper to go buy a hull.If you intend to sell some then its worth every penny but then you need to make them almost perfect or no one will want them so no its not easy far from it.I spent months researching how to do it and talked to several people who have done it,Tony at WHHOBIES ,Scott above to name just two.My first moulds were not perfect and did need some work,the resulting boats from them came out pretty good but not perfect.I dont claim to be an expert buti think i can now safeley say my work is pretty dam good,EASY not in the slightest .Im still learning and im sure Scott will say the same each and every build is different and has its own problems so its a learning process all the time.
Mart
Old 07-19-2009, 05:37 AM
Dreamin Hemi

I suppose you're not very clear on your intentions with this project. Do you just want a big boat for yourself, or are you planning on offering these to the public?

Easy, sort of...if you've done this before. I come from a strong autobody and fiberglass repair backgroud so these boats may be a little easier for me, however they do take LOTS of time. Making a perfectly smooth and lump/bump free plug is only the beginning. Molding and proper mold prep is what separates the men from the boys. Good quality molds are heavy, well constructed with a MIRROR finish and will last for years of use. Nobody wants to buy a boat that has imperfections in it. Block sanded and hours of polishing are the only way to make them worth building from. Even light scratches in a mold will transfer to the part. If you have to do more work to a completed hull AFTER it comes out of the mold, you didn't spend enough time on either your plug finishing or your mold prep. Any part should come out looking like it's going to look for the customer, otherwise you're just creating more unnecessary work for yourself. I do have one mold that has light scratches in the gelcoat, but I don't care since I paint prep that particular hull due to the seamless design anyway so it dosent matter. The other one, yeah, flawless finishes from the mold direct to the buyer.

Why an I saying all this? Because of the size of what you're about to tackle. I know how much building time Ihave in these molds and the seemingly countless hours preparing the molds to get them right. 80" is huge, and will require LOTS of time and a decent amount of cost associated with it. Several members here such as Dana and Mart that build hulls themselves also will back this up. Not trying to scare you about this, just would have to have a project go by the way side because somebody didn't realize the amount of work and time required.

On the other hand, I'm a teacher. I teach students HOWto do this and give them the same speech. It tends to give them that "I CAN TO do that!" attitude and they tackle it with excitement, especially when it comes to the end. I wish you luck with your research into this project and I only hope share your expereinces with it here in the forums. Don't think anybody has made any 80" build threads yet!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:12 AM
sikR31

haha yeah my stupid. what i should have said was easy concept - hair pulling out reality...
my nose cone pieces didnt meet up and ive had to build the nose out of bog.. fun..
Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 AM
vpower

its an air coold but im going to make it water cooled and yes it came frome a minimoto
Old 07-19-2009, 06:58 AM
vpower

thanks fr to plans
Old 07-19-2009, 07:11 AM
vpower

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_72..._1/key_/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_87..._1/key_/tm.htm

www.firststatecomposites.com/howitsdone_.html

The first link will take you to a plug and mold build of the same boat you are getting ready to tackle in a 50'' version. The second is another mold build but of a different technique. Both are boats that could be reproduced again and again. The last link is a step by step guide to how I build the actual fiberglass hulls from these molds....at least the deep V. Hope you have some time on your hands [img][/img].

Welcome to RCU!
can you five me plans on how to make a 8o"size deep v and those forums did not help at all thanks any way
Old 07-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: vpower

Im trying to make an rc boat but im going to use a 49cc engine and need directions on how to make a mold for a 80" size deep vee hull

please post[]
Um, fairly sure Iread your 1'st correctly and you were asking how to make a mold. Hull type is the same, and the size is close enough that construction techniques are the same. Not sure how it didn't help at all, but just trying to help make your project an easy one.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:25 AM
vpower

i wanted plans for a mold sorry for the misunderstanding
Old 07-19-2009, 07:35 AM
jacob711

no such thing, you need to build a wood boat from plans
Old 07-19-2009, 07:38 AM
vpower

ORIGINAL: jacob711

no such thing, you need to build a wood boat from plans
i dont get what your saying
Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 AM
jacob711

there are no plans for a mold

if you just want one boat the best way to build it is to download plans then print them the size you want out onto paper and trace the patterns onto plywood (approx 1/8" and 1/4" thickness) and cut it out and assemble the boat, starting with the frames and then the skins, using epoxy to bond it together and fiberglass tape on some crucial joins, when done seal wood with epoxy and then paint boat then your done

there is no need to build a mold and make the hull out of fibreglass, it is much easier and cheaper to build a hull from wood unless you are making multiple hulls then fiberglass is the way to do it
Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 AM
vpower

were do i download the plans
Old 07-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Dreamin Hemi

OK, I'll play one last time......

There are NO specific "plans" on HOWTOMAKEAMOLD, only explanations and instructions. However there ARE plans available for building a mono hull. The plans only give you a parts cut out drawingsm however NO directions on how to assemble it. There are multiple build threads here in RCU that many different members have made that will show you how to do it......if that's what you're asking for.

***edit*** Ah Jake, you already beat me to it! Suppose I just can't type as fast as you do!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 AM
vpower

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

OK, I'll play one last time......

There are NO specific ''plans'' on HOW TO MAKE A MOLD, only explanations and instructions. However there ARE plans available for building a mono hull. The plans only give you a parts cut out drawingsm however NO directions on how to assemble it. There are multiple build threads here in RCU that many different members have made that will show you how to do it......if that's what you're asking for.

***edit*** Ah Jake, you already beat me to it! Suppose I just can't type as fast as you do!

then give me those plans for the mono hull
Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 AM
vpower

please
Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 AM
vpower

and yes what you said was right that is what i wanted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.