Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

A thank you ro Toofat,Cheeszz mart and the rest

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

A thank you ro Toofat,Cheeszz mart and the rest

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 AM
jworm49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A thank you ro Toofat,Cheeszz mart and the rest

Thanks for all the help guys, and to TooFat I think I have made up my mind. I'm gonna get a hull from WHH. Now I just need to decide will it be the Team Pro or the Mag 57. Maybe the Manta Ray would be a good compromise. I finally got to run my boat today so I though I would share. I had ran it twice before this for a total of about five minutes. The first time resulted in a light crash I found out the hard way that I had limited steering. (the rudder doesn't move very far in either direction). After that I figured that I should spend some more time trying to get the boat working properly before I ran again. So last night I played with the rudder some more and got it to go a little further in both directions. So I'm at the river gassed up and ready. After a few pulls she fires up and I set the trim on the radio so she's not idling so fast and toss her into the water. I have no clutch so I just let it cruise around on idle for a bit and the steering seemed a little better still not were it should be but better. I slowly rolled on the gas but if I hit full throttle the motor would speed up and the boat would slow down. So I backed off some and just circled for a while. She seemed to be running well for the most part with some chine walking here and there assuming I'm correct in knowing what that is. I didn't want to push it so I brought her in staled it from the radio and put her onto the stand. OK now the bad stuff I noticed some hissing from the motor so I dropped a little water on the head and it boiled off. I'm assuming this is not good. Also the pin holding in the rudder had almost worked it self out and the flex shaft was very loose. So I blew water through the lines (had to blow quite hard but the water did go all the way through). Tightened up the flex shaft and let the head get cool enough to leave my hand on it for a few seconds then sent her back out. fist pass buy I could see that the water form the outlets was barely trickling out so I shut her down. I figure the pick ups in the rudder just aren't working. I say this because I had to replace the rudder after my cash. The original rudder's pickups seemed to work fine. So this whole thing has been quite an experience so far. But I think my next step will be to get my new hull and build her up the right way I hope. For any other newbies out there be careful on Ebay know what you are buying!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:50 AM
jworm49

Default RE: A thank you ro Toofat,Cheeszz mart and the rest

Hey sorry for the type o"s guys past my bed time.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:44 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi mate did you blow through the rudder to check its not blocked in there? another thing you can do is open up the piccups a bit with a 1/8 drill bit just becarefull you dont snap it off in there [X(],also the nipples in the head of the cooling jacket can be drilled out the same,if you look insided theres sometimes a rim that does restrict water flow a little so you can drill that out too.Look forward to seeing your new boat whichever one you go with,my choice would be the magnum ive heard it will handle anything .
Mart
Old 07-19-2009, 11:20 AM
jworm49

Thanks mart I will try blowing through the rudder but I think I may be to nervous to try the drill. But I don't know I'm sure I could do it OK. Thanks for the tip so far that's one vote for the Mag 57.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 AM
cheesewizz69

Which ever boat you get from Tony you will be very pleased with the construction, performance and support.

If you are realy looking for rough water performance get the Magnum 57 on flat days it will be as T00fat says "a bit like driving a passanger car" I am guessing he is trying to say its on boring side. The other two hulls do not work very well in chop over 4". Both the SG and TP will perform about the same in the rough and will require a bit more skill to keep running in heavy chop. However on glass and light chop they are fantastic boats.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10645.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1239871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24219.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1239872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93757.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1239873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26000.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1239874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89988.jpg
Views:	12
ID:	1239875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rh67694.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1239876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac62876.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1239877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr60958.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1239878  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr20890.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1239879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd32704.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1239880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye30532.jpg
Views:	29
ID:	1239881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xh39422.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1239882  
Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 PM
t00fatt

Man if water hit the water jacket and it sizzled, it must have been well over 200f. And if you can't easily blow through the lines you've definitely got a clog somewhere, should flow nice and easy. I would not run the boat again until you figure your cooling problems out, sounds like your motor wasn't getting much water at all. Maybe post a picture of your current cooling setup so we can see if you have an obvious problems, you never know.

Like cheesewizz said, if you plan on playing somewhere that is usually glassy calm, the magnum can get a bit boring. If you don't have a good 3"-4" chop going you can just hold down the throttle and never have to let off, and just drive her around. While that's great for a beginner it can get boring without some chop. So like I said before which hull you choose really depends where you plan on running, if you plan on always running somewhere big that usually has some nice chop, go with the magnum. If you plan on playing in a small lake, than I would stick with a gator or team pro, as they are both the same hull just different decks. Now if you plan on running in different places that could be glassy or choppy I would look at either compromising for a hull in the middle, or get two boats. The man-o-war is another nice one, never seen one in person but I have read good things online. It won't handle the chop like the magnum, but will be more fun on some glassy water. Personally I think having two boats is the way to go, having one that is perfect for different situations. I love my silex and magnum combination, if I could get my dang range issues solved on the silex...

EDIT: LOL Man Leo all those pics make it look like I have the magnum trimmed really wet. She can get pretty loose, but you have to kick the rudders pretty far back and bring the strut pretty high.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47927.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1239939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53608.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1239940  
Old 07-19-2009, 04:27 PM
jworm49

Thanks for the pics guys, Maybe I'll try to get some pics up of my set up. I put the old rudder on today and the cooling was a little better but I think I'm done running her for now I spun her out to day and lost my hatch. I don't know if I can find a replacement or not, sucks but I am getting a new hull anyway. I think the Mag 57 is the better choice for me I am a beginner and can't afford two boats. Also I'm sure it will be fast enough for me for a while. Plus if I hope up the motor I figure this hull will handle that better than the TP might at least for my skill level. Thanks you guys I would be lost with out this site, also I emailed WHH asking them about the hull and getting it pre drilled for what ever hardware that they recommend.

P.S both boats look great I think I want the white gel coat but the yellow looks really nice too.