Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

How to get started in racing

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

How to get started in racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
pcg33k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get started in racing

Does anybody here race their boats? How do you get started in racing your boat? I'm thinking of racing mine but not sure how to go about it. There are a couple of boat clubs in my area but they are nitro boats and I want to race my gas boat. Do you need to join a club to race your boat?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 PM
arrowshark
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How to get started in racing

you need to join NAMBA once joind you can find what district you will be in and what class you will race in along with sponsored clubs in your area.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 PM
pcg33k

Thanks I'll check namba's site for rules and fees.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Canadian LoCo

there is also IMPBA you can look into.
LINK http://www.impba.net/
Old 07-22-2009, 10:20 PM
BMAD01

I moved to Colorado 12 years ago. (I moved from Aurora, Ill.[X(]) I ran my Gas boats by myself for a few years. There are 2 NAMBA clubs out here that run mostly nitro and I got to know them all. A couple of the guys had Gas boats, so they were the guys I hung around with. It only takes 3 boats to create a class and we had it. I raced and spanked these guys for 2 years without being a club member. You only need to be a member of NAMBA or IMPBA to race. I am now a member of R3M (Rocky Mountain Marine Modelers) and race these guys and others all the time. As time went by more of the guys saw how nice a Gas boat really are and built their own. We now have Open Gas Mono, Open Gas Cat, and Open Gas Hydro! Get to know the guys in the clubs around you, making Gas converts is not all that hard when they see how easy the Gas boats run. Good luck Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14239.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1242001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29132.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1242002  
Old 07-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Lotza luck in Illinois as they really like their nitro boats. Most if not all clubs are in IMPBA District 4. I did race once at a site near Aurora over at the Silver Springs State Park in the Fox Valley but they got closed down.
No, you don't have to join a club but you do have to be a member of a sanctioning body in order to compete.
I'd find a race near you then just go watch how everything is done before trying it yourself. You've got some very good people and some of the best racers in the country around you.
Joining a club does help as you can get on the water to practice running in traffic and get the basics of what it takes to race. You'll also find out what you have to pack for an event. If hitting a race to watch, talk to the boaters as usually we're a friendly bunch so don't be shy.

In September, over in Hobart, IN there will be the Indy Hydro Masters race if you want to see some of the best of the best. I'm planning on being there for at least 2 days as a spectator. Over $12,000.00 (!!!!) in prizes. Entries were filled months ago. If you decide to come, look me up and I'll introduce you to a lot of the racers.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 AM
pcg33k

Thanks for the info I did get a chance to go to a race a few weeks ago at the naperville high school. I meet with one of the members from the Illini club his name was James and was very cool telling me how the race is run and the different classes. he also took me around and showed me the other boaters boats. unfortunately it was windy that day so the boats weren't run ning that fast except the monos which were running really well in the chop. there's a race coming up in oak forest which I hope to attend.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Ron Olson

I've been there too but the last time was way back in 2000 when I raced at the Ultimate 21 Shoot-Out. That was one windy day with winds hitting hard coming in from the west. I didn't do so hot, I could have saved time and just thrown the boat in upside down. The Open class is your best bet to run your gasser.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM
pcg33k

Thats funny so many of the hydros ended up upside down that day. [:@]
Old 07-23-2009, 06:28 PM
BMAD01

Boat racing at Naperville High???[X(][X(] I graduated from Naperville Central High in 1972! They musta built a new High school since I left. Wait a minite! There used to be a small quarry across the street from the school. My grandmother used to tell me that gangsters used it to dump getaway cars in. Way back when yano... LOL Brian
Old 07-24-2009, 11:15 PM
noahdear
My Feedback: (2)

Trust you Yankees to have two governing bodies for the same sport. IMPBA & MAMBA, just like CART & IRL
Old 07-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Ron Olson

As far as I know, you only have the AMPBA. You didn't know about the other sanctioning bodies either like the RC division of the APBA and "splinter" groups like RC Unlimited. We like to have a choice unlike NASCAR but we won't get into the CART/IRL thing, that's a mess.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Actually Ron, R/C Unlimiteds (if you're talking about the scale club in Washington) is affiliated with the APBA while Unlimiteds NW and Northwet Roostertails are NAMBA clubs. I think you need to retire and move out here where we keep things simple