Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Razor 45 build. BUT ill be asking for lots of advice. :)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Razor 45 build. BUT ill be asking for lots of advice. :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 05:23 PM
2.0racer
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Razor 45 build. BUT ill be asking for lots of advice. :)

I think besides the radio box and servo ive got everything I need for this build. But I have no clue were to go from here.

The boat is a AC Models Boat called the Razor 45... First off im having a troubled time mounting the motor mounts. Im not to sure where they go. Anyone have any clue? How many inchs, from the rear of the boat should be the back end of my mount??

Ill post picture through this Build

... Im already getting fusterated with this prodject. I dont know anything about boats on the scale.i should have stuck to another offroad gasser. or got more touring car racing stuff. but ohwell im here now. There is a collection of 2000$ into this build now. just in getting materials.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:39 PM
MrMikeG

Default RE: Razor 45 build. BUT ill be asking for lots of advice. :)

You got the set-up sheets right there, just follow them to the T and you will have a good boat. You can't measure someone else's engine and put yours the same, you need to go by the CENTER OF GRAVITY. Start by putting your hardware on, then mount your radio box, then mount your pipe to the engine, place it in the boat with the mounts on, balance your boat, mark the mount holes and drill your rails. I think your front mount (on the pull start end) is backwards too.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:59 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all welcome to the forum second congrats on buying one of the best monos arround,ive long wanted one unfortunateley shipping to my side of the pond is ridiculous [].As Mike says follow the build sheet and you wont go far wrong.Beautifull boat enjoy the build trust me once you have run one of these ,cars will be a distant memory .
Mart
Old 08-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Another welcome from me. Great boat you have there! Looks as though your selection of hardware is some of the best in the business. You certantly have come to the right place to get help during assembly. I know it looks like a lot of work right now, but you will be suprised at how fast thoes parts make it into the hull. There are a few build threads for monos on here. I did one last year on one of the hulls I offer and again just recently on another one I started to carry. Both threads show good step by step assembly. I'm sure you would be able to pick out a few details that will work for your hull. The first link uses mostly Warehouse Hobbies hardware however it is a mono and would be a similar setup. The second link may give more detail on the type hardware you are using however is a catamaran.

Please ask any questions you have. There are many experienced boaters here that will lend a hand.

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7912646/mpage_5/key_/tm.htm

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7912646/mpage_5/key_/tm.htm
Old 08-02-2009, 07:32 PM
2.0racer
Banned

They sent me a 6 inch prop extender, is there any reason why it needs to be so far asay from the boat. My brushless one hands right off the back.

Aswell I shaft that does from the motor, and then to prop is missing. not to sure what to use there. Im totally tapped on this build, is there anything else that I can use. Aswell im stuck on other things. Ill take more pictures tonight and show everyone what I mean.

thanks for all the welcoming notes.

Cheers, thanks everyone

Old 08-02-2009, 07:33 PM
2.0racer
Banned

I should have gotten something that was all together and running, LOL

the instruction manual is only 4 pages long and there isnt much for pictures, its all worded.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 PM
eengler

hahahha WELCOME, believe me, you have more than knowledge here!!!! just make sure you do not drill any holes before seeking advice or not following the instructions. Mike, martno and dreaming Are all good people, we can help you.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:58 PM
coyv10

How close is AC Boats from you is it possible to go see him I bet he will help with the setup
Old 08-02-2009, 09:31 PM
2.0racer
Banned

here are some pictures of what im having difficulty with. Someone offered me a trade of a miss budwieser or something like that and some cash. Could someone give me advice if its worth my while.

in the mean time, id still like to get this thing running.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Hesco Racing

2.0Racer,

Firstly if you even thinking about swopping or trading this boat before you run it you are going to shoot yourself in the foot. This is a magic boat and runs good in rough and flat water stock or mod.

As said before start by mounting the hardware. The instruction sheet should have enough info on that. I see the stinger drive has got slots so make sure you mount it such that you can move it up and down. Bottom of stinger should not extend below transome at lowest position.

http://www.martysrcboats.com/lazer45.htm
http://www.cc-racingengines.com/inde...d=70&Itemid=96

I know it's a lazer but I thought the pics would help.

i'll try to get some info from the 3 guys running the boats here.
Cobus
Old 08-03-2009, 03:20 AM
martno1fan

Honestly while i dont own a razor i can confidently say from speaking to several mates on the forums who do race them you have one of if not THE BEST MONO there is available today when it comes to speed and handling.DO NOT swap it for a miss bud [sm=cry_smile.gif] you will regret it i promise you that.You should ask them at AC boats for advice on setup and what parts you need to finnish this boat,in fact if you really dont want to build it why not ask them to do it for you im sure they would happily do it.Maybe a member here lives close enough to help you out on the build,but its not that hadr its the first hole you drill thats the scary part ?.By the way what you call a prop extender is in facta stinger,reason they have them so far back is to keep the prop in clean water away from the transom of the boat,the usual stingers are only 4" what you have is a better one for racing and better speed.
Mart
heres another guide to read.
[link]http://www.americanrcboats.com/howto/buildguide/buildguide.htm[/link]
Old 08-03-2009, 07:12 AM
BMAD01

Who are you? People never sign their posts anymore, whats with that??? I built my Razor about 2 years ago. Since then the hard drive on my computer too a dump and all my build pics are trapped on it. Here are some pics I hope will help. It looks like you have a Speedmaster stinger and 6" rudder assy. That is all good. Your trim tabs should be Speedmaster also, but I didn't see them. The turn fins should be Aeromarine's with the fins mounted on the inside of the mount.

MrMike is absolutely correct. Follow the directions in the setup book for mounting the hardware. Mount the radio box next and heap everything inside it. Dont bolt the servos down yet as you'll need to shift things around and line everything up later. Then put your pipe on the motor with the mounts. I used CC Racing Drop Mounts on my boat with an M+D stinger drive. Set your BALANCE POINT by moving the motor back and forth with EVERYTHING that will be in the 100% finished boat. Mark your engine mount holes out and bolt the motor in. After that is done, you can run your drive line and setup the servos and pushrods.

I hope these pics help. Good luck, Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96867.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1249220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56842.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1249221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45486.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1249222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52587.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1249223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs94782.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1249224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq95863.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1249225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hk89577.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1249226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yx80397.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1249227  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk87144.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1249228  
Old 08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
2.0racer
Banned

anyone near kamloops BC .. I know no one locally the race these. only one person that the fellow I got it from and he sold everything cause hes moving up north. I really like all the advice. I might leave it on the shelf for a while. i race touring cars, and nitro truggy my hands are full untill about chirstmas time. I was going to put the tabs on tonight, but if I do sell the set up, Id hate to ruin it for someone.

Thanks again everyone. i book marked all the sites you sent me to, so I wont forget them,,,

by all means if anyone near me or in canada, please do PM and I can call you back  or you can call me. Thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
2.0racer
Banned

actually, LOL... I might just beable to do this. i was going through all the steps of the tabs and still. Ill post pictures when its complete.

Agian, Thanks so much guys.... great advice. the links are so easy to read and visually set each step. thanks alot

Old 08-03-2009, 09:26 PM
2.0racer
Banned

.. sorry I edited this message I figureed it out.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 PM
2.0racer
Banned

whats the transom?

My first install. I wont touch anything untill I get some feed back letting me knwo if there is antything I did wrong..... Thanks guys. I guess the 33 racing motor motor I got needs a different set up for the motor mounts then shown to me. i got the proper mounts. But Ill still install it last.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM
dicko

So far so good. remember measure twice, drill once. Try putting some masking tape on the back of the hull to mark out the drill holes, it also helps stop the gelcoat from chipping whan you drill.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Hesco Racing

From your third picture it looks like your cleat nuts are not pulled into the wood on the transom. If the wood is glassed over sand it back to wood and once you have them located put the boat on it's transom and tap tehm in with a hammer. Be careful not to damage the gel coat on the outside by putting it on a towl of piece of carpet. I see that on the stinger the bolts are at the top of the slots, which means from that position you can only move up. Should have been the other way around.[:'(] You could elongate the hole to move the stinger a bit lower, or is that the position they stae in the build plan?

Cobus

If you look at the link Mart send at pictures 9 & 10, You would see what I mean.
Also the hole for the stuffing tube should be elongated so that you can move the stinger.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 AM
patriktegelberg

You did great, it won't be long now before you teach us how to do it stay on it. Follow your own mind, pick and choose only the best advises.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 AM
martno1fan

The only thing i see that does need changing is to make that hole for the stuffing tube a slot so you have up and down adjustment on the stinger,seal it up after with silicone .You will love this build and im sure you will love running her even more.In the instructions does it say to mount the prop dead centre or slightly offfset to the right?.
Mart
Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 AM
2.0racer
Banned

it is more to the center then the picture looks. Just a really bad camera angle. Im going to attemped the tabs today.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Doing great, nice start. The offset to the right thing just counteracts engine torque and some prop walking (paddle wheel effect). You'll be fine doing it the way you did (centered). Just may need a little rudder trim to get her to track completely straight at speed
Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: 2.0racer

it is more to the center then the picture looks. Just a really bad camera angle. Im going to attemped the tabs today.

Reason i ask is do whatever it says in the build notes,most monos have them offset as Scott says but some dont.The guys that test them would know what works best hopefully ,as they will probably have tried it both ways first and found what works best.I usually offset them on a vee for the reasons Scott gave,the last thing you want is to have to give left rudder to keep her going straight because thats a pain in the backside and will only slow her down.
Mart
by the way my good pal Brian aka BMAD is the guy to ask as hes built a cpl of AC hulls i believe
Old 08-04-2009, 03:09 PM
2.0racer
Banned

ok well, what I did was driller a 1/16 bigger hole where the mount screws went and i aligned it more straigh. I even took a lazer level and it looks perfect. There is an updated picture of what ive completed today.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
2.0racer
Banned

another question, I knowwhat I got all this stuff for... I gave up some money and trades a bunch of stuff for it. If i were to sell it what would be a good base price in Canadian funds? Ive got the killz 26.6 motor, and all the proper mounts for it, and much much more with it. Aswell i talked to Andy from AC model boats on the phone today, I mentioned to him what ive got it it, and he said all that is needed it a tray and radio gear. There is servos and everything. No saying im going to sell it, but im just wondering what the total price of everything would be worth.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.