Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Where to run on LI???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Where to run on LI???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:04 PM
pokaplaya22
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to run on LI???

Just wondering if anyone here is from Long Island, and where are some good spots to run, I should say allowed to run. Tried doing a google search on the regs on gas boats, not much luck. Thanks
Old 08-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Where to run on LI???

Use to run on Artist lake which is in Middle Island (opposite the Kmart - if it is still there).

There is also a NAMBA club at North Pond, West Hempstead who have a race this Sunday I believe.
http://www.namba.com/content/default.asp
http://www.namba.com/content/showdis...t=1&Contact=15
http://www.namba-1.com/Directions%20...ke%20Sites.pdf

These were the only two legal locations where gas boats could be run in fresh water on Long Island. I do not know if Artist Lake is still legal however (has been 12 years since I ran there).

If you have not already done so - use a quality muffler - wont slow the boat and will help keep the lake legal

Old 08-21-2009, 05:48 PM
pokaplaya22

Ouch, I was afraid of that. I may have to go to one of the town beaches, where waves are tiny. This is my first boat, but I do know I have to flush the water cooling system out with fresh water..right? Its an older boat, I think WH hull with modded 23cc zen, at least I believe.Ill probly bring a 5g jug of water and wash down real good. Thanks for the reply tho, JAW
Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not even think of running the boat at a beach while there is anyone in or near the water. Liability is HUGE plus you will likely be tossed from the beach in minutes.

If it is your first boat then I would certainly recommend trying to find someone near you who has experience - it is a safety thing as much as anything.

Going to the race would not be a bad start - you probably wont get to run her but the friends you make and tips you pick up may be priceless. It really is not far from you - I use to drive there from Farmingville.

After running in salt you definately should flush the boat thoroughly with water. Salt water does not give electronics a second chance so be certain the radio box is airtight.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:49 PM
pokaplaya22

No, I would never run around people. I meant town beach,If you are familiar with LI... Venetian, tanner park, etc. No one would dare swim in there, not that it so bad, just the real beaches are 10 minutes away.