Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New boat from Proboat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New boat from Proboat

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:58 AM
JCAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New boat from Proboat

Hi guys

Check it out. Proboat has a new gas boat boat coming soon

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB2350

It looks pretty cool and scale, comes with a Zenoah and Spectrum radio and the price seems reasonable for an RTR boat.

I'm impressed by what's on offer for the price.

What do you guys think? And please let's not bash Proboat because of their previous models.....

Cheers

JC
Old 08-29-2009, 08:14 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New boat from Proboat

Looks quite nice i supose time will tell what the quallity is like but at least it has a zenoah.
Mart
Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Aw, gee whiz, we have so much fun ripping them apart!
It comes with a cannister exhaust so if you plan on putting a tuned pipe on it you're going to have a big hole in the port side to fill.
The rudder I'm leery of as if you watch the video carefully, it's starting to swing back going over the waves. There is a provision for a shear pin which would help.
It does have the new Spektrum radio system that is supposed to work better on water.
I've also seen some early testing reviews on it. One tester said that it needs more air flow going through it.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 AM
rcguy1411

too bad its ugly as sin there are so many nicer designes out thereto choose from
Old 08-29-2009, 12:04 PM
chief3452

Hey JCAustralia,

If I had the funds I would consider buying this boat. If you are looking for a playboat I think this rig would fit the bill. It looks and performs well in the promotional video, but if you search around the threads here on the RCUniverse you'll see RTR gas boats in the $1K and under range leave alot to be desired. This is not a slam on Proboat's RTR offerings, as the Aquacraft Rio and V24 have their issues as well. I have wanted to buy a Rio ever since it was first offered but the Fuji engine appears to be a pain to live with so, I agree with Mart, at least it has a Zenoah, other than that, time will tell.

Scott
Old 08-29-2009, 05:46 PM
goodson

its a different look. FWIW, i've seen proboat quality up close and running, and it leaves a bit to be desired. the design and layout seem good, but something is lost on the way to materials and hardware. since the hull and hardware are pretty crucial parts to having a good running boat, one just has to know what to expect out of them.

that being said, the boat looks like it runs pretty well-especially running next to another 1:1 boat in pretty rough water. as long as it holds together, maybe it will change the stigma of buying a RTR under $1k. i'm still watching for Aquacraft to debut their new model; really hoping its a 50" +/- cat...
Old 08-29-2009, 06:04 PM
JCAustralia

Beauty lies in the beholder

I do find the boat very nice and it very scale looking.

Another two things that are really nice is that it comes with a Zenoah engine and a Spectrum radio. Both products have good reputation and may be worth USD 400-450 if bought separately.....

I have only one gas boat and several electric ones and this new Proboat loks like a good deal..... Never owned a Proboat but have read a lot on them.....

Looking forward to read opinions, reviews and experience of the boat.

Thanks

JC
Old 08-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Macleod

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

It comes with a cannister exhaust so if you plan on putting a tuned pipe on it you're going to have a big hole in the port side to fill.
I don't think there will be room for a tuned pipe inside that hull. The photos in the manual don't really show if there is enough room for a pipe.[] If there is room, then to install the pipe might ruin the look of the outside of the deck.

A few things I have noticed:

Don't like the crude conversion they have done to the canister.[:@]

Plus no visual sign (exit water) as to whether the cooling system is working. they put the water from the cooling cap into the compact canister muffler.

The radio box is not quick access as they state. Eight screws to remove first.

And how does the deep water rudder eliminate the need for skid fins???[:-]

You wont get much adjustment with that strut, the hole for the exit of the shaft is tight around the driveline. It will have to be opened up...

I'm not a fan of the teflon liner in the driveline tube.

And you have to sharpen and balance the prop. Hardly RTR out of the box.

Other than those points it looks like a nice hull.
Good to see the Zen power plant in there.

Just my 2.5 cents of opinions .
Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 PM
quicksilver78

just buy a whh boat for that kinda money your close to getting a silex or something that has a better hull speed and youll be taken serious at the ponds
Old 08-31-2009, 02:33 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ross it looks like an alluminium prop to me so it wont need ballancing it should be fine left alone.Ive tried 3 ali props and not had to ballance any of them so far.I do disagree with the guy who said its ugly i think its a nice scale looking boat and looks like it handles rough water very well.The hole for the tube in the transom def needs opening up though or you wont get any adjustment on the strut.While the silex is a nice boat its nothing new its just a copy of the old lynx delta hulls ,at least this is something new.
Mart
Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 AM
JCAustralia

Yes its probably the best scale looking deep vee boat...... The spoiler at the back adds a very nice touch of realism and makes it different to others. I wonder if its made of fibreglass or just plastic?

Its definitely better looking than the RIO51 or V24 in my humble opinion.....

Anybody owned one yet?

JC

Old 12-06-2009, 04:02 PM
RGrew176

I am giving some serious consideration to the purchase of the new ProBoat 48 next spring. I currently am running a BlackJack 26 electric by ProBoat. So far I am happy with how it is holding up. Like anything there are always better products out there. One of the local hobby shops just got one in and they are selling it for $749. I may end up with another brand come spring but right now the ProBoat is at the top of my list.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:32 PM
bigcam406

both RCCARACTION and RCDRIVER did reviews this month on the Hypersport.both authors had the same gripe....the side exhaust.they both burnt their hand on it while placing the boat in the water after starting it.other than that,the rest was positive.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 AM
mannymach1

I saw one at the hobby shop the other day. The fiberglass hull is beefier than the BJ 55. It looks like they improved on the quality and logic of the placement of components. I think the reason for the canister exhaust is due to the sound level of the tuned pipes. I got kicked off of two areas because of that. I now run a pipe with a muffler on my BJ 55. From the video, it looks like it handles the nasty stuff pretty good. This would be a good play boat....but for modding it...I rather have my BJ 55
Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 AM
cheesewizz69

RGrew176 posted a similar question in the General Boat forum http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9302245/tm.htm.

I gave him my opinion of the boat there but I am glad to see others are giving him their thoughts on it here.

Leo
Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 PM
RGrew176

ORIGINAL: mannymach1

I saw one at the hobby shop the other day. The fiberglass hull is beefier than the BJ 55. It looks like they improved on the quality and logic of the placement of components. I think the reason for the canister exhaust is due to the sound level of the tuned pipes. I got kicked off of two areas because of that. I now run a pipe with a muffler on my BJ 55. From the video, it looks like it handles the nasty stuff pretty good. This would be a good play boat....but for modding it...I rather have my BJ 55

Thanks for the response. It is great that you are able to compare the two different models. Noise and budget are two of my considerations. It sounds from the videos I have watched that the Hypersport is a little bit quieter than the others I have seen. When we are anchored out in our "big" boats and want to run our RC boats noise is something that has to be considered. One of our Club members has a nitro boat and for the most part it is not that noisy. It is just a challenge to keep it running. If I do get a gas boat I will also keep my electric so I will be running two boats for the forseeable future.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Jon DesJardins

Ehhhh go to warehouse hobbies and take a look at a serious quality boat, I am very glad I went warehouse hobbies instead of a PB or other more big retail made boat!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 PM
joe2011

go and look at warehouse hobbies there boats are a lot better. pro boat makes junk i have had 2 or 3 of there boat there hulls all ways crack gas tank leaks or they just fall apart
Old 12-10-2009, 01:19 PM
specialk1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: spoolinaww

Ehhhh go to warehouse hobbies and take a look at a serious quality boat, I am very glad I went warehouse hobbies instead of a PB or other more big retail made boat!
[sm=thumbup.gif] have to agree .go to warehouse hobbies . better boat for the buck i took a look at that pro boat at my local HS , it did not look like it will hold up long .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68880.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1331327