Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

finishing up an Easy Vee..and a few questions

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

finishing up an Easy Vee..and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 PM
iliketacos43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finishing up an Easy Vee..and a few questions

...for you seasoned vets out there! This is my first boat build, and it's been challenging but lots of fun.
I have finished up the hull, painted it a basic red, and installed most of my Warehouse Hobbies Boat Builder's Kit. Everything is going together great although getting the engine in there was a a tough one.
My first question is how does everyone seal up stuffing tube and prevent water from being sucked up to the collet? I did a float test tonight, and the water went all the way up through the tube almost by capillary action.
My next question is, if you notice in the picture, the exhaust cannister is made such that it points right inside the boat. I am seeing that as a problem. Has anyone else encountered this? I was thinking of maybe getting some kind of 5/8" tubing and extending it to the transom. [:-]
Last question is do I need to seal up the bolts that hold the driveline/rudder assembly to the transom? It seems to me like you would need silicone or epoxy with filler..but I dunno.
Thanks guys,
-Dave

-Edit: it's not letting me upload the picture for some reason, hopefully someone will have an idea about the exhaust.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:16 PM
PEERPSI

Default RE: finishing up an Easy Vee..and a few questions

If you're running a canopy the exhaust heat would be a problem outerwise no.

Generally the flex shafts are given a healthy coat of grease for lubrication purposes but it also serves to keep the water from travelling up the stuffing tube.

Bolts shouldn't need to be sealed unless there are gapping holes. When running there is not much water on the transom itself as the boats lifts up out of the water once on plane.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
stackeddeck

EASYVEEUNITE!

tacos,was bending stuffing tube hard and did you use propane torch?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:31 PM
iliketacos43

Thanks for the quick answers peerpsi.
Stackeddeck, my stuffing tube actually broke because of the propane torch, so I bought a tube bender at the auto parts store..there is a slot for 3/8" tubing and it bends it nicely.
Your boat is lookin pretty nice man.
-Dave
Old 09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
stackeddeck

Thanks! how much was the bender? I plan on going to an auto store for some paint so maybe I will get one. Which reminds me. Have you or do you plan on painting yours? if so with what paint?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

they are brake line benders, $5 to $10 for a cheapie
Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 PM
iliketacos43

Yea, I just went with a basic red paint on mine. Got all the supplies at NAPA..Primer, clearcoat, and primary coats..They will point you in the right direction. And a brake line bender is usually about 10-12 bucks...be sure it has the 3/8" slot for bending tubing.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:21 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bending tubes is easy just install the flex and bend by hand over your knee simple!.Water wont run up the stuffing tube so long as you have grease in there?.Regarding your exit hole at the transom be sure to make it a slot not a hole to allow adjustments and just seal it up with silicone.You can get propper cannisters for boats where the exits face upwards if needed .You can also extend the one you have or even flip it round so the exit is higher so everything doesnt get blown down inside the hull maybe?.
Mart
scroll down $25
http://www.americanrcboats.com/produ...gineacczen.htm
Old 09-09-2009, 06:49 PM
iliketacos43

Thanks for the replies guys..
One more question..I am having uber troubles getting my flex shaft to go in the stuffing tube when I use the teflon liner[:@]. How important is it that I use a liner? Could I just use a %%!! ton of grease on the stuffing tube when running? The flex shaft will actually go through it if I use that method. I do realize that if there is no liner, the stuffing tube may get extremely hot and could damage the hull. Has anyone done this?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
LawHound

Hi Dave Some where on this Forum I read that some were having trouble with the Teflon Liner. I do not remember where or when. I too am on the Finishing Stages of An Easy V Build I too was wondering about the Teflon Liner. Nate of Mud Hole Racing told me to Ditch the Steel Stuffing Tube go with a brass one It is easier to bend and easier to fit in the Boat and He runs a Shaft Oiler rather than Grease in the Tube Look up Sporster445 and look at his Articles on Shaft Oilers really all you have to do is Search for Shaft Oilers and you will have more Info than A little. I just Finished Cutting my Shaft Soldering it to the Prop shaft and now am waiting for the Epoxy to Cure where I put the Shaft tube in the Boat with the Shaft in place in the Clutch all Lined up Pretty well. At least the Shaft turns in the Tube pretty easy and I have not put any Oil or Grease in it yet. also when the shaft is spinning it acts like a Screw and pulls the oil down the shaft and out the end outside of the boat and Slings very little inside the boat. I am going to build the Shaft Oiler Like the one Nate uses in his Boats. I Just like the look of it and I plan to use it with Chainsaw Bar oil like Nate does He said he has not had any Problems yet with that Setup. Doug
Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 PM
quicksilver78

itl be fine i dont use liners use a good thick marine grease i havnt even noticed that much heat
Old 09-10-2009, 09:30 PM
stackeddeck

I didn't read anything in the easy vee manual about teflon liner?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 PM
quicksilver78

some use it some dont some like it becouse they claim it helps kill rf noise to the receiver some claims it it makes more drag on the shaft lol its totaly your preference ive only had one boat with it and it was a whobbies drive so it came with it
Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 AM
dicko

I run with & without, & see no difference between them.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:53 PM
stackeddeck

alright thanks