Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

73" Custom Mono

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

73" Custom Mono

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:09 PM
JettaGL_1.8T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73" Custom Mono

Hey all,

I've been doing some research here to try and determine what I need for this build, but I'm a novice. I'm hoping someone might be able to answer some initial questions (and probably a bunch of subsequent ones too)...

Basically, I'm involved with team developing a line of offshore powerboats (full scale). My role in the project is as a designer - I'm not an engineer. As part of our development we have constructed a scale plug of one of our initial concepts. We are currently in the process of constructing a mold. This is primarily for the purpose of casting duplicates for further form development, but it has the dual purpose of being used to produce at least one or two cored glass hulls for some research (but mostly for fun in my case).

As the title indicates, the model is 73.5" long. It has a 14.5" beam (1:7 scale). The model is setup for two aeration steps at the moment but it's flexible still as these are inserts in the mold. An example of a typical drivetrain configuration in the full scale boat would be twin Mercury 1075's into #6 drives. There are many other options we're exploring though, up to turbines.

In an effort to emulate the full scale boat in appearance, I would like to run some type of Z-drive (or at least in looks). I'm unclear on what kind of power would be needed in a hull this size. I don't have particularly ambitious goals speed wise. If 40-45mph is possible, I would be content. I'm just not sure what it would take to get there. My initial thinking is somewhere in the 5-8hp range perhaps? This is anywhere from WHH's M5 Zenoah to one of their twin-line Zenoahs? I know a big part of the equation is weight - that's something I will able to answer once I've assembled a hull. I've been looking to WHH in regards to a lot of parts due to their reputation around here and availability. Drive wise, I would love a set of MHZ's drives, but there is a budget here for a personal model. I'm thinking the WD200 Z-like drives would be a respectable alternative? Along with one of their clutched gear boxes? Where is best place to source WD200 parts? What about props?

I would like to be able to post photos of the plug but I'm operating under a non-disclosure obligation. Hopefully down the line I will be able to show something though.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-13-2009, 01:24 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 73

Im sure Matt justaddwata will be along soon to help you out,hes the big boat guru on the site.He also has two nice MHZ outdrives for sale in the for sale section $500 each.
Mart
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=568683

ps check here for some ideas theres thousands of pics of his and others builds ,most of them BIG
http://www.imageevent.com/justaddwata
Old 11-13-2009, 04:02 PM
FlogginHarvey

Now that is a cool project and job! I went to Art Center @ Night for three years chasing a Yacth Design degree until I leared how not good at art I am...my sister got that from my mother I suppose not I.

Tank test hull, eh!?

For the WD200 gear, you can go to http://www.wd200-modellbau.de/ and shoot Werner an e-mail. He is a great guy and gives wonderful customer service. What he cannot read he has a friend translate for him. GREAT gear and GREAT customer service.

I friend has a Clutch/Counter Rotating Gear box he is building in a Mono with an inline Zenoah...sweet setup and her is using the MHZ Z-Drives. Te gear box comes with a DVD with installation and maintenance instructions way cool. The single cyllie motors are cool but for dependability and parts I would suggest the twin Zenoah. They are just tough to beat, power, price, torque, dependability, etc...

I have a 60" MHZ Apache with a single Blata 40CC motor and (there is also the 50cc Polini) and a MHZ gear box coupled to a pair of S6 MHZ drives fun boat and love it! The S6's are a bit bigger than the z-drive but it sounds like that may not be a huge deal. I will say for ease of use, ease of maintenance, and certainly cost, the WD200 drives are AWESOME. I have one on the back of a 55" Dumas Scarab and it runs great!

Pop me an e-mail or PM if you feel the need...have lots of pix and some run time...alhtough nothing with an inline Zennie. JAW is the obvioius king of the toys there...

I would love to talk boat-geek with you and check some pix of the scale mono if you can share info at this point...

Trey

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42799.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1313572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34530.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1313573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb77079.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1313574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33339.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1313575  
Old 11-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

She sounds a fun project. Indeed it would be great to see some pics when you can share them. I imagine the boat will be molded locally - never a bad thing.

I would recommend taking a look at some of these pics I got from a builder in Germany to give you an idea on a good configuration - http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/mo...romgermany/gtx

A single zenoah with a single drive would certainly deliver good performance. An inline with gearbox and twin drives is significantly more complex though will give more scale look and performance likely beyond what your after.

I can give you an idea on props once you narrow down your driveline choices.

Hobbydepot carry the WD200 hardware - http://www.hobbydepot.com.au/index.p...65160f6ef3398f or you could try buying direct from Germany. I dont know of any US dealers. The clutched splitter box is not cheap - but quality is high.

The S6 Speedmaster drives are very good for scale but as you have mentioned - they are a bit of a budget buster.

One other option might be to stagger the motors and run each to a stern drive such as in this build - http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/mo...ermany/recless This will eliminate the need for a gearbox and be a little more budget friendly.

Where in NY are you? I am on the CT/RI border - if your ever down this way I would gladly give you a tour.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:29 AM
dicko

Also have a look at Danny's boats at Sonic Racing. He builds some nice large scale monos & cats.

http://sonicracingaustralia.com/index.htm