Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

***41" Jag Falcon Cat build 1 with Pics & Vids***

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

***41" Jag Falcon Cat build 1 with Pics & Vids***

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 PM
exotica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***41" Jag Falcon Cat build 1 with Pics & Vids***

Well after messing around with my very first hull which can be found here, I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a decent one. Ive learnt a great deal from this hull so its time to invest again. I read and see that these Jag/Falcon hulls are great value for money for what you get and the build quality is reasonably strong. Some people are getting over 70mph in them. which sounds like a great deal of fun to me.

Anyway, after approx three weeks of negotiating with the factory I have managed to have one custom made (at a price) and be reinforced with carbon/kevlar cloth where specified and additional bulkheads added where required for extra deck support. Lets just say thats been a task on its own to finalise.

I have also decided to go with all new Speedmaster hardware, all brand new fittings, brand new radio box, brand new Hitec servos, brand new everything and attempt my very first Baxter fuel set up and stuffing box install.

The power plant will be a Ken Retallick (www.retallickeng.com.au) Full Mod Zenoah and a custom made Ken Retallick pipe. This motor and pipe combo has already proven itself in my 19 pound hydro gasser that ran a 55mph pass on its first day out on the water! Just cant wait to see what it does in a 15 pound cat. Pictures and videos will be added to this thread as I start the build which wont be for approx 3-4weeks.

Any suggestions, advice, tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated at this stage to prepare me for what lies ahead. I think the only stage in the build that will make me a little nervous is the installation of the stuffing box and stuffing tube. Now all I have to do is wait for everything to arrive!

More pics of the finished hull have now been added as you read through this post.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:49 PM
exotica

Default RE: ***41" Jag Falcon Cat build 1 with Pics & Vids***

...was a little bored tonight so I decided to make a start on the only thing I had for my new cat appart from the motor and pipe, the radio box. I needed to fix the nuts to the underneath side of the radio box ensuring they were not going to fall out or come loose, remaining in place securely for a long period of time once the box was attached to the stringers. With a little help of some resin and a nail to apply it neatly, thats exactly what I did.

The planned hardware and electronics for this box will be,

1X HITEC HS755MG 1/4 SCALE SERVO FOR STEERING
1X HITEC HS425BB SERVO FOR THROTTLE
2X HITEC CNC ALUMINIUM RED ANODIZED SERVO HORNS
1X SANWA DIGITAL 2.4GHZ RX-451 RECEIVER
1X IP (INTELLECT) 7.4V LIPO HUMP PACK
2X CNC ALUMINIUM SERVO MOUNTS TO SUIT
1X CNC SILVER NO LEAK ANTENNA MOUNT
2X RUBBER GREASE FILLED BELLOWS BOOTS
8X STAINLESS HEX HEAD BOLTS
8X STAINLESS BOLTS
4X STAINLESS SCREWS
MOISTURE ABSORBANCY MATERIAL

...all electronics (servos & RX) will be stripped down to the circuit board, coated with a waterproofing spray and re-assembled....didnt realise just how much goes into building one of these radios boxes but im confident it will come up looking great and very functional for its purpose without having to open it up often.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:53 PM
exotica

Tonight was a test to see just how well the spray sealer I had in mind works. I tested it first to ensure it would repel and hold off all water. Very easily done using a paper towel. Sprayed some paper towel, let the sealer dry ( a minute or two) then ran water over it. PERFECT! Next was to carefully open my RX up and spray both sides of the circuit board with two liberal coats, then the entire inside of the case, re-assemble it and spray two coats on the outside. The sealer dries clear within minutes still allowing surfaces that it is sprayed on to breath.

...end result? perfect. Connected it for a quick test, no problems. Took no more than 10 minutes and I know I will not be worrying to much if its floating full of water upside down for an hour in the pond

Old 08-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Hesco Racing

Does that receiver come with the MX-3FHSS transmitter? I have a RX-351 and the range is only 40 od meters and the fail-safe shuts the motor.

Cobus
Old 08-21-2010, 02:14 AM
exotica

ORIGINAL: Hesco Racing

Does that receiver come with the MX-3FHSS transmitter? I have a RX-351 and the range is only 40 od meters and the fail-safe shuts the motor.

Cobus
...comes with the M11x mate and a reach of 400 meters. Great RX.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:29 AM
exotica

...my new aluminium billet servo mounts arrived today and loosely assembled [img]images/smilies/kodak.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2010, 03:32 AM
exotica

...my new fuel pump arrived today also, so it was a quick trip to the hardware store to purchase a new jerry can and quick visit to my local mower repair centre for some fuel line to put together my new fuel system. While cruising from place to place I stopped into some local vets to see if I could collect some empty Baxter IV bags.

In luck today on my third vet stop, 1000ml bags! even better they didnt want anything for them, so the guy comes out with 5 of them as says "their you go mate, all yours". Left them a ten dollar note and said lattes on me tomorrow morning.

After some fidling around drying out the bags and working out how to set this up so it works efficiently without leaks and being messy, this is what I came up with to work in with the rest of the system when that arrives [img]images/smilies/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2010, 03:35 AM
exotica

...more parts have arrived my new billet filler cap, my new rudder servo and my new lipo receiver hump pack...

Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Hesco Racing

Your gas bag is going to pinch closed when the tank gets to empty. It is best to put a piece of brass tubing through the tygon tubing into the bag to keep the front open. Hope I can put this here but if you look at the link it is a great explanation.
http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...as_Bag_Setups/

That Lipo battery has it got a regulator in to keep the voltage at 6v otherwise you going to fry receivers and servos.

Cobus
Old 08-24-2010, 04:41 PM
exotica

ORIGINAL: Hesco Racing

Your gas bag is going to pinch closed when the tank gets to empty. It is best to put a piece of brass tubing through the tygon tubing into the bag to keep the front open. Hope I can put this here but if you look at the link it is a great explanation.
http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...as_Bag_Setups/

That Lipo battery has it got a regulator in to keep the voltage at 6v otherwise you going to fry receivers and servos.

Cobus

Hi Cobus and thanks for adding the information about the bag, plans are to add that tube as every set up ive seen has it. The only reason its not there is I didnt have one. The use of a regulator is not required, the Sanwa RX-451 im using accepts input voltage from 4.8v to 7.4v, its the same RX as the Sanwa 92451 you guys have in the US. I will be looking into it though just to be certain.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 PM
advanced builder

Looking at what you got going, Not much to say except good job. I'll kick back and watch. I did notice the pipe ,NICE We have been testing a few Gas hulls 53-56mph on a 11 lb rigger .Home built buy Zippkit.com Joe's Been testing a few different turnfins, large,small 1/2 curve full curve. The hull didn't like some. I seen 6-7 different styles of fins
Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 PM
apache 56

mate you may like to look at the 500ml bags. the lt bags is a big tank for a small hull.......500ml is pleanty. . just keep them full and not left empty when storing your boat after use....

and yes like hesco says inset the bras into the bag even drill a cupple holes in the side of the tubing that enters the bag. ive had one bag on the weekend move when installing it and as fuel ran under half it the end of brass tubing sucked onto the bag and the motor was leaning out..
Old 08-24-2010, 10:22 PM
exotica

...thanks Advance.

...Apache, its a problem tracking down the smaller 500ml bags. Everywhere I tried I was told they use the 1000ml bags. Got one spare for me, could swap you a 1000ml for a 500ml? Ill keep trying though to get a couple of 500ml ones.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Hesco Racing

http://www.nextag.com/buy-saline-sol...gs/search-html

Hope it helps

Cobus
Old 08-25-2010, 05:05 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just half fill it viola 500 ml ,you dont wanna fill bags all the way anyway or they will expand and split when it gets warm .Also never leave them full just leave a little in the bag when stored or the same thing can happen.Did i mention i hate bags,get yourself a hard tank,less problems.I make my own from alluminium water bottles and run the vent line into a small nitro tank or film canister to stop water getting in if you flip.Much nicer than bags to look at and works better in my opinion as you never have to worry about the tank expanding,splitting ,leaking or having to burp them.Leave tha bags for the vets and the medical profesion .
Mart
Old 08-25-2010, 05:46 AM
exotica

...lol Mart, ive already got myslef a new hard tank and just wanted to try my hand at putting together one of these bags also. I think if done right they shouldnt be a problem. Everyone has there own preferences I guess. Have to say though, they will allow you more flexibility with adjusting COG to an optimal and having the COGvery low in the boat on the hulls floor. Something that simply cant be achieved with a hard tank. Your right about half filling, Im going to wait until my hull actually arrives and look at possibly making a slopped/elevated IV bag holder that will eliminate the need to burp bags and not run the risk of the bottom of the bag pinching as fuel starts to run out possibly causing the motor to lean out.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:20 AM
dicko

Burping the bag is a sinch, use a long filler line, stand the boat on it's nose up against you or a bench, open the filler vent, gently squeeze the bag & pinch the line when it's full of fuel. Re-insert plug in line & you're done. Takes less than a minute & a lot less time than trying to get water out of your carb. I prefer the bags & I've used both methods.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Seeing how you're a member over at the Dock, contact gardawoodman, he's got the 500 Baxter IV bags at a good price plus some new brass inserts.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:19 PM
advanced builder

Burp,your bag Nice & gentle . Them solid fuel tanks are OS old school Ya but they work, no holes in the tank. The guy's run 250cc for heat racing. Still plenty of fuel left even after a cool down lap What's the price on them RETALLICK pipes??
Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 PM
exotica

...your best contacting Ken. www.retallickeng.com.au
Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 PM
exotica

...four more packages arrived today as the wife has just notified me. Shes good like that. I believe my new speedmaster hardware has arrived today in one of those packages....update and photos to be posted when I get a moment. Maybe I might have even received my new Dasboata custom prop....
Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Ron Olson

Funny you should mention that as I wasn't happy with the strut on my Falcon so I ordered a Speedmaster and it showed up in the mail today also.
The wife is starting to ask questions again as this is the 3rd box to arrive in the past week, 2 of them last Thursday and over $300.00 worth of parts. Some were for my JAE gas rigger though.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 PM
exotica

...lol Ron, I try and keep her in loop as to what im up to otherwise....well I dont need to go on do I? LOL. Four packages arrived today so im curious as to what else is there. Ill open them all up and update the thread later tonight.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Ron Olson

Say no more....
I've got an idea that the other half sneaks a lot of things into the house also and hopes that I don't notice them. She's not one of those who has a pile of shoes or purses but her paycheck sure goes somewhere! I did find a massive pile of lottery tickets stashed behind the seat of the truck. I rarely drive it as she'd rather roll in that than the SUV but I drove it last week and wondered why I couldn't slide the seat all the way back! The agreement now is that she doesn't ask me and I don't ask her as long as the bills get paid.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 AM
scooter666

If woman had the same understanding of boats, as they do about shopping, Hair dressers, shoes, hand bags, make up and important dates, Imagine how big this hobby would be.......LOL

Cheers Scoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.