Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

still looking for a .18 hydro hull

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

still looking for a .18 hydro hull

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:40 PM
toyotatruckin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: still looking for a .18 hydro hull

Hydrorob has built some for other people you might send him a PM, also give joe a call im sure he could point you in the right direction to someone
Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Yota, you going to volunteer? You know you want to
Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 PM
andybenton

hahaha yeah cmon, build me one up, better than that, just send me out one of yours and ill send you a kit XD
Old 09-25-2010, 12:30 AM
toyotatruckin

Maybe one of these days Ill build by request but not right now.. I USED to work props for people and ive cut more props than the majority of people will ever even see in a life time BUT Im 100% burned out on doing props and have been for a while, to the point I dont even like doing my own props anymore. I dont want to get to that point with building.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Andy, David Preusse has been bilding a lot of JAE's, both the .12 and .21 versions. He also makes cowlings for them.
His contact info is on his site: http://cdrace1.com/default.aspx . David builds some really fast boats and is working on his own version of a Sport 20 hull.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:16 PM
andybenton

thanks ron, i emailed him.

the biggest issue with building one myself in all honesty is to keep the peace with my wife haha.
ive got three nitro planes allready, and two of the three are half built, and shes really not happy about those hahaha.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

I've got the same issue with the wife, too many projects of multiple types. I'm now under orders to finish some before starting anything else
Old 09-25-2010, 08:11 PM
joseywales

I have no proublems with the wife on the boats, since I'm in the same boat with her. lol....... Andybenton, it could be worse.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 AM
andybenton

oh trust me i know.

my last girlfriend before i met my wife was worse.  she hated the hobby, hated my "stupid screaming metal deathtrap of a truck" hated my motor cycle lol... it was bad. didnt last long either.

but enough about the women...
Old 09-26-2010, 12:03 PM
joseywales

Get the kit. See for your self,it's an easy kit to build. If you built planes ,this will be a breeze for you. I'm doing up a scratch build JAE.12. I have the kit and using it as a template to make the very light version JAE.12. Zippkits won't be making that version until spring and I'm not going to wait that long. So I'm building it now. I'm hooked on these riggers. If you want a fast boat,riggers are the number 1 ticket for fast speeds. On the other hand the wife is trying to accpet liking riggers. She's a big untlimited hydro fan.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:30 PM
andybenton

who knows. still like to explore options at this point. ill have all winter haha

Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 PM
toyotatruckin

before we bought our house a few years ago I had no shop or anyplace to really build much of anything, you know how bad it will tick off a wife having a scroll saw cutting out parts in the kitchen floor lol, even better than that they will leave the house when your dipping a carb on the kitchen counter AND I wont recommend dragging an air-hose through the house and porting/polishing a set of SBC heads on the kitchen table (HUGE MESS) but kits like a JAE or Whiplash arnt to bad and the mess can be minimal, lol if you live in an apartment you could always go into the hallway about 2-3am and sand it 3 doors down in front of that neighbors door you dont like!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Mike, try firing up a nitro motor in the basement some time! Boy, I'll never do that again! Thought I'd do it while the other half was gone but they sure do smoke up a house really quick. Ain't too good for ya either.......
Old 09-26-2010, 01:37 PM
joseywales

Well she did at 4:00 am ,when she lived with her aunts place. Had a guy upstairs that would throw parties from 1:00 -5:30am on the weekends. Just say people there wasn't to happy about it and the landlord wouldn't do jack about it. So she came up with an idea on firing up two .21's at 4:00am to get back at the guy since he'd lived above misshydro and her aunt. She warned neibors about what she's going to do. Got everyone's blessings to do it. It worked. lol... haaaa the smell of nitro at 4:00am in the morning was good. Ok on the JAE parts are lazer cut,so all you have to do is push the parts out and do alittle sanding on them. Not to much to cut. I got the kit wright here. I can post pics of it. If you want to see what the kits looks like?
Old 09-26-2010, 02:47 PM
toyotatruckin

jae isn't laser cut, laser cut kits have clean burned edges, die cut kits you get smashed edges on parts, router cut kits are what you get with the JAE
Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

My question is do you really want a rigger or just a standard hydro? For an .18, you could buy a 20 sized Whiplash from Blazer Marine or a Dumas 20 sized Pay'n PAK, both of which are also good options. The Whip is a lazer cut it, the PAK is die cut, both are about 30" long and all you need to build them is a drill with bits, Exacto knives with a fine toothed saw blade and a sander. The only real difference between the two is that the PAK uses mahogany ply for framing while the Whip uses birch. Both are skinned with 1/16" birch plywood, so they are similar in how you would finish them. The Whip would require you to make or buy a cowl from Blazer while the PAK has the parts included to assemble a cowl during the build. The only things you would still need is hardware(stay away from the Dumas hardware kit), a radio set, epoxy and finishing materials.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:59 PM
joseywales

Ya get a dumas kit.. half of it got poor quality wood=mohogany. All the frame work is made from it. There mohogany if not carefull will flake=come apart. The whipkits are 90.00 for a sport20 kit. If you want an easy kit and a boat that can toast the boats he listed? Get a JAE.12 or.21. But its up to you what you want. We're straped on the cash dept and the JAE for the price and budget and for the speeds was the winner in our book.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

I gave alternatives, not arguements. Not everyone wants a rigger
Old 09-26-2010, 04:14 PM
joseywales

You mentioned Dumas kits. You didn't inform him the negtives about Dumas kits. If I remember wright ? You said the samething about there wood in there kits too? Thats why you made your own frame work. Plus he can't do alot of cutting at his apartment,remember his wife.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

What am I building, a play boat or a race boat? If I was building a play boat, I wouldn't be reworking a kit, just lightening up what came in it. My boats are all built to race, hense the rekitting with birch plywood. A properly built kit would be fine for a play boat
Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 PM
amax

JW are you getting kick backs for pushing the JAE?? Your worse than a used car salesman,,[&:] Get off the Soap Box Dude!!
The JAE is a nice kit for a Rigger but it's still a Rigger, and it ain't perfect. A rigger is an Extremely fast boat,,, In The Right Conditions, IF you have it set up right and IF You can handle that kinda speed,,, But Don't Hit ANYTHING[:@] with it or your back to the work bench for Repairs.[&:]
A well built Sport Hydro will handle much more adverse weather\wind conditions than a rigger will and can take Much more of a beating than a rigger can Hands Down.[:-]
Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 PM
joseywales

You hit anything with any boat,you will be on the work bench fixing it. As for sport hydro handling more advers wind conditions? I've see riggers handle better then sport hydro's. Don't think sport hydro could handle these chops. Like these riggers in the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96355.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1507264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76541.jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1507265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58750.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1507266  
Old 09-26-2010, 08:46 PM
amax

LOL,, OK,, Let me see you Try this in a JEA rigger.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMywcEWdZ0E&feature=related[/youtube]

And She didn't need to go back to the bench.

And I said a Well Built Sport Hydro,,, Not a Pro Boat..
Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 PM
joseywales

well I have dealing with 15-20 mhp winds on this video run. Lost my plane at 3/4,but recovered it. Found out I'd hit a weed patch. Here's Rod Garaghty pm he sent to my wife on INTLWATERS Rods quotes)It is lookin' pretty darn good.......It really handles the nasty water well....this will be a great heat racing points boat....
The motor is right on the edge of really stepping up to some big time rpm......also the more you run it
the better it will get.......Amax ,you shouldv'e seen the water on sunday at hobart. very choppy and the riggers performed well there. I'm not doughting the sporthydro,but don't discount the riggers. On the other hand the wife likes the sport and unlimited hydro's..Me I'm on the darkside=riggers The JAE are based off the jap's riggers. Those boys play in rough waters like the two in the pics are off shore racers.This pic of phil thomas sport20 proubley be the wifes nexted boat in her fleet[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kz8l51g7dY&feature=channel[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95181.jpg
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1507300  
Old 09-26-2010, 09:35 PM
andybenton

i really appriciate the comments and help guys.    im really giving the rigger some serouis thought. i have wanted one for some time now.

im thinking i could probably get the rigger, and just the major appoxy work outside on our porch.... the last time i tried to coat a boat in a finishing epoxy, it went really poorly haha. put it on way too thick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.