Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Need help/advice

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
xoibsurferx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help/advice

I havethe Aquacraft Supervee 27 Nitro and I'm running the Grimracer 40X52/3 prop. The boat ran great with the prop right out of the package but I tried to sharpen it and I think something I did messed it up. I would try balancing but I don't have a balancer. The leading edge is pretty sharp and I didn't sharpen any other parts. I used sandpaper to sharpen the prop and then used 220 grit to get the slight scratched out and a dremel tool and some car wax to attempt to polish it.

When I run the boat now it seems fine at first and after about three laps it slows down and seems like its not hardly going anywhere and then the water quits cooling the engine so I shut it off and fish it out with the fishing pole. Any ideas on why its doing this and what I can do to correct it?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Default RE: Need help/advice

ORIGINAL: xoibsurferx

I have the Aquacraft Supervee 27 Nitro and I'm running the Grimracer 40X52/3 prop. The boat ran great with the prop right out of the package but I tried to sharpen it and I think something I did messed it up. I would try balancing but I don't have a balancer. The leading edge is pretty sharp and I didn't sharpen any other parts. I used sandpaper to sharpen the prop and then used 220 grit to get the slight scratched out and a dremel tool and some car wax to attempt to polish it.

When I run the boat now it seems fine at first and after about three laps it slows down and seems like its not hardly going anywhere and then the water quits cooling the engine so I shut it off and fish it out with the fishing pole. Any ideas on why its doing this and what I can do to correct it?

This sounds like you are running the engine too lean. Richen the high speed needle a 1/2 turn. Also, you really don't want a prop to be polished too smooth. I'd suggest using 400 wet/dry and sand the prop.

JD
Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 PM
xoibsurferx

I'll try richening up the mixture and sanding the prop down with 400 grit wet sandpaper and see if anything changes. I'm not exactly sure what cavitation looks like since I'veneverexperianced itbut someone told me it could be doing that. It seems like for the first few laps it runs great (way faster than before I sharpened the prop) but it begins to loose speed and seems like the prop is spinning a lot but the boat isn't going anywhere really fast even when I give it more throttle. At this time I shut it off so I don't overheat it since its not going fast enough to get water through it to cool the engine.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:47 PM
advanced builder

You can make a balance with razor blades & a shaft, Old school but free
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 PM
res3567

Check your cylinder head bolts and make sure they are not loose. Also is there any debris caught on the prop or rudder when you pull it out of the water?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 PM
xoibsurferx

I'll check the cylinder head bolts. After three tanks of fuel ran through it when I first got the boat the cylinder head was loose so I'll definitely re-check it, and yes there were leaves caught on the rudder and turn fins and one time caught on the transom water pick up. Could that make it do what its doing?

Also the water was very smooth and when it got going fast on the first lap the bow kept hopping. What can I do to fix that?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 PM
res3567

Yes. I have a SV and a Miss Vegas. When I first got my SV....I had the same symptoms...and found out my head bolts were loose. Tightened them up...and no more issues. I have been running my Miss Vegas for the last three days....and because of the design of the hull, and the condition of my pond...I have been catching a lot of debris and it slows my boat down....sometimes slighty, other times real bad.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 AM
xoibsurferx

I guess they don't tighten the bolts enough in the factory.

Does your boats actually go to the point of not wanting to go anywhere at all with the debris? Mine either went very very slow or almost stopped. Both times it wouldn't want to steer if any it would go right and not left.

I'm hopefully going to try going somewhere thats not as leafy today and see if anything changes with it.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 AM
amax

Yes weeds will slow you down A Lot depending on what they catch on, anything the gets on the strut in front of the prop Disrupts water flow to the prop and causes Slipping.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 AM
tnltyme

ORIGINAL: xoibsurferx

I guess they don't tighten the bolts enough in the factory.

Does your boats actually go to the point of not wanting to go anywhere at all with the debris? Mine either went very very slow or almost stopped. Both times it wouldn't want to steer if any it would go right and not left.

I'm hopefully going to try going somewhere thats not as leafy today and see if anything changes with it.

Loctite them......
Old 10-19-2010, 10:06 AM
siberianhusky

Check them regularly, heat cycles and vibration will loosen everything, Only loctite them if they are hex or allen, you'll bugger them up if they are philips, I upgrade all my engines this way, easier to loosen and torque properly, no slippage! See alot of engines that are hex on the head and philips on the backplate. Last month my rigger started acting up, turned out to be a loose backplate screw causing it to run lean. Check them all!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Locktite is a must,THE BLUE LOCKTITE. Using red locktite is asking to destroy an engine as it requires heat to break bolts/screws loose that were treated with it.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:10 PM
advanced builder

Yes on the Blue Locktight ,I use heat to remove the small setscrew on the dog drive. I use the blue with no problems.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM
xoibsurferx

Thats not a bad idea. I guess the screws that come stock with the boat just aren't completely designed for all the heat cycles and vibration.

The boat hasn't been caught on weeds on leaf's. Sometimes a leaf was caught on the water pickup and others it was on the turn fins or rudder.

Also the water was really smooth and when the boat did get going really good the bow kept bouncing up and down. What can I do to correct that? Change the position of the rudder and drive shaft angle? They're both just a tad positive right now.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'd start with the prop, maybe shallow it up a touch first and then maybe go slightly negative
Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 PM
res3567

Bend the trim tabs down until the bouncing stops. Better yet........try these adjustable trim tabsfrom Offshore Electronics. Once again I had the same issue with mine when I first got her.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=ose-tab1015

Also...if you want a quiter boat....check this out from Tower Hobbies

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWPL9&P=Z

It will fit with some modification. If you decide to get it...get back with me and I will show how to make it fit perfectly. I did not realize how loud the stock pipe was untill I got this.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:39 AM
siberianhusky

Thats an alright pipe, really heavy though, weighs more than a K&B 7.5 pipe, I was very surprised at how thick the aluminum is on that thing!
Very quiet though.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:32 AM
xoibsurferx

I'll try bending down the trim tabs a tad and adjust the prop angle some.

I actually kind of like the loudness. I heard MAC pipes are good.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 PM
res3567

Mac pipes are excellent...but louder. I live in front of a man made pond with a walkway...so I have to be considerate of the noise levels since there are other houses in the area as well. I plan on getting one for my Miss Vegas...but my SV will be the one I can crank up and run anywere....and at anytime. Do the trim tabs adjustments and that sure cure your "porpoising".
Old 10-21-2010, 01:26 AM
xoibsurferx

Would the MAC 1324 work well with the SV?

I'm hoping to get on the lake tomorrow to see if anything changes with the problem I was having and try adjusting the trim tabs to stop the bow bouncing.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
res3567

That pipe is "11 1/4" long...........measure the stock pipeand go from there. The SV's hull does notallow for a lot of EASYupgrades because ofthe design......But.......cure your "porpoising" FIRST....before youstart wanting to make her go faster.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Funny thing about the porpoising. Try a smaller prop, really. The handling on mine went out the door when I tried to see how big of a prop the boat would take. I ain't gonna tell you how big we (I should say my son) went as he snuck into dad's box o' props when I wasn't looking.
I tried a lot of props on it and the best handling were under 40mm and no real noticable increase in speed with the larger ones.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:23 AM
xoibsurferx

Problems fixed! Heres a picture of it running. I think it was just acting up because of the leaf's and I bent the turn fins down and it fixed the porposing issue.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:04 PM
advanced builder

I like to run 2 blade on a mono. Just me but I like the bite of the 2 in corners. Good job on the set up.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 PM
res3567

I run the 40X53/3 Grimracer balanced and sharpened on mine. Consider the Offshore Electronics ADJUSTABLE trim tabs....I aint had a single problem since I got em.........My boat runs awesome..... If you want to run a two blade....the 42/55 Grimracer balanced and sharpened shoulddo the trick....Ihave not tried ityet...but that is my next"upgrade".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.