Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

tMiss Budweiser Repair Process w/pics

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

tMiss Budweiser Repair Process w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Johnwhite84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tMiss Budweiser Repair Process w/pics

Well after hitting somthing in the water and tearing out my turn fin I have decided to hold off on buying a Miss Vegas D and see how much I can pull out of my Miss Budweiser. I have chosen to cut a portion of the runner out of the boat to gain access to the inside of the Front Right Sponson. This is where the original Damage took place. As you can see from the picture the hull is very very thin and one little slip of the dremel and OOPS! theres another hole in my boat.

In order to save weight on the rear of the boat I went against everything I beleive in and started cutting. I dont beleive the wing on the miss bud DID very much to keep the front up. Especially since it was not adjustible.

While I was hacking away at my boat I decided more air flow and less resistance was needed and cut out the plastic baffel on the scoop.

Since all original value is lost I am removing the BUDWEISER stickers, sanding and smoothing the entire boat, and painting her..... maybe black. Havnt decided yet.

ADVICE????? Should I use a SINGLE stage paint or a BASE COAT CLEAR COAT paint. Also does it matter if it is acrilic or enamel etc... Basically just to make sure it will be nitro resistent. Also any tips are more then welcome.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:16 PM
amax

Default RE: tMiss Budweiser Repair Process w/pics

Looks like your going in the right direction, try to keep repairs as light as possible. If your working from the inside, loosely cover the hole on the outside with masking tape it will peal right off AFTER the epoxy or polyester resin has dried Completely. Clean all areas your repairing with Lacquer Thinner or alcohol thoroughly First.

The Rear Wing is actually Supposed to Lift the Transom and Push the Bow Down(on the Real Hydros) but is pretty much Non Functional on these boats, and removing them will help get the CG closer to right.
Removing the cup in the scoop is one of the first things I do It Does Help A Lot, I also remove the Silver Exhaust Cover on the back to allow more air flow Out.

As far as Paint I recommend Base\Clear Urethane, it will stand up to pretty much anything you will get on it in this application. Nason(made by Dupont) is one of the cheaper brands and more than adequate for R\C Boat use.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Johnwhite84

I am very glad you confirmed my suspicions with the miss buds about having a "non functional wing". If I had a Vegas or similar hydro I would not dare mess with the spoiler.

As the turn fin is concerned I plan on placing 1 sheet of glass over the hole from the inside. Then placing the back plate of the turn fin behind the first sheet and sandwiching it in another sheet. ( glass, back plate, glass ) after all is dried, finish out the outside of the sponson to cosmetic perfection.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 PM
amax

Actually the rear wing on the Vegas is Useless also, both boats are very Tail Heavy and performe much better without them.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Johnwhite84

Have you experimented with battery position? For example placing a 5cell pack up by the engine or fuel tank? Possible somthing smaller like switching the receiver in back and the batterys in front? I usually just use 4AA for my servos for play as they last a long time and seem to FIT better in the dry box.

Another question: The two lateral supports, one that connect the nose of the sponsons together and the other that run from the sponson to the "driver compartment". Are both of these neccesary or can i remove one or both of them. I know they give the boat strength but do they cause unwanted lift or excess weight? Let me know if you are unsure what exactly im talking about and ill point them out in a picture.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:34 PM
amax

You mean something like THIS..

and made a New engine mount to move the engine forward

Far enough to use an Octura Flex Coupler

Moved Steering Servo Forward and used Mini for Throttle

Yea I've done that and then some I liked the LOOK of the rear wing so I left the Verticals intact and just removed the Horizontal. I also installed an Adjustable Strut and Breakaway Rudder and Turn Fin. Every bit of it Helped Performance at High Speeds but it was Still Touchy going into the wind at 45mph. The rear of the boat is where you need to concentrate on weight Removal not the Front, You can Reshape the front lateral wings to apply more Down Force to help keep the bow down, but I definitely wouldn't remove them. Also the 4-AA batteries weigh almost the same as the 5 Sub C double Hump Pack within a couple Grams but the 5 cell pack is 6volt for more servo power and speed and is Rechargeable so you save money and the environment.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:35 PM
advanced builder

good post, Amax looks good on the rebuild. I like to add threaded inserts or t-nuts to the wooden patch . Leave a old bolt inside the t-nuts until glass has cured. use the turn fin bracket as a template. I'm not sure how much room you have to work with. gotta be tight with them little hulls.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

"Looks like your going in the right direction, try to keep repairs as light as possible. If your working from the inside, loosely cover the hole on the outside with masking tape it will peal right off AFTER the epoxy or polyester resin has dried Completely. Clean all areas your repairing with Lacquer Thinner or alcohol thoroughly First.

The Rear Wing is actually Supposed to Lift the Transom and Push the Bow Down(on the Real Hydros) but is pretty much Non Functional on these boats, and removing them will help get the CG closer to right."

Sorry Amax, but that is far from correct. If you look at the 8255 hull, there was no wing or tails at all for the first several years it ran. To take it one step further, no boat prior to the 7325 even had a wing used, period. THE WING IS USED ONLY TO FINE TUNE THE RIDE OF THE BOAT, NOT SUPPORT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The rear of the boat is supported by the prop and air pressure under the boat and is the main reason that I tell everyone to keep as much weight out of the boats rear as possible. The front wing is used to control the boat's front end to keep the sponsons either on the water(in the straights) or keep them from digging in (in the corners) on the full sized boats. On a 1/8th scale boat, the wing and canard ARE FULLY FUNCTIONAL as to effecting the boat's ride and a bump to either WILL AFFECT HOW THE BOAT RIDES. I don't know where the myths about the use of the wings came from, but it had to be from someone that had no clue as to how a hydroplane works
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM
amax

LOL HJ your saying the Same Thing I did but with A Lot more Words
I never said the rear wing "Supported" the transom, I said it was used to Lift but I guess I should have said "Add" Lift to fine tune, I Sure don't see a reason to Push the Transom Down then your fighting against the prop and adding Drag. Yea on a larger scale boat with an engine that has more power you can get more use of the wings(or Whatever the hell you want to call them) But on THESE Particular Hulls your better off without it because All It's Doing is adding Weight to the transom.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 PM
misshydro

I'd made light weight tailfins and horizontal wing for my EX miss bud=now Oberto.21.. I took out those motor compartment side walls too. Junk ply. water in to the ply and those motor fasener bolts,became rustedup and by unbolting them striped out the plywood walls.. Made solid wooden motor mounts with brass screw inserts for the motor to bolt into. Used Miss vegas adjustable strut setup and rudder too. Keeped my silver exaust tube to help keep the water spray away from my radio box. Wouldve posted sooner but I've been at cincy for 4 day at a confrence.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Johnwhite84

Can you post more info and or pictures on the elimination of the runners? Mine work just fine but are rusted on the inside. Also, was that a custom paint job to become an oberta?

The adjustable strut is somthing I'm very interested in. What setup did you use?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Johnwhite84

Amax, can you give me the specs on the Octura coupler? I went to their website and saw many different sizes.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 PM
misshydro

The adjustable strut bracket I'd made. Very easy to do. You also want to didtch the rear triples/rear wings on the rear sides. There nothing but more drag to your boat. Yes its a custom paint job that I'd done. Had my local graphic/sign shop made the decials for me. I got two 1/12 Oberto's and joe has the 1/8 mod proboat Oberto GAS. Both pic was taken this year at Madison IN race and its on missmadison.com website. second pic was with Steve David and Kayleigh Perkins .Both boats in the pics have folding tailfins and working rear wing and front spoiler. The 1/12 U-1 I did the sponson runners like the real one has.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Hydro Junkie

Misshydro, what is a triple? According to Webster's Online Dictionary, a triple is defined as:
Adjective
1. Having three units or components or elements; "overcrowding made triple sessions necessary"; "triple time has three beats per measure"; "triplex windows".[Wordnet]
2. Three times as great or many; "a claim for treble (or triple) damages".[Wordnet]
3. Consisting of three united; multiplied by three; threefold; as, a triple knot; a triple tie.[Websters]
4. Three times repeated; treble.[Websters]
5. One of three; third.[Websters]
6. To make threefold, or thrice as much or as many; to treble; as, to triple the tax on coffee.[Websters]
7. Being treble, threefold, ternary, three-ply or three-fold. [Eve - graph theoretic]
8. Being multiple or manifold. [Eve - graph theoretic]
9. Being double or dual. [Eve - graph theoretic]
10. Adjective base of the adverb triply.[Eve - graph theoretic]
Adverb Form
(triply)
1. In a triple manner.[Websters].
2. In a threefold manner.[Eve - graph theoretic]
3. In a triangular or trilateral manner.[Eve - graph theoretic]
4. In a ternate manner.[Eve - graph theoretic]
5. Infrequently used adverbial inflection of the adjective triple.[Eve - graph theoretic]
Noun
1. A base hit at which the batter stops safely at third base.[Wordnet]
2. A set of three similar things considered as a unit.[Wordnet]
3. A quantity that is three times as great as another.[Wordnet].
Verb 1. Increase threefold; "Triple your income!".[Wordnet]
2. Hit a three-base hit.[Wordnet]
3. Base verb from the following inflections: tripling, tripled, triples, tripler, triplers, triplingly and tripledly.[Eve - graph theoretic]

Nowhere is a triple listed as a small winglet on the sides of a hydroplane. That winglet is called a TIPLET
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 AM
amax

ORIGINAL: Johnwhite84

Amax, can you give me the specs on the Octura coupler? I went to their website and saw many different sizes.
John with the Stock Dyn .15 engine you need a Octura Y535 prop, I don't think the .15 will turn a M435\3 without some modification and at least 40%Nitro Fuel. But those are the 2 standard Upgrades for that Hull.
If you upgrade the engine to a Strong .18 with at least 40% fuel and an adjustable strut with a 3\16" stub shaft (not the stock 1\8" shaft) you can turn the X437\3 Prop.

The Octura Flex Hex Coupler is [link=http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfh5mm15]5mm Threaded x .150(cable) #OCFH5MM15[/link] the pic in This Link "Shows" the Set Screw Version for electric but the actual Nitro Engine Coupler is Threaded, they just have the wrong Pic Up.

That coupler will only fit if you move the engine forward A Lot, The OCFH5mm15S is a little Shorter(and harder to find) but you will probably need to move the engine a Little bit to make it fit. You will also need to go to a Sullivan Soft Side 6oz Fuel Tank to get it further up in the nose of the boat for clearance.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Misshydro, what is a triple? According to Webster's Online Dictionary, a triple is defined as:
Adjective
1. Having three units or components or elements; ''overcrowding made triple sessions necessary''; ''triple time has three beats per measure''; ''triplex windows''.[Wordnet]
2. Three times as great or many; ''a claim for treble (or triple) damages''.[Wordnet]
3. Consisting of three united; multiplied by three; threefold; as, a triple knot; a triple tie.[Websters]
4. Three times repeated; treble.[Websters]
5. One of three; third.[Websters]
6. To make threefold, or thrice as much or as many; to treble; as, to triple the tax on coffee.[Websters]
7. Being treble, threefold, ternary, three-ply or three-fold. [Eve - graph theoretic]
8. Being multiple or manifold. [Eve - graph theoretic]
9. Being double or dual. [Eve - graph theoretic]
10. Adjective base of the adverb triply.[Eve - graph theoretic]
Adverb Form
(triply)
1. In a triple manner.[Websters].
2. In a threefold manner.[Eve - graph theoretic]
3. In a triangular or trilateral manner.[Eve - graph theoretic]
4. In a ternate manner.[Eve - graph theoretic]
5. Infrequently used adverbial inflection of the adjective triple.[Eve - graph theoretic]
Noun
1. A base hit at which the batter stops safely at third base.[Wordnet]
2. A set of three similar things considered as a unit.[Wordnet]
3. A quantity that is three times as great as another.[Wordnet].
Verb 1. Increase threefold; ''Triple your income!''.[Wordnet]
2. Hit a three-base hit.[Wordnet]
3. Base verb from the following inflections: tripling, tripled, triples, tripler, triplers, triplingly and tripledly.[Eve - graph theoretic]

Nowhere is a triple listed as a small winglet on the sides of a hydroplane. That winglet is called a TIPLET
WHAT
Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Hydro Junkie

ORIGINAL: amax

LOL HJ your saying the Same Thing I did but with A Lot more Words
I never said the rear wing ''Supported'' the transom, I said it was used to Lift but I guess I should have said ''Add'' Lift to fine tune, I Sure don't see a reason to Push the Transom Down then your fighting against the prop and adding Drag. Yea on a larger scale boat with an engine that has more power you can get more use of the wings(or Whatever the hell you want to call them) But on THESE Particular Hulls your better off without it because All It's Doing is adding Weight to the transom.
No argument on that. With these little Pro Boat hydros, they don't get going fast enough to make that much difference. With the thickness of the tails and wing, they are more like parachutes than aerodynamic aids and, with the small surface area of the wing, unless the rear is dropped by at least 10+ degrees, the lift it provides, if any at all, is totally ineffective
Old 11-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Johnwhite84

Hydro junkie went to great lengths to point out a spelling error.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Johnwhite84

Hydro Junkie, so your saying since I am already hacking away I should remove the "Triples"? Lol I mean Triplet. Also when I reshape the tail after removing the triplets should I round the top portion or just square it off?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Hydro Junkie

In the case of your boat, its your call. If it was MY boat, I'd remove the tiplets, shape the deck edge to match the rest of the hull side and make light weight tails and wings with hardmounts to secure them to. Then again, I'm a scale kind of builder so a turbine hull without a set of tails and wing is just wrong. I guess that's why I take a while to build a boat, I want it perfect
Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM
amax

You will add more weight with the repair from trying to remove the Tiplets IMO, If you want one Without Tiplets get a Formula Hull and put your parts in it.
And yea I Prefer The Scale Look of the rear wing, But if your trying to make This Hull perform it's better off Without It.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

That's why I said "If it was my boat"
Then again, it's also the reason I scratch build bigger boats
Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM
amax

Oh I'm Guiltier than Most when it comes to Modifying These into something they will never be when it would have been Much Easier and Productive to get a good set of planes or a Kit and build one that Will do what I want. I did manage to get one running consistent Mid 40's and stay On the water Most the time,,,On the pond by Itself..LOL,, But after it's last double back flip I moved on to a hull that would handle it Much Better. But She will still do the occasional Back Flip on a windy day, when ya run Loose "It Happens" the difference is Miss A can take The Flippin and Keep On Kickin!!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Johnwhite84

IS miss attitude a kit? Personal creation you dubbed miss A, or an actual rtr that has since been forgotten? I do enjoy your videos of miss A (ESP with the go motors) and always wondered about that boat.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 PM
amax

There is A VERY LONG STORY behind that boat Most of which I can not mention here on RCU. Mine was one of the first hulls produced and the Prototype I Built for the RTR .18 Hydro, But due to circumstances beyond My control and someone else's Bad Rep it never made it to full production. If she would have she would DOMINATE all other RTR .18 Hydros on the track,,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.