Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Want to try boats need advice

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Want to try boats need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:15 PM
nitroholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to try boats need advice

hi i'm into cars and trucks all nitro powered have several.I want to try boats.This will be my 1st.I want something fast but not like my 4-tec 3.3 onroad,that is to extreme.What do you'll suggest for a beginner,fast but not crazy fast for around $400 to $500? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Want to try boats need advice

Now that depends on what kind of water you have to run on and what kind of driving you like to do. If you want fast and and have calm water, a Miss Vegas might be the way to go. If you have rougher water or want to drive slower, a Aquacraft vee might be a good place to start
Old 11-13-2010, 12:11 AM
nitroholic

Thanks.I wonder what the top speed is of the mss vegas is.Cause i would be on a lake,and calm no wind,like at sunset.Not dark but where the water looks like glass.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Hydro Junkie

Vegas runs into the 30's, so it's not super fast. There are clubs across the country that race them as well, if racing is your ultimate goal
Old 11-13-2010, 02:59 AM
toyotatruckin

miss vegas, low to mid 30's stock, mid to lower 40's with a good pipe, aftermarket prop, and well set-up, mid to upper 40s with all that PLUS a CVR-M, mid 40s to upper 40s with a modified TZ and on a real good day with a boat well in tune on that set-up low 50's dont expect that being new to boating but is doable, the vegas will handle a little chop not much infact when the water surface isnt glass smooth the boat will air out a little better.
the speed your getting with the 3.3 4tec will cost a bunch of cash and some experience in boating, BUT 35 on water will seem much faster than 35 on land-

If you have a bigger lake and want a boat that will handle rougher water and a little easier to tune check out wharehouse hobbies they sell a gator kit(gas) just about ready to go for around 600$ lots of fun reliable (less retrieving a dead boat) and decent speed for a fun boat (not a racer) hit the sale section here in RCU there is usually at least one or two enforcer boats for sale most of the time
Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Hydro Junkie

Now Yota, I was talking a stock boat, not with all the mods. I didn't want his head spinning right out of the gate[X(]
Old 11-13-2010, 09:12 AM
misshydro

If you want to do 50+ this boat would be your best bet. needs RX and TX.[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=690626[/link]..but again gas is cheaper to run then nitro.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:50 PM
nitroholic

Thanks for all the advice folks.Greatly appreciated.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:30 PM
siberianhusky

A nice mono makes a good first boat, not quite as sensitive to water conditions, If a stock vegas is only running 30ish I think my wildthing is faster and can handle some pretty rough water. It could keep up with a SV27 electric with a 2300kv motor in fairly choppy conditions today. Each boat ended up upside down once. No way could I have run my rigger in those conditions.
Well under 100$ air cooled buggy engine in it, really easy boat to build from plan if you like that sort of thing.
Rough water is a subjective thing a 3-4" wave is huge to a 25" boat!
There are a couple of pics I posted of it today flying along right out of the water, in one shot you can see all the hardware completely clear of the water!
I posted a video of Johns SV running today in the electric section, I could keep up with him, that gives you a bit of an idea of how fast it is. I have no idea nor do I really care how fast in mph it does, never been worried always went by the saying "to finish first first you have to finish". I'm pretty sure Johns SV with his 2300kv 4s setup easily clears 30 though!
Thats a bone stock engine and home made hardware, less radio it cost me about 130$ absolute tops to build including engine. 19$ in 1/16 plywood and a few scraps of oak and pine I had hanging around! Still have a a piece of the 25"x25" sheet of plywood left.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

Some of you need to go back and read his first post, but for a reminder, he said:
What do you'll suggest for a beginner,fast but not crazy fast for around $400 to $500? Thanks.
Sounds to me like 50+ for top speed or being faster than something else weren't in the equasion
Old 11-13-2010, 09:59 PM
toyotatruckin

Ill agree with husky that the wildthing monos are nice running boats and cheap to build up, not to much in the way of parts count either, IF you wanted to go that route or just check out a set of plans for a future project I have them on my site in PDF free to download ( tiled plans)
http://www.aircapitolhobbies.com/Plans_and_Info.html
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM
misshydro

ORIGINAL: toyotatruckin

Ill agree with husky that the wildthing monos are nice running boats and cheap to build up, not to much in the way of parts count either, IF you wanted to go that route or just check out a set of plans for a future project I have them on my site in PDF free to download ( tiled plans)
http://www.aircapitolhobbies.com/Plans_and_Info.html
You could also build the JAE.12 rigger too. Since these boat can use nitro car engines in them. Very easy to build too. Kits are 60.00. If you follow the instrutions wright. These riggers will hall***.[link]http://zippkits.com/[/link]
Old 11-29-2010, 06:00 PM
ib-dick

:-) testing something, please disregard....
Old 11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
ib-dick

testing again.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:05 PM
ib-dick

and again.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 PM
hgentry