Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

getting back in it

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

getting back in it

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Strecker25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting back in it

Hey guys, its been a long time since Ive thought about rc boats but this weekend we got out an old prather fun cruiser and it sparked my interest again,

I have a 90% complete Dumas Miller American 1/8 scale hydro sitting here. Its ready for paint, but I dont have hardware or a powerplant yet. This boat would strictly be for fun, and im really not worried about it getting a ton of speed (although beating my dads fun cruiser would be nice). My question is, whats the best (**Cheapest) way of getting this thing in the water? I know speedmaster still makes hardware, and I looked at the acutech stuff.

I would absolutely love to go with a gas motor, but i dont think a g26 or even g23 will fit between the rails in this boat (5.5"), if I have to go nitro...whats the best bet nowadays? I had an ops .67 that I sold a while back but im not sure if theyre considered good motors anymore. Unfortunately my nitro marine days involve a traxxas nitro vee and horror stories.

I appreciate anyones input, id love to get it in the water once before the end of this summer.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: getting back in it

A gas engine will fit between the rails as they're set up for 5" mounts but I wouldn't do it. Others have tried unsuccessfully to pull it off. What few .67's that are still around aren't cheap new. Shop eBay for good used ones. The hot ones seem to be CMB's and Picco's but the price tags will give you sticker shock.
At least you're looking at good hardware as Speedmaster and Accu-Tech both make good stuff.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Strecker25

im noticing there's very little left in the .67 range...kinda a shame if that market has faded so badly.

i re measured the rails, theyre 4.5" so the gas wouldnt fit anyways. Too bad theres no 20cc or smaller gas engines for marine use availible, seems like thatd be perfect.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Watch the for sale part of the forum and every so often you will see a .67 come up. You can also watch Fleebay if you feel daring. As far as the hardware, I'd go with a Speedmaster left side 67 rudder assembly and strut. For a motor mount, since you're dealing with a narrow engine bay, you either need to buy a 4" mount or make one. I made one for a sport 20 I'm working on using plate aluminum and "Humdinger mount rubber inserts secured through the boat bottom with flat head machine screws. Before you ask, yes, it works and yes, the boat has ran
Old 08-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Strecker25

Yeah im keeping my eyes out. Ive also bounced around the idea of going brushless, but its just as expensive it looks like if not more. How about a .65-.7 airplane engine? The cowling on the miller is open, and I can fabricate water cooling for the head if necessary. The OS i looked at quick makes 2.2 BHP at 15,600 RPM, I just dont know if theres enough there to get a hydro this size moving.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Strecker25

Yeah im keeping my eyes out. Ive also bounced around the idea of going brushless, but its just as expensive it looks like if not more. How about a .65-.7 airplane engine? The cowling on the miller is open, and I can fabricate water cooling for the head if necessary. The OS i looked at quick makes 2.2 BHP at 15,600 RPM, I just dont know if theres enough there to get a hydro this size moving.

Thanks again for the replies.
There won't be enough power for that hull using an airplane engine. The only airplane engines that would work would be converted ducted-fan engines. You could also use a .81 marine engine like the O.S. or K&B. Who knows, you may find that size first on e-bay.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Strecker25

Got it, ill keep my eye out. I guess I'm going to keep an open mind and look into electric too, just seems like its more pricey to get the equivalent speed from it as opposed to a nitro powerplant.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Strecker25

Got it, ill keep my eye out. I guess I'm going to keep an open mind and look into electric too, just seems like its more pricey to get the equivalent speed from it as opposed to a nitro powerplant.
I know nothing about electric, but a 1/8 hydro would need some good power to get on plane, so it makes sense that it would be quite expensive.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Sport40II

If you can't find a good used one, I do highly recommend the Picco and CMB.  The only dealer for the Picco is Hallam Marine Hobby in Canada.  I purchased a .45R from him.  Here is what I will be racing in a few more days.