Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

running out of fuel

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

running out of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 02:10 PM
beeftip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running out of fuel

I don't have a boat, but I'm thinking of getting one. Here's a thought that popped into my head. What do you do if you run out of fuel and your boat is sitting in the middle of the lake? I guess you go swimming, but I'm wondering how often this happens. Being completely new to R/C and boats in particular, I could see myself doing this. In fact, I know I'll do it. What's the best way to prevent this? I think I'm going to trade in one of the English Setters for a Labrador Retriever just in case this happens.

Laugh all you want. I'd rather look stupid here than on the lake.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: running out of fuel

Having to go out and get your boat happens often. Out of fuel, bad turn(flip), burned plug, engine just stopped, radio quit, hit something, many reasons that would cause you to go out to get it. Get a rod and reel, with a tennis ball tied to it(works well if it is not out too for. Also some type of boat or raft that can get you to it. Some days you may have to go get it a 100 times, somedays it gets back to the dock without any trouble. The lower preformance engines have less trouble than the ones that are pushed to there limits. Its all about the hobby.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:34 PM
beeftip

I didn't even take into consideration flipping over or equipment malfunction. Jeesh. I can totally picture a day where you have to go fetch your boat a dozen or more times. Think I'll stick to being a landlubber. Thanks for answering my question.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Seabiscuit

I wouldn't get too discouraged.
There are other alternatives to swimming and fishing poles.
Traxxas has a RTS(Return to Shore) on their nitro boats.
It is comprised of an electric motor that begins to run when, not if (because it will happen), the fuel motor dies.
In my case I just wait for the wind to blow it in, but then again I only run on little park sized ponds.
Things could be much worse, just think if you were flying a plane and the same thing happened.
I agree that a catostrophic malfunction with a land craft would be less severe, but there are also less moving parts on a boat to go wrong too.
So, to make a short story long, there are pros and cons with all forms of RC hobbies but like anything else, once you recover you learn and get better.....sometimes....
Old 01-27-2004, 01:27 AM
bill heacock

And most definately put flotation inside your hulls, best flotation out here are called noodles, they are foam toys for kids in pools, Walmart, target, K mart, as soon as the summer season starts they all carry it, Toysareus also carries them. Cheap insurance for a lost boat if it sinks. You can buy yourself an inflatable boat from sea hawk for about $35 they work great, they have three chambers, in case one puntures the other two will keep you afloat.

Bill Heacock
Old 01-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Will Sgarlat

Beeftip!
Kayaks are great retrieval craft, and they're great fun to go out in anyway!
After a while you can estimate how long your tank will last during a normal run. So bring her on home before the tank runs out and refill.
If you keep the model more or less in range of your tennis ball casting fishing rod, you won't have to do any swimming or boating to get it. Try to run the boat in places where the wind will blow it back to you instead of towards the middle of the lake.
Regards,
Will
Old 02-04-2004, 03:49 AM
badrul

You just need an electric boat and fishing line (I used my kid electric boat opeated using 27Mhz...very cheap, used 8 cells rechargable batteries, everytime I need to retrive my nitro speed boat). Just tie the fishing line to the electric boat, go around the stranded boat, make sure the fishing line tangle to the stranded boat propeller/hull/antenna (if flipped)...then retrive them together...so far it works...so..easyy..

Anybody playing Tunnel....Where can I purchase Aeromarine Preditor .21? It is USA made, but nobody selling it here.....
Old 02-18-2004, 01:08 PM
lbobbitt513

make sure if floats on it own first in a pool or sometin. if it sinks at leat it did it hear and you can add more floatation

the inconvienience of dead boats is nothing compared to the fun and thrill of running them. like said some days are good and some are bad.

Ypu can alos get one o those 20 dollar inflatable orange boats. paddle out to get it..

dont worry bout all that, get a boat
Old 02-22-2004, 11:25 PM
ziomatrixacs

why dont you guys use a canu or small boat and float in the middle of the lake and drive it like that. youd get better range i guess
Old 02-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Gear-Head
My Feedback: (2)

Here was my solution,

purchase a cheap ($30) RC electric boat. Attach a string and a bobber (any floating device) with a powerfull magnet on it. Install a small steel plate in the bow of the gas boat. If it dies in the lake buzz up to it with the recovery boat, magnet grabs ahold of the steel plate (My magnet is wrapped in the stuff wet suits are made of (can't think of the name of the stuff right now) so as to not damage my paint and I bring it on home. Works like a charm even in ruff water! Happy boating!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:47 AM
KamPuiWong

Sometime we retrieve our boat this way (see picture).

Usually we use fishing line to retrieve the boat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52774.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	104850