Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

3.5 outboard rigger?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

3.5 outboard rigger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 10:44 PM
toddh
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5 outboard rigger?

I have a outboard rigger that I can not get to come up on plane it just cavitates then jumps out of the water and then starts to cavitate again.I have moved the motor up and down, in and out and it makes no changes in it.I have a c20 prop on it maybe not enough prop?

Todd
Old 04-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: 3.5 outboard rigger?

I have no idea what a C20 prop is. It sounds like the prop is still too high up. If it has the big rear sponsons like the Prather OB 'rigger, they're probably lifting to motor too high out of the water. Just a guess, we don't have any .21 'riggers around here.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:53 PM
toddh

It has rear sponsons on it. Should the prop shaft be lower than the rear sponsons?The cavitation plate is just a little lower than the rear sponsons.As far as what prop it is the only other markings on it are jg on the other side of the c20.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this!!

Todd
Old 04-27-2004, 05:16 AM
Ron Olson

OK, what you have is an old JG prop. From my limited experience with 'riggers so far, the prop shaft should be slightly below the bottom of the sponsons. What you have is mostly a NAMBA/ West Coast boat, not too many seen East of the Mississippi. A non-lifting prop such as an Octura X438 will give you less hassle as it wouldn't cavitate as badly. Hopefully someone with experience with one of these will respond.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:40 PM
toddh

I got a different prop on it and it runs good.That is until the flex shaft broke on the second run.Where is a good place to order parts from that has good service??

Todd
Old 04-29-2004, 04:42 AM
Ron Olson

In Illinois, contact Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst, www.alshobbyshop.com or call Gary Preusse at 630-279-2451.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way that I set up my 3.5 rigger. Remove the turn fin, back off the bolt that holds the strut in position. Place the boat on a flat table, place some 1/4" shims under the rear sponsons. push the strut down to the table until it sits flat on the table(front and rear of the strut should touch the table). Lock the strut in this position. Replace the turn fin.
As for breaking the shaft, make sure that it does not have a bend near the prop stub(if so it will heat up the soider joint and break)
The best prop I have used on my rigger is the USA H10. This is a prop for a high torque high RPM engine. For the lower powered engines, get a octura X442 and round off the tips.
If the CG of your hull is too much on the rear, you may have to set the strut with the front of it a little higher than the rear of it.
The riggers are a very fast boat once they are set up, and handle well. Its just to get them set. When making adjustments, only make one at a time, and very small movements.
Good luck and I hope some of this helps
Old 04-30-2004, 04:39 AM
dirt dummy

ORIGINAL: haljmac

The best way that I set up my 3.5 rigger. Remove the turn fin, back off the bolt that holds the strut in position. Place the boat on a flat table, place some 1/4" shims under the rear sponsons. push the strut down to the table until it sits flat on the table(front and rear of the strut should touch the table). Lock the strut in this position. Replace the turn fin.
As for breaking the shaft, make sure that it does not have a bend near the prop stub(if so it will heat up the soider joint and break)
The best prop I have used on my rigger is the USA H10. This is a prop for a high torque high RPM engine. For the lower powered engines, get a octura X442 and round off the tips.
If the CG of your hull is too much on the rear, you may have to set the strut with the front of it a little higher than the rear of it.
The riggers are a very fast boat once they are set up, and handle well. Its just to get them set. When making adjustments, only make one at a time, and very small movements.
Good luck and I hope some of this helps

Sounds like you are talking about an inboard. His is an out board.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I was talking about an inboard, guess I should have put my eye glasses on. Sorry about that.