Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Help me find a boat.....Please

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Help me find a boat.....Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 11:03 AM
aerotow1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me find a boat.....Please

I have a buddy that is looking for a boat and I haven't touched the boat stuff. I've been around the airplane stuff for 20 plus years, but need some help to recommend a boat to him. He is looking at the Proboat Miss budweiser 1/12...... is this any good. I think he would like something that is RTR. Please give me some input.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 05-13-2004, 02:01 PM
RYANO218

Default RE: Help me find a boat.....Please

The proboat miss bud is a really good boat. There is also the hobbico nitro hammer ready to run nitro. It is a great beginners boat and it has very good speed. I used to have one and i loved it. Plus the price is really good too, only 219.99 on www.towerhobbies.com
Old 05-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan, do your friend a favor and take him or lead him to a local boat racing event in your area. He will be able to see first hand what is available for boats and get some good input from the boaters about boating safety (Most Important), hull types, engine displacement, hull setup and adjustment etc. If you go to the North American Model Boat Association (NAMBA) web site or International Model Power Boat Association (IMPBA) web site, you should be able to find clubs in your area. Don't let him strike out on his own with some of the plastic crap that is offered to unknowing potential boaters.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Square Nozzle

Dan, I see you are from the Northwest. This is the hot bed for R/C Scale Hydro. The most exciting and glamorous aspect of R/C Boat Racing (IMHO). The 1/8 Scale Hydros make the "plastic miss bud" look like a kids toy. You just have to check these guys out. Suggest you check with your LHS for leads. I recall that they broke away from NAMBA some years ago and started a model boat segment of the APBA. Not sure if this is still the case.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend any ProBoat boat on a bet! Too many people get suckered into buying one purely because they are a Miss Bud. First, they are not a beginners boat! Secondly, they are junk!
Old 05-20-2004, 07:02 AM
dirt dummy

they are junk! I second that motion!
Old 05-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Square Nozzle

Dan, Ron and DD, I hope I am not coming off as a real A hole. I just hate to see potential new boaters go out on their own with some of the RTR junk that is on the market today. First off, they typically have no experience with boats, control there of, or an understanding of the potential problems that can lead to safety issues. Boating sites are difficult to find at best. A news article about a "Remote Controlled Boat Injures 10 year old at Local Swimming Area" really puts another nail in our slowly closing coffin. I can't insist, but I do highly recommend that potential boaters seek out a club in their area. Gain from the knowledge of an experienced boater and get started on the right foot.
The proponants of the RTR boats have nothing to loose once they have your money. It bothers me to think that there are boats out there running, who knows where, with unprotected radios. To me it is irresponsible to sell something that has the probability of control loss because the radio gets wet. Again it's the inexperienced boater that's out there on his own, enjoying himself, that will fall into the trap and affect us all.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There is an article in the latest issue of Model Retailer. I need to get my hands on one. An employee of an LHS was telling me about it, saying that too many RTF boats are garbage! I find that pretty ballsy of a magazine to say this but I have to agree. People have to start out somewhere and no boat is perfect. Hobby Shops sell what they can get through their distributors, whether Horizon, Great Planes or whoever.
John, you're not an A hole, too many new boaters haven't a clue as to what they're doing and don't know the safety procedures although most manufacturers do put guidelines in their owners manual. THE LHS's know me and they have given out my phone number to new boaters that need help. I'm far from being a Pro in this hobby but I am willing to help out a Newbie.
Need some other boating sites? I've got them up the Wazoo, just ask.