Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Nitro Vee

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Traxxas Nitro Vee

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Hosemeyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Nitro Vee

I got mine yesterday, I had a heck of a time starting it for a first time, and didn't even get it started until today so that it ran for more than 15 seconds. I broke it in according to the instructions, and then got my cop neighbor to come out and radar gun it. (Drove the cop car home today so he had the gun with him) We clocked it at ~27 mph on a straight away, this thing is very cool, I am very happy with my investment. I have a question, the thing starts quite hard, usually have trouble starting it when it is cold, is there a good way of starting it? Some times it will start right up and others it will not.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:51 AM
911Dispatch

Default RE: Traxxas Nitro Vee

I have a hard time starting the Hammer after it's set for a few days. After I get it started once, I can start it with 1 pull all day. I'm not sure if there is any trick to making it start right up when it's cold. Maybe Ron knows?.............Ron?
Old 08-24-2004, 09:04 PM
the___jester

have you tried to prime it or try a couple of drops of nitro down the carb that is how i start all my engines hope that'll help ya
Old 08-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Somebody call? It's a new boat, things are going to be tight for a while until the motor gets broken in. I have a .16 powered boat that was really cantankerous when new, but now starts with one pull.
Most Nitro motors have a tapered piston sleeve in them so that the piston is tight at TDC. This makes the motor tight until the motor has warmed up, expanding the sleeve.
911, you might be getting a little sludge build-up in yours if you're not putting after-run oil in it. That will make things a little sticky when trying to start a boat that's sat for a few days.
New boats are a pain to get fired the first time. The needles are pre-set at the factory, some are close and others way off. I've bought 2 .12 motors that were a mile off on the carb settings, the low end were too far out making the motors flood constantly. It didn't help either when I found one of the low speed needles was bent. I found out that it was a common problem with this motor.

Small-block boats, not just for kids anymore![8D]
Old 08-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Hosemeyer

Well, I got mine running perfectly, Seems to speed up every run. I also think it may be overheating, should the cylinder head be quite hot, like hot enough to burn you, or is that too hot with these?
Old 08-26-2004, 01:28 AM
911Dispatch

Sounds like your running too lean Hosemeyer if the head is too hot. A test you can do is, drip a droplet of water in the head on the glow plug. If it barley boils, too rich and not getting warm enough - If it boils off immediately like dripping some water on your grill, too lean and running too hot . You want a nice steady boil right in between.

Hey Ron, Mine is not new and it's pretty well broken in too. It's not tight at all when I pull it cold, matter of fact it's very smooth. I just have to pull it about 100 times before it kicks over. I'm thinking it's the glow plug maybe. I use the after-run every time, I put 3 drops in the carb and in 3 in the head. I have the needles set to optimum performance for mine and they were way off too same as that one of yours. I figured that it was just like some lawn mowers that you have to pull awhile till you get it started that first time, then they start right up after they're warm, but evidently not.