Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

I Am Buliding A Boat, Need Some Suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

I Am Buliding A Boat, Need Some Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:01 AM
eas___1990

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I Am Buliding A Boat, Need Some Suggestions

there was the skiper a millionair and his wife movie star proffessor and gilagan here on gillagans isle lol i think that is how it goes...i bet that noise from the motor was gilagan fryin eggs
Old 12-16-2004, 08:55 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

I hate to say this but an EP verses a GP is a BIG difference ....
And , when Ron was talking about fuels , and the ones for cars / planes and boats , he was NOT referring to the nitro content of the fuel , but rather the OIL content . This IS crucial and is VERY important .
Think of it this way ... you can use the SAME engine in a car , in a plane , or in a boat ( meaning same as in swap the engine out and put it in a different vehicle ) , BUT ... when you DO , the engine undergoes different heat ranges and stresses . So ... to accomodate for that , you have to use the correct fuel , with the correct oil pre centage to allow for proper cooling .
Also , when Ron states that he is using 45 - 50 per cent nitro in his ... he is VERY experienced , knows what he is doing and what the risks are . ( but with his expertise , its not a matter of risk , but rather whether or not he goofs ... what he has forgotten , I wish I only knew . )

Again , Ron was talking OIL content in the fuel , NOT the nitro content ( which is the number per centage most refer to , when talking about nitro fuel )
Your 20 per cent is good to start out with .... but could go with say 30 Heli ...

And HYDRO JUNKIE is right .... stick with the 46 for starts and build your way up if you want ....
And like what was said .... flying a plane , driving a buggy and running a boat are ALL different .... even the controls on the Tx ...
And that EP KYOSHO VIPER is more of toy compared to nitros and their speeds they can obtain . ( meant that without sounding like I was insulting you --- sorry if it came out wrong )
The VIPER is basically a toy , whereas a boat with a 46 in it , is not .
And when you said about speeds ...

Wow Wow Wow, HJ i have expeirience building rc stuff, i built a scale cessna with a 7ft wingspan from my own plans, and i race nitro buggys so i have PLENTY of skill controlling stuff at great speeds
I fly ( my fastest ) SHRIKE , whicn does over 100 mph ... and now , there is NO way in Haydes that I would ever claim that I could handle a boat going that fast , nor would I try . ( shoot ... I get wobbly knees doing 60'ish .... LOL )

As was said .... ALL the vehicles can NOT be compared to the other ... they ALL handle TOTALLY different and that applies to their speeds as well .
Now , before I end , I want to make it perfectly clear , that I am NOT insulting you , NOR am I am cutting you down .
When it was said that over-powering is NOT a suggested thing ... HYDRO was correct .

RON OLSON has TONS of experience and I would suggest listening ....( I know I DO ... [8D] )

( and I am not cutting the others experience who posted .... )
Old 12-16-2004, 11:41 AM
kvnnina

That was one of the most perfectly said replies good job terbo
Old 12-19-2004, 08:27 AM
MiniMental

lol, ok ok, guys,. i have nearly finished my hull now! i have a 6 channel radio which i am going to use (instaed of buying a new one), and i am going to have the trim knob on it so i can move my trim tabs without bringing the boat in [8D][sm=punching.gif]
Old 12-19-2004, 10:30 AM
TERBObob

Not saying that we all were not guilty of the same thing , at one time or another , but 6 channel ???? Are you using 72 mhz freq;s ? You DO know that thats for air and not ground , right ?
The TQ3 is good radio that has three channels and by simply adding a pot to the thrid channel , you make it adjustable, rather than on/off scenario , and that way , you will be on a litgit freq for boats . ( you can pick up BRAND new TX, RX , crystals for around $20 on the BAY .... )
Now , again , like I said , we have all probably at one time or another used the "wrong" freq for something , but you gotta remember us guys who fly ... [&o]
( wouldn't want a whip , or shrike or the likes dive-bombing you , or your children , doing a 100+ mph due to loss of control because someone on a lake is running the wrong and possibly same freq , right ?
Enough said about that ... now , any chance of getting s coupld of pics here ?
Would LOVE to see her .
Old 12-19-2004, 10:36 AM
MiniMental

Lol, i'll get pics when i have finisher her, but, its a strang frequency, i dunno which, think its 40mhz or 75 mhz. what you rekon of my trimtab idea
Old 12-19-2004, 10:58 AM
MiniMental

Rite, i have a 600 mAh NiCad in my 6ch TX-- Would a biggar NiCad (say, 2100 mAh) give me more runtime, or just burnout my tx?????, i so, gimme a ideal size, because, 600 mAh doesnt give much runtime, i wanna buy some more nicads so i canswitch em when batt run out
Old 12-19-2004, 11:20 AM
TERBObob

Sorry ... first , I should have viewed that your over in the Uk ... ( not sure which freq's you run there )
Also , when getting new batteries , might I suggest NiMHms rather than NiCads . Reason - the NiCads hold a memeory charge whereas the NiMhims do not . This means that when charging , you have to cycle the Nicads and not the others . Also means , that you can charge the NiMhims WITHOUT worring if they are completely drained first , so you get a full charge . Whether half drained , 3/4 drained , or fully drained , you will get the same amount of usage time from them , whereas with NiCads , you only get what you put i ( and then sometimes not even , )
As far as milliamps ...AWLAYS go with the highest number affordable . Means MORE run time and less chance of worried about dead batteries , or too weak to get taht 1/4 scale servo activated . [&o]
I , myself , use either plain ole alkaline ( non rechargables ) or the NiMhims . I no longer use the NiCads .
Old 12-19-2004, 11:49 AM
MiniMental

where do i get NiMHims?
Old 12-19-2004, 12:22 PM
CMB RS35

MiniMental

You can get all types of rc battery at [link=http://www.modelpower.co.uk]www.modelpower.co.uk[/link]
You will need to use 40Mhz for surface use in the UK. 35Mhz is reserved for air. 27Mhz can be used for either.

The radio controlled Trimtabs have been used on the FSR-V boats for many years. They fit flush within the back of the hull, I assume the ones you want to control are attached to the Transom.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:30 PM
MiniMental

yeh, u in the uk dude? also, i plan on using 75mhz. and yeh, i am gonna attach em to the transom
Old 12-19-2004, 12:40 PM
CMB RS35

ORIGINAL: MiniMental

yeh, u in the uk dude? also, i plan on using 75mhz
Yes I am in the UK.
75 Mhz is not a legal frequency for use in the UK so you shouldn't really be using that equipment here. Please see the [link=http://www.ukrcc.org/]UKRCC[/link] for more information, 75Mhz is for surface in the USA I believe.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:40 PM
MiniMental

ok, i use 75mhz awhen i race my buggy n i aint had no complaints so..., Also, i am using the switch on channel 5 to make a micro servo lock the hatch down-then it cant come off if it flips,-- either that or i use channel 5 to release a mini buoy, ( if it sinks i will be able to find it) Even though the servo and stuff will have to be water proof. but i am installing a waterproof radio box of my own design to stop any radion gear getting wet if it sinks
Old 12-19-2004, 02:03 PM
TERBObob

Although the buoy thing is a good idea , its a MUCH better idea simply to add floatation . ( get yourself some pool noodles , or a couple empty water/pop plastic bottled , empty them out of course , then stuff them inside your hulls bow . ( hold them inplace with something .... rubberbands , a bit of Gorilla glue , some spray expanding foam .... BUT , do NOT use that to fill the bow up for floatation . Too many have literally "popped" the hulls apart using it )

you also might check with your country about the 75 freq ... they MIGHT use it for police , safety , ambulance , county government , etc , etc , etc .. and if so , then glitching will be a MAJOR problem , besides the fact if you get caught .... could cost you a LOT .[&o] besides your equipment .
Old 12-19-2004, 02:45 PM
CMB RS35

ORIGINAL: TERBObob

you also might check with your country about the 75 freq ... they MIGHT use it for police , safety , ambulance , county government , etc , etc , etc .. and if so , then glitching will be a MAJOR problem , besides the fact if you get caught .... could cost you a LOT .[&o] besides your equipment .
TERBObob

He won't be able to use that equipment in a club, or competitively. The 75mhz frequency is used by our emergency services so at worse he could be responsible for a life being lost.
Equipment can and does get confiscated, and fines can be quite severe.
We have enough problems keeping lakes for use with nitro & gas boats here, it's just another nail in the coffin when people start using illegal frequencies as well.

MiniMental,

Buy yourself a decent 40mhz set and if I was you I would sell that 75Mhz set to someone in the US on ebay. I doubt any club would allow you to use that over here, whether running/racing cars or boats.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:56 PM
MiniMental

1st of all, i contacted a regulation thingy bout in, 2nd, i didnt know and i have competed with my EB4 S2 Pro that on 75mhz, but i just changed to 40 any way, and i just bought a 40mhz reciever for my 6ch. Dude, where bouts in uk r u???
Old 12-19-2004, 02:59 PM
MiniMental

[8D]what you guys rekon of the CH5 Locking hatch theory??, that wold be quite useful. I know what your thinking-WEIGHT. But my boat is quite big, micro servos dont weight nuffink really. As for retreival, i am going to buy a VAC-U-Tug Junior for £35-£40 which i will use my spare 2ch radio with
Old 12-19-2004, 03:29 PM
CMB RS35

MiniMental,

I am currently living in North Cornwall.
The locking hatch cover is a reasonable idea, and as you say mini servos can be as little as around 8-9g. The only thing worth considering is, what if the rx batteries fail or go flat with the hatch locked. How would you get to the radio box to replace or recharge the batteries, will you include a way to manually unlock it?
Old 12-19-2004, 03:57 PM
MiniMental

i will have unclippable thingys at the back of the hatch, but unclippable, so i can lift the hatch off backwards (like a battery case on a TX) or i will have a failsafe that opens the hatch before the batteries before they go flat [8D] only downfall would be if it went out of range, the hatch could blow off.... also, if i use a y lead on my failsafe, i could cut the throttle and open the hatch when it runs out of batteries, that way i wont need 2. Also, i live in Barrow in Furness, in the north west, on the coast (above morcambe)
Old 12-19-2004, 04:58 PM
TERBObob

Sorry for laughing , but the only failsafe I know of that works when the batteries go low/deas , is the SHARKRACING failsafe made by Carlos in Brazil ...
And if you do not have one of those .... how is the failsafe gonna open the hatch when and if the batteries go dead , when the failsafe requires juice from the batteries ?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:17 PM
MiniMental

I live in uk, i have a spare failsafe that moves a servo to the opposite position its in when the batt voltage drops below 2V, thus closing the throttle and opening the hatch
Old 12-20-2004, 06:16 AM
MiniMental

Which fuel off this page would be best for an O.S. .46 Max [link=http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/engine_equipment.htm]http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/engine_equipment.htm[/link]
Old 12-20-2004, 08:02 AM
TERBObob

Not really sure if I am reading that right ... but yo SHOULD use around 15 0r 20 per cent nitro content with at LEAST 16 per cent oil content ( doesn't matter if its synthetic mixed with castor or straight castor . Some believe in the pure syn , some in the pure castor . For fun , either does the trick .

Question : Did those options on that page have ONLY 6 per cent oil ? Is that what I read ?

Oil content should be at least 16 , up to 22 per cent and nitro 15 , and I myself would not go over 25 ....
The 15 should burn good in it ( does mine ) , and is cheaper to run/buy , and the loss of difference of R's won't even be noticable .
Oil content is MORE important than nitro content .... ( as long we don;t get squirrelly here and try 50 per cent nitro ... )

general rule of thumb .

small engine - higher nitro
large engine - lower nitro
somewhere in the middle engine .... somewhere in the middle nitro content .
Old 12-20-2004, 08:25 AM
MiniMental

Yo TB,
What you rekon of my hull so far??? i think it should do ok, i designed it (hopefully) so that the amount of hull in the water is quite small, thus, less drag
Old 12-20-2004, 08:35 AM
MiniMental

AHHHH, does any frequency Xtal work in any transmitter???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.